Civilization 2 - Anyone Have a Copy?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ~Shard~, Oct 4, 2004.

1. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Civilization 2 is one of my all-time favorite games, and although I used to play it years ago on my PC, I now have a Mac, and have recently caught the bug to play this classic game again. I've played Civ 3 as well, also on the PC, but there were some aspects of it which I didn't like as much as Civ 2 and I found it a little more difficult in some respects - perhaps I didn't play it enough either, that's always a possibility... Feel free to share your opinions on the 2 titles...

Anyway, I believe that Civ 2 is discontinued now, so I was wondering if anyone had a copy or would know where I could find a copy for my Mac. Also, another important question would be will Civ 2 even run on Panther? ;)

And, if nothing else, if I can't obtain a copy of Civ 2, is there any place I could pick up a nice cheap copy of Civ 3 without having to shell out $50 for a brand new copy?

Any advice/suggestions/comments would be appreciated!

Shard

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I don't have a copy for you (want to hold onto mine ;) ) but just letting you know that it will run under Panther, but through Classic. It seems to run just fine for me, no real complaints, but you need to keep around a copy of Classic. Try Dealmac.com, they have links to places that sell old software from time to time.

3. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

I don't know if you have the chain "Half Price Books" up there, but I've seen Civ2 at several of their stores. Basically, they just sell used books and discontinued media (books, CD's and computer software.) I've picked up a number of old titles for the Mac that I enjoyed back in my mid-late 90's PC days.

4. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

Hey, Shard. If you're still looking for Civilization 2, I've got the Gold copy sitting around my mom's house somewhere because I wasn't playing it anymore when I moved away from home.

Send me a PM if you're interested, and we can dicker over terms. ;)

5. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

Maybe try Alpha Centauri

I was into Civ 2 in a big way. I still have my CD (you can't have it, precious) and the tech tree/unit poster is still up in my closet. I also considered Civ 3 to be a step down, missing some things I liked, but in my book Alpha Centauri was a big step up. Heck, I killed last weekend trying to beat it on transcend difficulty.

Anyway, if Civ 2 turns out to be flaky in Classic, you might give it a try. There are a number of advantages: it will be easier to find than Civ 2 but you can still find it pretty cheap. Also, there's a beta Carbon version that works well, only a couple sound bugs and sometimes crashing when you save (makes you rely on autosaves pretty much exclusively.)

6. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Oh yes...curse you...now I must waste a whole day playing Alpha Centauri. ;) And i love that Carbon patch. I have found it to be very stable (minus the save bug you mentioned). Now I will never get any work done.

7. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Sweet, thanks thatwendigo - I'll take a look around to see if I can find it anywhere else in the next couple of days, but if not I'll definitely get that copy off you. I'll PM you later in the week to further discuss matters. :cool:

8. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

I played Alpha Centauri on my old PC as well - I quite liked it as well, what with all the terraforming and environmental changes you could carry out, as well as customizing your own units. Civ 2 is still my favorite in the end though - it's just one of those classic games.... :cool:

Also, has anyone actually run Civ 2 in Classic mode? Does it work just fine? I've never even used Classic mode before in my life, since I have never had a need to, so what all does that entail?

9. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Isn't that the way it always is with these games - you plan on playing just for a bit, but then it's, "Just one more turn... one more turn...", and then you end up playing it all day. :)

10. Champale macrumors member

Classic

Civ 2 works fine for me in classic mode.

It's automatic. Just open the Civ 2 game icon (which for me is under the Applications (Mac OS 9) folder) and away you go.

I've been playing Civ 3 a lot lately. Frankly, I like it better than 2. But that's just me...

11. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I couldn't sleep one night so I fired it up about 11:30 pm or so and I ended up playing all night. I think I stopped around 6:30 am, maybe 7 am. Fortunately, it was a weekend so I didn't have to worry about work or anything.

12. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

I did almost the exact same thing once (well okay, more than once... ;) ) - I started playing around 10:00 or so at night, starting a new game, saying I would just build a few cities, get established in a new game and all that, and before I knew it, it was 5:30 AM and I had just built my first tank. ;) :cool:

13. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Good to know, thanks. :)

And as I said, I didn't play Civ 3 too much, so perhaps I simply didn't get into it enough to enjoy it better than Civ 2. I just found Civ 2 one of those games where you could really progress in the difficulty levels once you had played enough, learned all the tricks in timing, etc. However I felt that even on the Chieftan level in Civ 3, you were almost expected to know all of the "tricks" from Civ 2 already in order to do as well in Civ 3's Chieftan as you would on Civ 2's Chieftan. Again, just my experience - perhaps it was simply because I didn't play it a lot and wasn't used to the other additions to Civ 3 like needing resources like oil in order to built certain units, etc. I guess for me I was surprised when, after playing Civ 2 so much and handling myself very well on the higher difficulty levels, that I struggled with the Chieftan level in Civ 3 more than I thought I would. :eek: Maybe I just kept getting bad maps too... ;)

14. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

Actually, yeah. I've been replaying all of the Marathon games, since I still have the discs and there's been a huge fan community doing cool things with it. I downloaded Aleph One, M1A1, and all the sound and graphics enhancement packages, and I found out that one of the best games of all time plays just fine on my iBook.

Now I've got an additional layer of vintage goodness whenever I travel or end up waiting around somewhere, with my emulation of games from my childhood or the marathon series waiting for me.

15. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Gotta love nuking people into the Stone Age. Literally.

16. cazlar macrumors 6502

I've played all the Civs (and lost countless hours to them!) and I actually fired up CivIII for the first time in a few months a few days ago. I think I like CivIII better than II, or at least the idea of culture (I'm a bit of a culture whore - I tend to build everything I can in each city).

This last time I installed the "Double your pleasure" mod and let me tell you it completely changes the game. The tech tree is mindblowingly full and there are countless improvements/wonders/units. I spent half the game in the Civilopedia trying to work out what everything did, but it was worth it I think.

17. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Civ II runs fine on an iMac DV+ OS 10.1, tho that was a while ago... I've been playing Civ III lately, I do agree that it's superior in most ways-- they simplified a lot, and eliminated a lot of redundant tasks. They also did away with some features, which I'll admit I miss. And, III's interface is just poor-- I hope if there's a IV, they rework it. Like, didn't I used to be able to view all world Wonders, and the civ that owned them? Where the hell did that disappear to? *mutters*

I tend to get tired of a civ once the exploring is done... don't know why. but i'm not always about warring constantly, so eventually you run out of things to do, while waiting for science to catch up.

paul

18. cazlar macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure that's at F7? It shows currently built and also ones you know about still in production. Actually now you mention it, CivIII really needs a good list of all the keyboard commands - I found most of them out off the internet (like the difference between A, shift-A and shift-I for workers isn't explained at all in the game).

19. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

Wow, that sounds like it addresses at least one of the problems I had with Civ 3-the tech tree doesn't fork enough. That's actually one of the only things about CIv 3 that I didn't like that I can put my finger on/put into words. Another would probably be streamlining of diplomacy, vs SMAC at least. Other than that, all my gripes pretty much fall under the heading 'it's just not Civ2/SMAC.'

I did like the addition of culture and strategic resources and luxuries though. I'll have to give that mod a try when I have some time to waste.

20. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

The culture addition did add another element to the gameplay, for sure, but the strategic resources took a bit to get used to for me. I was all ready to start building beautiful weapons of destruction when I realized I needed oil and there was none to be found - how frustrating! ;) I think I probably just needed to play Civ 3 fora longer period of time to get into it more, then I probably would have liked it as much as Civ 2. There's just something about Civ 2 though that makes it hard to top, can't put my finger on it... :cool: