Civ IV not working on rev B 17" pb

Discussion in 'Games' started by mishi, Jul 7, 2006.

1. mishi macrumors regular

mishi

does the game need tiger or something...because its really NOT working on my powerbook(running 10.3.9) it does not even open at all.

i know it will run bad, but has anyone else had any luck even getting it to open on a similar to my computer (specs in sig):)

2. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

Take a look at the civfanatics.com mac forum -- Brad Oliver, one of the Aspyr programmers, has been posting regularly. Everyone is having problems with the game. Intel Mac users are getting kernal panics if they are using the initial download of 10.4.7. No one is getting the sound to work properly. Mid-game it takes me roughly 2 minutes for the game to move from one turn to the next (on an iMac G5 2.1 ghz.)

I hate to say this because Civ 4 is a remarkable game, but don't buy it. A patch is at least a month in the future, they don't even know yet which old version of Tiger the game works best on. Eventually they'll iron out the issues, but clearly this game shouldn't have shipped when it did.

3. alec macrumors regular

You hit the nail on the head -- people basically paid to be beta testers. But Aspyr is a good company so I expect them to patch the game rather quickly.

4. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I've got the game running on my 15" PB (1.67 Ghz, 128 MB VRAM, 1.5 GB RAM, 10.4.7). It runs, but only just. Movies play at like 8 FPS, scroll is slow, everything's slow except for the cursor movement. It was "playable" till about 1200 A.D (5 players, small map). Now it's juuuust barely playable, but there is a fair amount of pain involved. It's a very awesome game though. Brad said that the Core Audio / OpenAL sound issues are also causing performance problems on PPC macs, so I'm hopeful the patch will make the game more playable.