Civilization 4 on intel imac?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ulmangt, Oct 27, 2006.

1. ulmangt macrumors newbie

I recently bought a 24inch Core 2 Duo iMac (2GB ram, 2.16Gz, NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT) and am interested in getting Civilization 4.

When I tried running the demo, however, the terrain appeared totally black. Does anyone with a similar computer know if this problem exists in the full version?

Aspyr's site http://www.aspyr.com/product/game_specs/5 lists the supported video cards (copied below) and the 7600 is not listed, but who knows...

Supported Video cards:
    NVIDIA GeForce 5200, 6600, 6800, 7800
    ATI Radeon 9600, 9650, 9700, 9800, X600, X800, X850, X1600

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yep, seems to be an issue with the demo.

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

the demo may not be updated to the latest version.

When i bought the game, before the first patch came out the terrain would turn spontaneously black, however this also was with the ATI 9650 in my powermac and now with the update and a NVIDIA 6800 Ultra the black terrain does not occur.

So I do not know which was causing it, the lack luster card or the lack of update

4. ulmangt thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info, that sounds promising.

However, if anyone out there has actually seen the game run with the NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT and/or on an intel 24" iMac I'd definitely appreciate hearing if you encountered problems.

5. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

I have a STOCK 24" (nvidia 7300) and Civ4 absolutely FLOATS w/ everything set on high and the resolution set to native (1900 x whatever). You will have absolutely no problems with this game. :)

6. ulmangt thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that does make me feel more confident about buying it -- but the fact that the demo had all sorts of graphical glitches on my machine makes me nervous :).

If anyone has played with a graphics card identical to mine (NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT) I'd definitely appreciate hearing from you!

7. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I have the 24" with the 7600GT and I have played Civ 4 on the machine. It ran OK and the problems that I did have had nothing to do with the graphics processing power of the machine. My problems are with Aspyr. I think they rush out bad ports of good games and charge twice what they are worth. I have not played a good Aspyr game but I have played many bad ones (SimCity 4 comes to mind).

Since the iMac runs Windows so well, I just avoided the Aspyr version and just bought the Windows version. Now, not only to I get a more stable, faster version of Civ 4 but I can also take advantage of the Warlords expansion. I do have the minor inconvenience of having to switch OS's to play but I recoup the minute and a half shutdown/boot time in the first 10 minutes of loading/playing the game.

By the way, this is my first foray into the Civiliaztion franchise and I have got to say that I am hooked. I noticed that the game has an alarm built in and at first I didn't know why. Now, after staying up the last week until 2 or 3 in the morning playing when I have to get up at 6 for work, I understand. Great game.

8. ulmangt thread starter macrumors newbie

Wanted to bump this again.

I've tried the demo version of the game on my 24inch core 2 duo imac NVIDIA 7600 GT and I get the black terrain bug.

However, I've heard many say that the demo is terrible and isn't a good indicator of how the retail version will run.

It would still be very nice to hear specifically from someone with a 24inch core 2 duo imac using the UPGRADED 7600 GT graphics card who has played the game successfully.

9. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

Did you read my last post?

10. Queso macrumors G4

Even the boxed retail version is full of glitches. However, the difference between it and the demo is that the retail version has a patch available. Although I don't have an Intel Mac, on my iMac G5 the graphics slowdowns were massively reduced and glitches such as you describe disappeared entirely.

11. ulmangt thread starter macrumors newbie

You said that you ran it under windows. I assume that a completely different set of video card drivers are used when running under windows, therefore it's quite possible the game could work fine while running under windows but not while running under OS X.

Or did have you ran the game both under Windows and OS X?

12. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I should have specified in the first sentence that it was the Mac version of Civ 4. But yes, I hav tried both. I was unsure of the quality of the Aspyr port so I "borrowed" a copy. I was very unhappy with the performance as I am with most Aspyr ports so I bought the Windows version instead. I DID NOT try it with the aforementioned patch, however. I am very happy with the Windows version, though. It is much faster and much more stable than the unpatched Mac version.