Civ 3 help

Discussion in 'Games' started by JzzTrump22, May 21, 2004.

1. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

whats up, i've gotten petty far into the game. I'm the americans and the germans just won't leave me alone. They keep declaring war on me. They built 2 cities on the edge of the continent that i own and they keep sending troops over the boarder into my territory. I just want to get rid of these guys. Everytime i advance on their cities, my men are killed no matter what. How do i take over their towns??

2. kel macrumors newbie

civ 3

Yes, the game cheats. Even if your unit has the better position, higher rank, etc. they'll wipe you out. Sometimes a low ranking unit will take out like your entire army. It never happens with your low ranking unit and hence the game cheats. Your low ranking unit might last for a while but not wipe out their whole army. What I do is just start a new game when it cheats.

Edit: this is one thing I hate about this game. Another is when polution strikes and you have to move each worker one by one to clear the polution ( this is the worst thing about the game).

Edit: Yeah, taking a defensive position at first is a good strategy. One thing that you need to do is attack in force. Concentration of force is optimal in most situations unless you know the enemy is very weak. after attacking several of the enemies cities you'll know how weak he is.

Edit: you know why? cause the enemy wil reinforce his city that is being attacked. Another sign, the enemy will try to recapture cities that have just been taken for at least 3 turns. You can use this to your advantage cause I know what they are doing. Ha ha. Computer games.

gl,
    Kel.

3. alxths macrumors 6502

Which age is it? IF they really are that strong, you might want to take a defensive position and then try to persuade another nation to help you out..

4. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    haha, i just happen to be playing a game right now.. consider building a few fortifications between you and the cities that they have built, and mass troops there. Another way, might be a naval blockade, if you can do that before he declares war, you can help with his supply route.

anyways, how far along are you? and what can you build... my weapon of choice when im being attacked is cruise missiles... if i can support them ill have around 100 or so in reserve, and when they do attack, they usually just clump themselves in on square, and i just keep bombarding them.

get your rail network up as fast as you possibly can, to assist in making that happen, i'll typically have around 80 workers.

As kel noted, pollution... when you can have that many workers, i just leave a few fortified every so often, and i just move those guys around just to clean up pollution.

5. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm so screwed now. I'm almost past the middle ages. The germans declared war on me and now they won't even listen to me when i try to contact them. The thing that really sucks is that i don't know how they have elite swordsman now plus cavalry. They keep raiding my cities. Also i'm gfetting attacked from the complete opposite side of the map, and i know for a fact that there are no germans there. They come out of no where. I'm getting really pissed. I need to start a new game.

Does anyone have a good strategy at the beginning of a game? It seems that builing a lot of cities in a small area then expanding them is the best way to go, but i could be wrong, i'm only a beginner. Also, who is the best civ to be? I only chose the americans because they get the fighter jets. But i seemed to have a much easiere time with them than the romans.

6. cubist macrumors 68020

There is a great FAQ on the web. It suggests that the Babylonians are the best because of the scientific/religious advantages.

I wouldn't start another game. Put a bunch of good-defense soldiers (e.g. pikemen) in the cities he's attacking. If he attacks improvements, you can put pikemen on them, too, but make sure the cities have 3 or 4 good defensive units. Also, don't forget to build temples in the cities on the edge, colosseums later, to encourage his cities to change to your side.

Once you're at war in Civ3, even if you do make peace, it won't last long. It's best to avoid war if you can from the outset.

If you attack, you must attack with a large group of units and beat down a city in one fell swoop. Small, weak attacks are a waste of time.

7. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Is there a way to move multiple unites at once? Whenever i step foot into his territory, a guard will always fortify on his city. It's impossible to take over. The best fighters that i have right now are the long bowman.

8. DGFan macrumors 6502a

Something I came across on the Civ boards is the notion that using the Persians is cheating. The Persians are just wrong. The combination of industrious (roads to your enemies!) and immortals is sick.

That's why I usually play other, suckier, nations. Otherwise it's just too easy
    :D

9. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

What level are you playing? try loering teh level if it is too difficult. I've never had problems with the game cheating before, sounds like crybaby talk to me. The Americans suck, that's your first mistake. pick a Civ with combinations of Industrious, Religious, Scientific, and Militaristic traits. The Persians, Egyptians, Babylonians, Chinese, and Japanese are all good.

10. porovaara macrumors regular

Sounds like you just need more experience. The computer will attack whoever will give it the most benefit by winning. Typically this tends to be you if you are located on the same continent.

Also the Americans do not suck, like each group in Civ, there's a specific way you must play each society. I've won many times with America at various difficulty levels. The problem is America tends to start near the Indians (they all have powerful ancient armies) and their (American) advantages don't become apparent until you get Industrialization. Once you have that, and a ton of railroads your civ's power will balloon like crazy. So as America don't expect to lead the entire game but know that as soon as you have factories everywhere your extra production turns into a huge advantage.

11. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

12. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

i've found out that the best strategy for americans is to have a strong culture and avoid war at any cost. put your effort into expanding your territory whenever possible and enforcing your culture - that way you shouldn't have much trouble. use diplomacy to gain technology even if it cost you significant amount of money, because the money-making is what the americans do best.

makes me wonder... is there a connection to a real life? mmh... :)

13. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

If i were to start a new file, what is the best thing to do as soon as i start besides explore the land? Should i produce an army right away or should i try to build many cities? Also, is it wise to put cities on the boarder of an ocean where enemies are looking to come onto the land?

14. porovaara macrumors regular

Starting position in CIV3 is essential. (W)ait with your settler and use whatever units you have to head to high ground and get a good look at the land. If you are not either near a river, some highly productive land or good resources don't be afraid to quit and start over. If you don't have scouts build the cheapest army unit available and send them out searching immediately, you need to learn where you nearest neighbors are and get tech from random tribes. If you find out you are in a crappy location in the first 30 or so turns, start over.

Seriously, do it. There's nothing worse than investing two or three hours into a game to find out that four other CIVs have been sharing a huge continent and tech with each other while you are isolated and trapped in awful terrain.

If you are new to the game play as the various Indians (Aztecs, etc...) a couple of times because they have strong military units... you probably won't do well enough to need to worry about playing in the modern era.

My personal starting strategy with CIVs who don't have scouts. Build 3 warriors as soon as possible, sending them off in various directions looking for tribes and other people. Start down to the tech tree so you can get the Great Library early on, this sacrifices a lot early in the game since you aren't researching tech that helps you with military units. Found a few cities during this time, which ever one of these has the highest production start them building either a wonder or the palace but DON'T let them complete. When you get the appropriate tech immediately switch to the Great Library wonder. Having this and doing decent exploration means you can then stop putting any money into tech. Convert to Monarchy or better and spend spend spend your way to better cities and armies. By the time Education comes around and ends the effect of the Great Library you should be near Feudalism which means pikeman and cities practically no enemy can take. As long as you have expanded well and bought high culture items with your cash your civ should have a large base of cities now which are immune to leaving you and the cities of other civs will be ripe for the picking because of their low culture values.

15. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

I started a new game for the hell of it. I'm a little confused. I'm building all these things for the people like the colliseum, library, temple, and not really building too much of an army. But i'm still losing money every turn. I don't understand. I'm not just starting out either. I'm a good 4 hours into the game. I'm up at over 700 gold but now i'm losing 4 or 5 every turn.