Civ3

Discussion in 'Games' started by conceptdev, Mar 22, 2003.

1. conceptdev macrumors regular

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

so what i realized recently is that you really gotta work on getting cash in order to have your technology advance quickly... i know that seems obvious, but to me i always put money second and tried to build cities and culture first... but now i see how important it is.

i had planes flying around in like 1700 or something. of course, this was on "warlord" or whatever... the second easiest. i've beaten it a few times on that setting, but when i bump it up just one notch it seems to get so much harder to get off to a good start. but next time i start again, i'll give it another try.

i won the un elections in 1846, but continued to see what i could do next. i have taken over about 50% of the land and my remaining opponents are a very weak roman race with like 4 cities. egypt is decently powerful, though i could take them if i had the need... america is taking up half a continent and i would have a hard time getting them, at least without nukes and a few years put into prepping... sometimes before i quit for the day i nuke folks just to see the reaction. ha.

have you won? what level? etc.... anyone beaten it on anything above regent?

any favorite path?

i've done space race, and i could win the score based victory. and i've done un. i want to do the military one next. just have to figure out the proper tactics.

ps. maybe duke (or another mod) should move this to gaming?

3. conceptdev thread starter macrumors regular

Didn't realize there was a gaming thread - my bad.

I can consitently win a score based victory on the easiest level but anything other than that - forget
    it. Its a rut thats driving me up the wall - I can press on with R&D at 100% for the whole game and just not get the tech up.

I had a very good run with Germany once but stopped when they started to get Panzers - it creeped me out too much.

How do you work on getting the cash up?

4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

just make sure you have roads everywhere, and work on mining places, especially ones that have gold in em or are hills or mountains or whatever... and the more cities the better, in general. i usually keep my spending at the max i can have it before i start to lose money... with at least like 10% on happiness usually... also, work to get the republic quickly, and then democracy... don't even mess with monarchy. and communism is only worthwhile if you are going to be doing a military victory... if you do, democracy will screw you because people will get pissed after a few turns at war.

5. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

no worries. moved.

ive never played before. watched some friends play though. but you guys got me thinking about taking the game for a spin. sounds like an old game i liked called Pax Imperia (though that was set in space). but civ is basically the original in this particular gaming genre.

6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

just be prepared to put everything else aside once you get into it... ha.

it can easily end up being 4 am without even realizing it.

7. conceptdev thread starter macrumors regular

You seem to be right, I took an Mao so I have industrious (quicker roads etc) and militaristic (lower unit costs) and sent an army of workers about to building mines etc... My cities are extremely more productive and the science is going at better rate. 210 AD and things are looking good.

Cheers.

8. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

I've been addicted to the civ series for years. I put it on the largest land mass available and about 2 other players. Then I expand as fast as I can - size is key. Settlers, settlers, settlers. If I run into another civ on my landmass in early rounds I usually give up and start over. It's all economic for me, my defenses are like an egg shell. If someone comes after me, I rely on giving up a few cities as I switch over to war prodcution - therefore, if I don't have a major technological edge I'm doomed.

I agree that anything but republic and democracy are wastes of time if you're trying to develop. Communism if I get into a dragged out war.

9. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

well i just finished my first game of civ3. did the tutorial (which wasnt very helpful).

kidna fun. i was stuck on a tiny landmass boxed in by egyptians so i got a terrible start (that and i had no idea what i was doing at first).

i came in second to the persians but i had a better military and technology than anyone else. think if i had kept playing i could have won, but it would have involved huge wars (and everyone was allied against me at the time the game closed).

fun stuff though.

10. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i played all night with my girlfriend, and then again this morning some... we've got quite a game going. we're on regent (3rd easiest) with standard land, continents, and random weather. we have a huge mass of land that we staked out early and set up a ring around the area. that way, if the adjacent civ tries to build a city, they have to go inside our cities, which means they are much more likely to secede to us eventually, through cultural influence. which can be extremely helpful.

however, we somehow are pretty decently behind in advances. probably about 3-5 advances behind at any given time... that said, we are well ahead in score, which i don't even usually get. usually i am way ahead in culture, but my power/score take a while to catch up

going well, but i do have to do some work today... spent all of spring break playing civ and thus have to make up for it. ha...

foxer- which methods of victory have you managed? which difficulty levels?

11. conceptdev thread starter macrumors regular

Followed your advice on a massive world map which is in fact a map of the real world. Managed to achieve my first diplomatic victory - the tech really surged ahead to but started to dissipate near the end. I think first of all because the other civs were left so far behind there was no chance at tech trading and secondly me economy was crippled by corruption - I had democracy, tribunals in every town and the forbidden city yet still I was losing 300 per turn in corruption - I just don't get that.

How much harder does the game get as you increase the difficulty - do any of the basic dynamics change or does the AI just get smarter or more aggresive?

I too have to put the civ away for awhile between that, war on & the internet by productivity has become non-existent as of late - the perils of working from home.

12. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

ok guys since you made me start this game you are under an obligation to give me some advice :D

Just finished my third game, and I have some questions.

I had a lot of civil disorder in outying cities. I solved this eventually by building more palaces. Is there another way to prevent disorder (other than increasing happiness?) , because palaces take forever to build.

How do I make more money(gold)? I have had huge empires and I am barely limbing along when it comes to money. I have to reduce research just to stay in the positive. I end up way behind in terms of technology (behind real timelines, my enemies are still behind me). I have no military and workers constantly building and working (on automate). Mostly I am losing huge amounts of money to corrupion.

Is there a way to provoke your enemy into declaring war so you don't piss off your citizens? When I have tanks and planes and they have warriors I would think I could just plow right through them, but all my cities erupt into civil disorder as soon as I attack. Waiting for them to give up just takes too long.

Any recommendations on ethnic group to pick and what governments to pick?

13. conceptdev thread starter macrumors regular

Lemon:

I followed JelloShots' advice on the money and it worked - build build build - mines & roads everywhere.

As far and war and corruption are concerned I can offer a bit of help.

Corruption - go to republic, democracy quickly to avoid corruption and speed up science. Build the forbidden city. Make sure all towns are linked up to each other. Build "tribunals" (my copy is in French I don't know what they call them in English). That keeps corruption under control through almost to the end of the middle ages in tech.

War & Economy - One of the things you will need to fight a war and defend your territory is military units - the second you go to republic your unit costs will quickly mount up. If you have a small polity like the (real) Greeks did and not a vast military force monarchy will sustain your empire. If you have a democratic or republican Civ but war is upon you or you have a short little conquest lined up switch governments quickly, religious Civs can switch governments in one turn. Trade. If you have a good tech lead you can sell tech that will still leave your competitors behind for a kings ransom.

Pacification of the Masses - Build culture & or happines producing structures. Garrison at least one military unit per town if things are down across the board. Make sure citizens aren't starving to death or insanely poor. Make sure your Civ has an adequate supply of luxury goods.

I still have major corruption problems and am no Civ master but these things tend help.

14. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

I've never played Civ3. Anyone want to give me a synopsis?

15. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

you cannot build multiple palaces. how it works is that you have a palace, which represents your capital. this place is the least hit by corruption, and i'm sure the palace affects happiness (positively). the forbidden palace is a small wonder that can be built in ONE city, once. that acts like a palace. so effectively what you want to do is have your palace and forbidden palace placed so that geographically, they are closest to the most cities. say you have one continent that's mostly tall... put one nearly all the way north (about 1-2 cities south of the northern coast) and the other one nearly all the way south (1-2 cities north of the southern coast). that's just an example... but i think you get the idea, if not, i can go further.... oh yes, palaces being close reduce corruption... so that applies to your next question too.

main thing for corruption: change gov't to republic asap, and then to democracy. then built courthouses (needs code of laws) and police stations (needs communism) everywhere, especially those places further away from your palace. the key to getting tech in time is money. i had the UN in 1840s. planes in early 1800s or before probably. all because i had cash. certain city improvements increase money (marketplace, banks). there are a few wonders that help as well. specifically, adam smith's trading post (or something like that)... what this does is pay for all your commerce based city improvements which usually cost 1 gold a piece, per turn... so all airports, harbors, banks, etc... that's a lot of money if you have a lot of cities... i always try to get that. roads also give more money to a square. so the first thing to do when you get a city is look at where your person in the city is working, and build a road there and on all the spots when you get a chance. mines can increase gold, so can irrigation. so just build the hell out of the place. workers are very valuable, up until late in the game. speaking of which, democracy gives your workers 150% efficiency. so they can complete tasks much quicker. build railroads as soon as you can. they increase output of mines and irrigation by one. and i think they increase gold. not to mention that you can move around your entire continent in one turn if it's all connected... i digress.

as far as i know, even if you did provoke them, you wouldn't be seen as not being at war... main thing, if you want to fight a lot, is to switch to communism (or just don't do democracy). also, during war, increase happiness spending and decrease science.... also, make sure you build colosseums, cathedrals, etc. another great war tactic is to get your enemy in dire straits, offer a treaty and get whatever they will offer for it (often includes cities, lots of cash, techs)... and then just finish em off... it's dirty, and people won't trust you afterwards, but if you're at war, then doesn't matter. doesn't help if you want to do UN win though.... and also, if you take over a city, the people will remain somewhat loyal to their own race... so if you plan to be at war a while, then just disband the city, and start one there with your own settler.... kinda sucks, but is sometimes worthwhile.

i have found the iroquois to be great. zululand is also good..... if you're iroquois (or any other expansionist race) you should get a scout.... send them out asap and find as many tribes as you can.... they will hand over techs very often.... being expansionist helps the outcome of finding tribes be positive.....

must go now. feel free to ask more. enjoy!

16. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

thanks for the great responses conceptdev and jelloshotsrule. I got a few more if you don't mind.

I finished my spaceship but can't launch because I can't get the spaceship window open. I click the spaceship button but nothing happens. grrr the indians are catching up!

Do you guys share technology with your neighbors? I find that when I don't I get way ahead. When I do share they end up sharing it with eachother (even my enemies) and they catch up to me. In one game I had a feud with the Chinese (they took a few of my cities early on) so I kept giving tech to the Indians and Egpytians who were fighting with the Chinese. Turned out the Egpytians gave all the Tech to the Chinese which they then used to attack me. grrrr. Is there no loyalty in this game? The computer never seems to have tech I need so it is entirely one way. Is lots of tech tarde how you guys advance so quickly?

In some of my games all my neighbors have protection agreements and such, but I don't have that option because they haven't built an embassy in my city. How do I get embassies? I could totally wipe out the Egypians, but they have a pact with the Indians who just bomb the hell out of me as soon as I attack a few cities that should be mine anyway. And to think i forgave the Indians after they took Cincinatti. I even sold them communism (which they seem to be using to kick my ass).

war doesn't seem to be the answer. I try to take a single city and after that they wont even talk to em so no chances of peace, and with all my cities in revolt over the war the enemy catches up in tech quickly. getting cities to surrender seems good, but slow. I tend to build cathedrals, collesiums, and other cool things on my borders to push my culture out but is there other things i can do to get them to join me?

When you guys research tech do you just get everything or do you follow certain paths to get some more valuable things first?

When I was american i noticed i would discover tech i wasnt researching. does this happen for all races or just a few (which ones?) the romans dont seem to do it (stupid no good romans).

17. conceptdev thread starter macrumors regular

Lemon:

First of props on building the space ship - never pulled that one off.

As far as sharing tech goes, one you give it to one civ consider it disseminated to all. This can be a pain but if you trade or sell a tech to one civ immediately go and get the most for it you can from all the others. I find in the primitive stages of the game tech trading is a great way to get ahead but by the middle ages I don't give out tech unless I have a substantial lead. BTW in the early stages finding all the tribal villages is a must because they will often give extra tech which can give a big boost. Civs which are "scientific" get an extra time period everytime you reach a new era and also give out random free techs.

Culture wise, it is a great way to take over competing cities if I see an area of territory I want but think a competing civ will try to colonize I build a city in proximity to theirs and have build nothing but culture and send workers and soldiers up from other cities. Once
    My cultural influence envelopes that city I switch its production culture producing buildings and switch the old culture producer to building infrastructure.

You can establish embassies by pressing command-e I believe also you need to have writing before you can open them. You can stop everyone from getting mad at you if you constantly trade with everyone, plus its good for your cash flow.

Also once your cities have markets, banks and factories and you set them to produce wealth they can make 20 gold per turn. Wall street is a good wonder, you need to have 5 banks to build it but it lets you make interest up to 50 gold per turn which is a good way to make money as well. What I find helps as well is building the wonders which will trigger a golden age, nothing gets things going like a golden age.

That should help, find anyting interesting please post it - infact I would like to hear more about the spaceship building - and post questions.

18. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i have had that problem recently, but i thought it was because i had already won once (i won with the UN, but continued and built the space ship for more points on my way to killing everyone. ha). does it make a little like swoosh sound when you click it, but then it doesn't open?? i'm not sure what's going on, but i have done it before successfully so the only thing i can say is keep trying??? ha. keep me posted on that.

the basic answer is..... it depends.... if i want to kill them, then i wouldn't trade them any military type advances for sure, and depending on how much cash i have, then i might not trade anything. all depends on if i need money and if they'll pay me for an advance. i've gotten as much as like 250 gold.... per turn! interestingly enough, in my current game, i have a huge amount of land, more than usual, and yet i am slow as hell in advances... go figure... i'm winning in score though, and it's on regent, so i'm not too upset yet.

i guess command e works. never knew about that shortcut... you can also double click on the little star next to your capital city's name... probably waponi woo eh? ha. be careful to sign mutual protection pacts... if you do, and that person gets into a war, then you are dragged in, which can obviously be bad. but it's definitely good if you're about to attack. though, it could get the other people so involved that they end up taking cities that you were going to take.... another downside.

yeah, you can't just take a single city ever basically... you gotta take about 3-4 first... but you really shouldn't be having that much problem with disorder.... what is your happiness spending at? (domestic advisor)... and what gov't do you have?

depends which route i'm going.. i NEVER research monarchy. there are techs that you don't HAVE to research. they have the little null symbol type thing in the science advisor window. i also rarely get free artistry and things like that... as for getting things you weren't researching.... 3 different things it could be (no, it's not civ dependent).

1. you might get an advance through a tribe that you were already researching, and have forgotten to check what they changed you to (yeah, that would be obvious i think, i realize that).

2. if you build the great library (a great thing to do), then you get any advance that 2 other civs have already gotten.... so you might randomly get one if they do..

3. if you build the theory of evolution (a wonder that comes from the scientific method advance), then you get two advances free. the first you get is automatically the one you are researching upon completion of building the wonder, and you can choose the second...

those are the only things i could think of...

another few tips

1. getting luxury items (silks, furs, gems, etc) make your people happy. make sure to build roads to them from your city, and then make suer you have a road from your city to your capital so that everyone feels the effect... that could help your civil disorder issue....

2. on that note, in case you don't know (sorry for speaking down if that's the case), within the city view, you can click on a space that a person is working on and take them off it... they will automatically become "entertainers" and thus make your people happier... so as soon as you get civil disorder, take a worker or two off their duties within the city and you should be ok... this is usually big when you have a freshly built city that has like 4+ people in it fairly quickly... likewise, you can click on the center square within the city view (where your city is) and it will automatically spread your workers around most efficiently. this, however, works for food efficiency, so if you want to stop growing for a while and just get shields, then you'll have to adjust

3. a great tactic for building wonders is this... if you are researching an advance that produces a wonder (let's say masonry-pyramids)... what you can do is take a city that is productive and start it building a palace, as that will take longer than it would take to get the necessary advance. then, when you get the advance, switch that city to the pyramids (or whatever) and you have started a stockpile towards it.... note that you could effectively do this with any large item, just make sure the first thing you start on will take longer than getting the advance, and you'll be set. also note, you cannot build a palace in your capital, so you can't do it as easily there. and also, you can only build one palace at once, so you can only use that method one at a time unless you have other huge items you could start on

anyhoo, keep it coming. this is less time consuming than playing myself, though it is at least a little taste of it during my off days... ha

19. crapple33 macrumors member

This is kind of off topic, but anybody played Civilization - Call to Power? I know it's not officially made by Sid Meier, but damn is it a good game. It's by far the easiest Civilization game out of the two others I've played, Civ 3 and Civ 2. And since I'm a wimp and hate too much of a challenge, CTP is perfect for me. On the easiest level, none of the other civilizations offer any resistance at all, and i'm usually so far ahead of them on the power graph that it just looks like they're all wiped out. I think in my best game it was like 2300, I had researched all the techs, I had I think almost 2,000,000,000 people, and the only reason I hadn't built the Xenoform Lab (equivilant to building the space ship) was that I was delaying it so I could raise my score more. When I finally finished, my approval rating was i think around 300%. So, in conclusion, you guys should check out Call to Power.

20. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

hmm. call to power rings a bell. haven't seen/played though... when did it come out?

21. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

highest scores anyone?

i think mine's about 1700, having not finished quite yet. and yet that still isn't all that high, based on how i only get "the cruel" title with like 1400 points...

22. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

has anyone tried changing government types, and then your people turning into an anarchism? i always get this and i know that rebublic makes more money than the default government (depotism).

also, i need a lot of hints that won't be found anywhere else.

thanks in advance

23. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I still play Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri a lot.

When I get in the mood for Civ, I pull out my old 486SX-25 and fire up the origional version! I could never bring myself around to paying $50 for Civ III and of course the prices never go down. Maybe I will just hold out for SimCity 4.

24. crapple33 macrumors member

umm... a while ago. it was released for mac in 1999, i think. the graphics are pretty good, but it only runs in classic.

yeah, i have alpha centauri and alien crossfire. i actually think they're better than civilization 3 in terms of gameplay and general enjoyment.

yeah, sometimes i think the graphics just take away from the gameplay. that's why i still consider super nintendo the best console ever. i wouldn't necessarily buy sim city 4, though. to me, it looks like maxis' new strategy is "make all our games look like the sims". from screenshots of sim city 4, it looks like they're trying to make it integrate with the sims and stuff. this could be a good thing if you like the sims, but not everyone does. i personally think sim city 2000 was the best.

25. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

That is what is supposed to happen. To change governments you get your people to revolt which leads to a few turns (or one turn if you are religious) of anarchy and at the end of it you get to pick from a list of the government types you know of. So just stick it out for a few turns and you will be in control again.