Civilization 4 game play

Discussion in 'Games' started by mikeyredk, Jun 30, 2006.

1. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

Just got my copy an hour ago and installed it. The first thing you notice is how polished everything is over Civ 3. The other thing is the choppy game play. Very disappointed in how slow the game movement is. anyone else have the game yet? I have a Rev b. iMac *G5* with 2 gigs of ram. Setting are native resolution with everything else at default.

2. therevolution macrumors 6502

You know, "Rev. B iMac" doesn't mean much. There have been lots of iMacs over the years... were it not for the 2 gigs of RAM, you could be talking about a bondi blue iMac. :p

What are the other specs? What if you try turning down some of the eye candy?

3. mikeyredk thread starter macrumors 65816

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'll be getting mine on the 5th - bleh - but I have a quad G5 with 8 gigs of RAM - so it will be fun to see how good/bad things work on my machine.

D

5. macidiot macrumors 6502a

Considering that Civ 4 is a 3d game, it really isn't too much of a surprise, though I'm sure it's disappointing for you. And it will probably get worse as you play the game. Civ is notorious for slowing down as the game progresses.

The G5 iMac has very modest graphics. If I remember right, a 128mb ati 9600? That card was only low-mid range when it was current, and it pretty weak by today's standards.

According to the game requirements, sounds like your iMac is just squeaking in at the minimums.

I'd try changing the various graphics settings to minimum, and possibly changing the resolution to a lower one. Experiment a bit to see what helps...

6. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

7. meghop macrumors member

I got this today, played for awhile on my Dual 1.8ghz G5 with 1.5gb RAM, 64MB video RAM, and an Nvidia GeForce 5200. It's choppy as all heck, and the music is the worst, it didn't play for the first ten minutes of the game at all, and often cuts out when the game bogs down and gets slow, which is very, very often. It's playable, and hasn't crashed, but obviously not what you would get with the "preferred" system requirements. I find it kind of crazy that it won't play well on my machine, it's not like it's that old, but whaddya gonna do...I guess I'll just deal with it...

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I would love to try this game out to see how it compares to the others in the series (and since I haven't played a Civ games in ages!) however I fear my 1.25 GHz G4 iMac might not cut it. :(

Ah well, there's always Civ II on my PC. It was the best game in the series anyway... :D :cool:

9. nordesmic macrumors member

I expect to get my copy tomorrow, and judging by that post I could be in for some trouble (that is exactly the same as my machine).

Any suggestions on upgrading the graphics card. If I upgraded the card to a 128/256 MB card do people think I would see a major improvement in gameplay. I'm fairly clueless when it comes to graphics cards. I was looking at a couple of sites, most notably this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190002738614&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

Is this a good deal for the performance increase i'm likely to see?

Thanks very much

10. Atlasland macrumors 6502

You have exactly the same machine as me.

That it ran so slow for you, really, really sucks.

11. mikeyredk thread starter macrumors 65816

Heck now i am using ATIccelerator to overclock my graphics card, its giving me a small boost its sort of playable now.

old setting: 325/200
    new setting: 400/300

BTW how does urs run?

12. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I think it is time to get a 6800 or an X850 in my Mac

13. The Senator macrumors regular

The Senator

whats a good place to buy mac games??? idk why want to i have windows on my mac but for some strange reason i want to try it out. I went to my walmart and target and they didnt have any macgames

14. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

According to some websites, Civ IV seems to run better on Intel Macs, even with similar graphics cards to compare with.

15. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I almost picked up a copy at the Apple Store Friday and was going to return my copy from Amazon (arriving tomorrow), but I realized that would be idiotic.

Once it arrives tomorrow, I'll try it on my MBP (2.0 GHz) and my 17" Intellimac and report back. I'd try it on the mini duo, but all reports I've read have indicated it'd be next to worthless on that. So... I'll verify iMac and MBP playability.

16. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

CompUSA, Apple stores, Amazon and other online retailers, Mac-oriented third-party stores and local mom n' pop retailers.

Edit: I looked at Best Buy's website, and they do seem to have a nice selection of Mac OS X software. I don't know if it's available in brick-and-mortar stores though.

17. The Senator macrumors regular

The Senator

thanks man,

I guess I'll have to buy my mac games online since theres nowhere here that sells mac software

18. ScarletRed macrumors regular

ScarletRed

Must be the awful coding

There's no reason why a turn-based strategic game shouldn't run smoothly on the system mentioned above. I suspect the source code isn't very well optimized.

19. unfaded macrumors 6502

This is not just a turn-based strategy game. The new system is a massive, massive graphical update, with huge 3d worlds that are really quite spectacular... if you have the hardware.

20. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

I play Civ IV on my Intel iMac Running Windows Vista Beta 2. My iMac is 2.0Ghz 1GB RAM and 128MB VRAM. Nothing is overclocked.

The game runs very smooth apart from long-ish loading times of saved games. Also, when you try to do other things in Windows, like play Solitare, then it slows down immensely. You quickly find out what not to do, to ensure smooth gameplay.

21. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

My game is currently in Pennsylvania.....and looks like it will arrive on the 5th....bleh - I was so hoping it would be here today. So unless someone else has a quad, I'll post the results on Wednesday.

D

22. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I'm very interested to hear first-hand how Civ IV runs on the Intel GMA 950 within Mac OS.

23. kaosfere macrumors member

^^^ What he said. I'm having a hard time not running out to buy it just to see how it runs on my BlackBook. Don't make me be the first!

24. fatties macrumors regular

i know! its like us macbook people are all playing chicken here... who is going to break first and get the game?

25. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

If I have time, I'll try it on my 1GB mini core duo. If it runs on that - and I'm skeptical - it'll run better on the MBs due to their faster CPUs.