Civ IV - The Cheats

Discussion in 'Games' started by McT, Sep 20, 2006.

1. McT macrumors newbie

I've beaten the game every possible way accept by a Cultural win (boring). Now it's time to have some fun!

Searching for cheats revealed this on Gamespot.com:

Debug Codes
    Open the "civ4config" file found in your Sid Meire's Civilization IV install directory (Default is "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4") find "cheatmode = 0", change it to "cheatmode = chipotle".

Then it lists a bunch of commands to use for a variety of cheats. Here is the link if anyone is interested: Gamespot Civ IV Cheat Page

The problem is the Mac version doesn't have, or I can't find the "civ4config" file. I've been scouring the .xml files but they are quite long and honestly, I'll never find it.

Anyone know what the config file mac equivalent is called?

2. mufflon macrumors 6502

there's always the plist in your user library direction.

make a spotlight check for civ / civilisation and see what you find.

It's also possible you won't find a file which works the same way, but you can always try, I suppose :)

A quick google didn't help either, sorry :(

3. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

You can always use the in-game World Editor or whatever it's called.

The only problem is that it's as slow as crap.

4. theanimaster macrumors 6502

theanimaster

found it

It's the file in the following folder:

user/documents/Civilization IV/CivilizationIV.ini

Open it up with TextEdit and look up "cheat" and change the value to what's mentioned on the gamespot site.

NUKES!!!

5. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

6. mi5moav macrumors regular

After cheatcode=chipotle

Where and how do you bring up the console to bring up debug menu or whatever to type in the cheat codes?

all i have to do is hit the ~ key during game play to bring up the console is this correct?

7. mufflon macrumors 6502

And I who always loved beating civ the cultural way. Too bad the restless hordes are raging in the game, calling for a just emperor to proclaim prosperity!

Now see what you've done, I've just got over my civ 3 addiction! (my trusted advisers says this isn't so, so we'll see) Damn you! :)