Civ IV: Mac bound?

Discussion in 'Games' started by jMc, Oct 13, 2005.

1. jMc macrumors 6502

jMc

Does anyone think this means what I think it means?

Beta testers needed

If so, I'm a very happy man...

jx

2. kparvez macrumors member

It's great that it's posted on the civfanatics forum, but they technically didn't mention it was Civ IV. :(

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Its posted in the Civ3 section... so what else would they be beta testing? There are no new PC games coming out like the Civ series that I know of... so this is either Civ 4 or a Mac-only game. Either way, i sent them my info :D

4. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

If it's in the Civ III section, it may be for the expansion packs.

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

There is only 1 expansion pack for Civ III, and it has been out for the PC for quite a while.... seems unlikely that Aspyr would be spending money to develop it now, right when Civ 4 is coming out... but who knows :p

6. applekid macrumors 68020

The requirements seems to suggest the long-forgotten Civ 3 expansion.

This is interesting seeing a real beta tester request from Aspyr.

7. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

There are two expansion packs and the system requirements are the same as Civ III.

8. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Aspyr didn't even develop Civ III, so I think that just further lessens the chance of this being a Civ III expansion.

That said, I don't know if it helps the case of this being Civ IV either... since MacSoft would probably have a better chance of "scoring" this port.

9. jMc thread starter macrumors 6502

jMc

I think the evidence is against it being the Civ III expansions. As has already been pointed out, these would undoubtedly be produced by MacSoft, and the fact that the PC version of Civ IV is out in a matter of weeks just seems to make an overdue port of the Civ III expansions slightly pointless (though I know previous Civ games have had a lot more lasting appeal than games of other types).

The PC requirements for Civ IV are a follows: 1 GHz CPU, 256MB RAM, and a 32MB video card with hardware transform and lighting capabilities. The recommended Specifications are: 512MB of ram, Pentium4 processor, and a recent graphics card (like the Radeon 9800).

So it would seem that 500MHz G3 would be pushing it - but then again, part of the point of Beta testing is also seeing where the limitations of a game lie, and there's no reason why Aspyr would not want to have a number of Beta testers whose systems didn't meet the forecast minimums.

FYI the minimum specs for Civ III on Mac were a 300Mhz iMac PowerPC G3 processor or faster (500Mhz preferred), 128MB for Mac OS X; 64MB RAM for Mac OS 8.6 or higher (96MB preferred), 500MB hard disk space (650MB preferred), Monitor and video card capable of at least 1024x768 resolution.

Also why would Aspyr post this request on the Civfanatics forum? For a non-Civ game, why not post on a non-Civ game message board? Why not post on the IMG message board for example?

At the end of the day this game is either Civ IV, or a game very similar to the Civ series (but what could that be?).

jx

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Civ II is and always will be the best Civ as far as I'm concerned, so I can't say I'm too excited about CiV IV. I'll try it out at some point on the PC, but Civ II is the classic, and it would take a lot to top that one. :cool:

11. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

What is it about Civ II that makes it great? By the time I switched, Civ III was out and I didn't know any better. :p

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Civ II was just perfect, I don't know, hard to describe. ;) I played Civ I, Civ III, Call to Power, and always kept coming back to Civ II - it's just one of those things I guess. :cool:

13. cubist macrumors 68020

First, it was less complicated. Second, it was more fun: advisor videos, wonder videos, etc. If you haven't played Civ2, and you like Civ3, you owe it to yourself to go find a copy. Make sure you get the original Civ2 and not one of the derivatives like Test of Time that are severely de-contented. (edit) if you can, get the Gold Edition so you can play the Dinosaur and Atlantis scenarios - they're gobs of fun!

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Exactly - it was simply more fun, what more can you say? :)

And I like your recommendation - a Civ fan who hasn't played Civ II is not a Civ fan. ;) :cool:

15. HydroMan macrumors 6502

HydroMan

I'm a Civilization fan and have played all the Civ's, Civ II is still my favourite especially the video advisors, the Elvis advisor was my personal favourite "uh huh huhh", I eagerly await Civ IV as I'm playing Civ III to death and getting easily bored with civil disorder/keeping people happy, 'cos in the real world leaders couldn't give a heck about peoples happiness and in Civ IV this has been curtailed, also rigidly following the tech tree is a pain and to end this I would love to see Age of Empires III come to the Mac as I love this war game.

16. takao macrumors 68040

takao

with only 10 days to the european release and after watching the ign video review:

i'm so going to buy this... finally a game where i don't have doubts about spending the full price...can't wait