'CityMaps' Relaunches on iOS with Maps for Every US City, Social Features

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 25, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Mapping application CityMaps has relaunched on iOS with information for every city in the United States, as well as an array of social features such as the ability for users to share maps with one another.

The app includes data for over 15 million US locations, as well as contains turn-by-turn, walking, and public transit directions. It also contains notable social features such as the ability for both regular users and businesses to create and share maps through email and SMS, as well as integration into social networks like Instagram.
    CityMaps is available for free on iOS and can be downloaded through the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'CityMaps' Relaunches on iOS with Maps for Every US City, Social Features

2. macrumors 6502a

szw-mapple fan

I don't see any reasons for using this.

3. macrumors 6502

wolfshades

I don't see one either. Siri and Yelp work for me - when I use them. Might be useful when visiting a place you've never been before. Maybe.

4. macrumors regular

The nice thing about CityMaps is that the maps are stored on the device so WiFi, LTE, etc are not needed for some basic nav capability (doubt if all the features such as turn-by-tun directions are available offline but haven't tried myself).

I used to use CityMaps2Go on my iPod Touch before getting iPad with SIM. Have it on my iPad too but use Google Maps instead.

5. macrumors G3

roadbloc

Another maps app. Just what we all need.

6. macrumors member

According to their website you need to login with a Facebook account, so that makes it useless for those of us who ignore FB.....

7. macrumors regular

I just watched the video..... actually I couldn't finish it.

I was watching it hoping to learn about the app. Didn't help, I still have no idea what it is about.

8. macrumors 6502a

I think is cool.

9. macrumors regular

Thought this might be a useful maps app (to add to the literally THOUSANDS of others out there) but when I visited the link and read the reviews, well I won't be downloading this.

10. macrumors regular

The maps provided dont have enough details (at least outside of the US), but it's certainly useful when you are in an area without the Internet.

11. macrumors G3

charlituna

The reviews are that this version is buggy so I'm not likely to download it but I do find some of the ideas interesting and if they were incorporated into iOS Maps I think they could prove useful. Mainly I'm thinking of the stuff about businesses being able to update their info, including mapping within areas like college campuses, malls etc. and I rather like the idea of businesses being able to show their logo as that can make them more noticeable at a glance. But only if done when zoomed in so there's not a ton of overlapping cutter

12. macrumors Core

Dagless

Is this the one that had awful UK support? I don't want this.

13. macrumors 6502

good, good. but google maps are the best.

14. macrumors newbie

Actually I just looked myself and it says this:

So it looks like you can use it without FB.