Civilization 3

Discussion in 'Games' started by JzzTrump22, May 12, 2004.

1. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Have any of you guys played this? This game is awsome.

2. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
  3. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

One of my favs. Have wasted many hours playing this thing :D

4. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i tried it and liked it but i'm stil lwaiting for a "civ3+ all addons" box released here for about 30 euro ...i just can't spend much moneyon games..
    untill then i keep playing civ2 multiplayer edition with lots of scenarios...every week i find a new interesting one... (and i can use play it windowed)

i hope civ3 gets cheap untill end of year absolute awaysome (only problami have with it is that it is rather slow in the beginning)

5. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

my problem is that the computer controlled players start 95% of the time right next to Luxuries. Where as I have to go wander for a few turns finding it.
    I'd also like it if you were given a few whitty remarks you can tell the computer players instead of the few they give you now (No a chance, prep for war, good bye, we accept) We should be able to select a few choice replies
    Veteran Spearmen should not be able to defeat a Elite Modern Armor. I've had this happen more a few times over the years.
    It sucks that whenever I play the "lesser" countries, you dont get to build your palace up, i've never gotten more than the floor and the 1 piece of the palace.
    I also hate it when they love to change how you set the people in city, they seem to change it so that it does maximum food production. Especially when your culture expands.
    You should be able to put Cruise Missiles on subs and aegis cruisers.
    If you spy on their cities, you'll notice that many times they have enough Unhappy people to cause a riot (if it was your city), but I have yet to see a computer city go into a riot.

6. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

krimson,
    i have played civ3 for some time at deity level and i can tell you that you just need to play it better if you never see computer cities revolting and pledging allegiance to you - simply put, you need to have greater culture than the computer player, and the masses will run to you.

there are plenty of different strategies, just find out what works for you...

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Civ3 is one of the few games that I puchase and actually go back to play once in a while.

8. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

I didn't say i never saw them turning and joining me, that happens all the time, i never see them riot that's all. pledging allegience and rioting aren't the same thing.

what im saying is that i'll see... lets say... 5 happy, 2 content and 5 unhappy, yet they aren't rioting, but if it was your city, the temple, the library, the marketplace and the coluseum would have been toast already... :)

9. alxths macrumors 6502

typically you won't see them rioting because you need to have a unit close enough to the city to actually see what's going on.. I've seen some enemy cities in disorder while attacking.

I love civ3, but there are a few things in it that i think need a little work.. some of which were apparently addressed with the 'conquerers' expansion, whch, as far as i know, won't be ported to mac:mad:. The allience/diplomacy structure comes to mind, mainly... Mutual protection pacts just turn the game into a huge mess later on in the game.. one guy decides to attack you, adn then you're forced to retaliate so all of their allies declare war on you.. and then youo're allies will have mutual protection pacts with some of your enemieis, yada yada yada.. it's just not pretty.

I also think the government and culture aspects need to be worked out a bit more... actually, i think the game could use a lot more depth on the whole. But when you consider that it's predicesor, alpha centurai, DID have more depth, maybe sid meier made civ3 the way it is intentionally, to create a certai nstyle of play........

ANYWAYS, I actually just got back into this game recently.. spent my entire afternoon playing it yesterday! I've had to disallow myself from playing it today so thta i can get some stuff done... but first thing tomorrow, the americans are toast, TOAST I TELL YOU!!

I'm playing on monarch right now and on my continent the order of power is as follows: 1. america, 2. me(persia) and 3. zululand. The u.s. just declared war on zuzuland which means that if i don't take advantage of that to weaken america, they'll be able to overpower me once they finish conquering the zulu :eek:

10. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

my enemies never seem to attack each other... i'll admit that im not that good, i've won a game on warlord once. actually, ill play a game and not play for a few months, then come back.

As for attacking cities and having them in disorder, that's usually caused by war weariness... if you have a city next to yours and have a mountain on the board, post an explorer or a scout there, and you can monitor the city..

but in my example from earlier, the city stats that would make your city go into disorder wouldn't work on the computer cities.. i use the spy function to look at cities while im preparing to attack. So i can see cities and their stats even if im not directly attacking... try it sometime you'll probably notice it too.

11. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

I've been playing for a few days. I'm starting to get the hang of it. The game totoally sucked me in. Whats the ultimate goal of the game? To take control of as much land/resources as possible?

12. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Total Conquest!@!@#!@#!*@^% muahahahhahahahahaaaaa

one tip that took me a while, just before you complete a new tech, lower the % to the lowest possible but will still finish in 1 turn, do that each time, and you'll have more money to use :D

13. Robertk2012 macrumors regular

14. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah get it off ebay, thats what i did. Really cheap!

15. Robertk2012 macrumors regular

Thanks

Ill have to try that.

If anyone wants to sell theirs let me know though

16. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

If you've never tried it yet, a lot of website offer a free trial version. Thats how i got hooked. I was so pissed when the trial version ended because they only give you an hour to try it. So one it ended i went on ebay and bought it right away.

17. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

OK, time to boot it up again. Once more unto the breach, dear friends.

18. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Im curious what settings everyone uses...
    I typically play with 2-5 NPC, and everything random.

19. alxths macrumors 6502

I leave pretty much everything at default... I used to play with the setting that arranged the world with more islands, but find that this can isolate you or other civs giving you no chance to stay caught up wiht technology.. Barbarians can be a pain so i turn them off sometimes. i always have the maximum amount of civs(5, i think) and have been playing on monarch lately. Most people say the game's impossible at anything above warlord, but it's really not that hard.. it's just a matter of keeping in touch with as many civs as possible and trading tech as much as possible.. and then when you do fall behind(i always do) just attack another civ and demand the tech from them after hlding a few of their cities..

20. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

i usually leave the barbarians to Raging, as they tend to camp around resources... it's kind of cheating, but it does tell me where I should build cities. :)

21. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Barbarians are a good and steady source of income for the first half of the game ^_^

25 balls a camp. It can stacks very quickly in the beginning. I'm not that good at Civ3 tough so I don't know if it's worth the risk at higher difficulty levels.

22. alxths macrumors 6502

Yeah they are great for income.. and they can help you to get elite level units early on...But I hate it when that "There has been a large barbarian uprising near wherever" thing happens, and you get like 8 horsemen attacking one of your cities..

23. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Yah, that can be a pain.

One thing I noticed and take advantage of is that barbarians will only spawn in shadowed parts of the map (outside your line of sight). You can prevent barbarian to appear altogether by posting sentinels in shadowed areas on the map. If you can't cover everything, a row of sentinels (preferably scouts) just outside your frontiers, preferably on mountains and hills, can make a pretty decent advance warning safeguard. And sometimes, your "sentry line" can take care of the incoming barbarians. you then send a fast moving unit to beat the crap out of the poorly defended barbarian camp where the invader spawned from to collect your due (25 shields)

My! That was a lot of useless rambling form my part but I just love the game. I think I've been playing Civilization games since the original 16 colors classic on the PC at least once a month all those years.

Anybody ever tried the Tabletop version? I've heard it's quite good and it can be fun to challenge flesh and bone friends.

[​IMG]

24. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

i loaded one of my old games i never finished, and my Horseman got attacked by 37 barbarian horseman.. LOL I survived 36.

Anyways, I put a guy near where they pop up after a few times. For the resources of course, not because im worried about them repop'n. :)