civIII

Discussion in 'Games' started by Carpathian, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Carpathian macrumors newbie

Carpathian

Any other CivIII fans here? Is there any hope the expansions will come out in Mac versions - esp. the multiplayer expansion (Play the World)?

2. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Good question. I am a huge Civ fan........still partial to 1 though.

3. SuperChuck macrumors 6502

SuperChuck

Sadly, there will be no Mac multiplayer support. That was announced a while back. The good news is that Civ4 will come out for the Mac. Hopefully not too long after the PeeCee version.

4. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I dont know about expansions but Im a HUGE civ fan but I kind of prefer II to III. Dont know why :p

5. stutz macrumors member

Nope. Sorry.

I'm sorry to report that the answer to your original question is "NO". MacSoft did come out with the Game of the Year edition for Civ III (which had some extra stuff from the original), but the other expansions the PC got are not coming and never will. If you want to hear proof from Al Schilling, Pres of MacSoft, go here and click to about 2/3 way through the broadcast of the Gamesome Mac.

http://www.macradio.com/monday/Gamesome_Mac_2004_09_20.html

It's a shame because I love that damn game, even if it sucks hours of my life away.

Civ IV is coming to the Mac, SuperChuck?!? That would be great news. Got a link because IMG would be buzzing about this one.

Thanks

Stutz

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I play a lot of games and beta test for one of the biggest on the Mac, but I can ALWAYS got back to Civ3 and play it! It's one of the few games that truely has replayability (and has for a long time now). Unfortunately, I still suck at the harder levels.

7. cubist macrumors 68020

Like Patmian, I like 2 better than 3. Basically, it's more fun: the videos are better, the graphics are simpler, and the Advisors are a blast! I don't know why they dropped the videos in Civ3, maybe for internationalization.

What's supposed to be new in Civ4? This is the first I've heard of it.

8. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I love Civ III. I wish that the expansion packs would be released, but MacSoft was bought out by another outfit years ago and the new parent company said that they would not be porting the expansion packs. Civ IV is slated to be released this Fall for the PC. A Mac port has not been announced.

9. SuperChuck macrumors 6502

SuperChuck

Strange...I could have sworn I read a confirmation of Mac support for Civ4 somewhere, but a trusty google search gets me no love.

Perhaps I had just read details about Civ4 and made the assumption that it would be released for the Mac. You can rest assured that a Mac version will come eventually - previous versions have enjoyed massive sales on the Mac platform.

I've bought the last version three times (Bought when came out, bought after that CD got lost, bought GOTY edition)

10. anotherjeff macrumors regular

anotherjeff

If you want to meet some of your Civ II needs, it looks like freeciv might be a good choice.

11. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I love CivIII but I never win... I always get destroyed first.

12. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Maybe lower the difficulty. It's fairly easy on the first two levels.

13. Greencardman macrumors 6502

There are some pretty good sites on how to play civ at the higher levels. Mostly it involves sneakery and unfair dealings, which being a good guy, I obviously had never thought of. A lot of people have also delved into how the AI works, and plan accordingly. I think the biggest thing I found out is that they sell techs to each other. So if you sell one, they sell it amongst themselves, or they trade with each other to stay at the same level technologically. So the idea is once you get a tech, always sell it on your turn, and when you sell it, sell it to every AI, starting with the one likely to bid the highest. And sell all the way down, even if the last one pays you crap.

I was one of those players that always tried to balance out making money and getting tech, and then I read the sites, and a lot of players on high levels just make money and buy all their techs from the AI. I hadn't ever thought of that.

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I'm with you - Civ II is my favorite Civ game, I preferred it over Civ III. Although Civ II is complicated, I didn't mind it, however Civ III's complexity seemed to annoy me, and was a bit much.

I'm also a huge Alpha Centauri fan :cool:

15. sneckner macrumors newbie

Alpha Centauri

It is a shame they will not port firaxis games. Alpha Centauri is the best civ-like game EVER. What about the new Pirates? Please....

16. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Never played Pirates - is it any good?

Yah, I loved Alpha Centauri as well, awesome game... :cool:

17. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

My favorite game of all time. Other games are entertaining for a while, but you can do so much with Civ 3 to keep it interesting.

18. sneckner macrumors newbie

Pirates

Pirates is fun; I've only played the original, not the new PC game, but if Sid Meier is as good as I think he is, it must be overwhelmingly fun. Do you think they will release a new Alpha Centauri? At one point it was THE highest ranked strtegy game.

19. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

We can only hope!

20. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Are there ant scenarios (um, any scenarios) for Civ III on the Mac? New maps. Things like that. I liked that on Civ II, like playing WWII and the Roman Empire and whatnot.

21. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yah, those scenarios were fun - I loved how the tanks for the Germans in WWII were twice as powerful and had 3x the number of moves/turn as normal tanks. It was the Blitzkreig after all!

22. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I love all civs equally.

By the way. You should download the free map editor once you get tired playing the random map.

http://www.macgamefiles.com/detail.php?item=17571

Edit: Crap! it crashes at startup on 10.3. I will try putting it in my Civ 3 folder when I get home to see if it works.

I will try to retreive my old "Dune" map if you want to play it. It's quite a challenge with most squares producing 1 or 0 food ;). City placement and careful resource management becomes crucial. You won't be growing those 30+ population cities on this map. Spice patches will give you lots of shields tough. Roads can't be build on sand, There is no water and Huge rock formations sepaarte dune sees so transportation is also a big challenge.

My suggestions for Civ 4: Try to make the computer adversaries less anal! They are all arrogant, needy, ridiculously greedy, short sighted, close minded, backstabbing little bullies ^_^

23. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

Stop talking about this game. I detoxed from it over a year ago and have been clean ever since. This the longest I have stayed clean and I hadn't thought about it in months. Now you all start jabbering about it and the cravings are back!

24. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

I really like Civ3, but miss the ocean and space settling of Civ Call To Power. If only they could bring all these things together in the next one.

25. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Heh heh - I know your pain. Of all of the games I have played, Civ is truly one of the most most addicting games I have ever seen. How many countless times did I utter the phrase, "Just one more turn..." to myself, only to look over the the clock and see that it was 5 AM and I had just civ'ed my entire evening (and early morning!) away... :cool: