Civ IV details please

Discussion in 'Games' started by jamesmcd, Jun 22, 2006.

1. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Hey fellow gamers,

I have been looking for a good game that will take me more than a day to complete. I bought F.E.A.R. yesterday (talk about a rip-off of The Ring), and today, I have completed the single player missions. This is after only a few hours of play.

Anyway, I think Civ IV may just be the ticket.

I read a comment from someone that this game is largely online. What gives with that? Is he talking a load of bollocks? I do not intend to play a game online at all, as my gaming PC is mostly offline.

Anyone want to give a breif detail on this game?

Cheers.

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I have it for PeeCee and have never played it online. Great game, highly recommended jamesmcd. :)

3. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

Highly adicitive game. Check out www.civfanatics.com, they should have more info on Civ IV for MAC. They also have a MAC section in the forum. Plenty of fun playing single player.

4. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

I've yet to play it online with my PC... the offline campaigns and such are time-consuming enough as is. :)

5. gallagb macrumors 6502

gallagb

6. Roads0 macrumors newbie

Roads0

Civilization IV is one of the greatest strategy games to hit the market. It's a great game that will take HOURS to master. It's also awesome that they got Leonard Nimoy to do the narration.

I played the game on a Dell and it started off great but my lack of memory (512) and graphics card took its toll. I stopped playing every game when I got about 5 cities because there was just too much going on on the screen. I would be weary about playing it on a Macbook, but I'm gonna try it anyway, because I havn't been able to play it since my PC died.

7. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

He says it ran fine on his MacBook with 512MB of RAM. Can anyone tell me how smooth exactly? I don't want to spend $50 on the game. I really think Aspyr should release demos.

8. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

I am never going to buy a game for Mac OS X, they run so much better on XP.

9. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

Civ IV runs fine on my 2.0GHz 2GB RAM MacBook. I haven't noticed any video stuttering or problems and I have played a moderate sized world map with 6 civilizations and probably 40 cities near the end of the game. It is rendered in 3D but frame rate for Civ is far less important than for a first person shooter.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Wow, it stutters quite a lot with my iMac G5 2Ghz with ATI 9600 graphics. (at 1024 x 768) especially with lots of units on screen. Clearly those integrated graphics aren't bad.

11. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

quite encouraging. :) maybe I'll give it a try!

12. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

it took about 4 months and 3-4 updates to get it working well on pc.
    it has only been out for about 3 weeks for mac and has had problems.

if you ok playing with some issues while waiting for updates, go for the mac version.

13. macaddicted macrumors regular

macaddicted

I just ordered it from Amazon and can't wait. i was still playing the original Civ for a long time.