Civilization: Beyond Earth Coming to Mac This Fall

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 12, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

2K Games today announced that Civilization: Beyond Earth, the next entry in the popular Civilization strategy game franchise, is coming to the Mac alongside releases Windows and Linux this fall.

Set in a science-fiction-themed future, the game will allow players to select one of eight different expedition sponsors that are looking to colonize alien planets in order to establish a new civilization. Similar to previous titles in the series, gameplay will center around building large armies and structures as well as researching advanced technologies. Civilization: Beyond Earth also features an enhanced quest system, unit customization, and support for up to 8 players in multiplayer.
    The past two titles in the series, Civilization V and Civilization IV, were also released for Mac in 2010 and 2006, respectively. Those titles were developed with the help of Aspyr, which has published multiple major gaming titles for the Mac, including Bioshock Infinite, Borderlands 2, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and SimCity 4. Currently, it is unknown whether Aspyr will help develop Civilization: Beyond Earth for Mac or if the series’ original developer, Firaxis Games will work on the port.

- Civilization IV can be downloaded from the Mac App Store, Aspyr’s GameAgent digital store, and Steam for $19.99.
    - Civilization V can be downloaded from the Mac App Store, Aspyr’s GameAgent digital store, and Steam for $29.99.

Article Link: Civilization: Beyond Earth Coming to Mac This Fall

2. macrumors regular

all I have to say is.....

YAAAAAASSS

3. macrumors 6502a

Me wantee.

4. macrumors 603

I've been waiting for this for years. I've always loved Alpha Centauri more than Civ. This is essentially AC without the lore, as EA owns the rights to AC.

I hope Firaxis is doing the port themselves, as it would probably mean we'd get patches on all platforms released at the same time. Aspyr does a fine job, but I hate booting into Windows to play with PC friends when versions are out of sync.

5. casperes1996, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014

macrumors 6502

casperes1996

Nah...

I trust aspyr, but I don't know about firaxis' abilities when it comes to objective c and mad development. With a Linux version also being baked, I fear that it'll be some "general, run on all systems" code, not optimized for any platform, not using the features that are unique to the Mac.

Just hoping it won't be a ruse, like cd project red's the witcher, which actually runs trough wine.

6. macrumors 68000

Parasprite

Wait a second, alongside Linux???

That's a first...

7. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Nice trailer! This looks like a promising game of much fun and entertainment.

8. macrumors 6502a

Pakaku

Is there a list of games that do use Mac features? I mostly stick to Steam for my games...

9. macrumors 6502

casperes1996

Every single Feral game

Every single Feral interactive games uses Mac unique features, and a lot of Aspyr games do as well, including Civ5. The Mac App Store version uses in app purchases, and all versions use quicktime APIs for video playback and unique NS objective C calls, like calls to Grand Central Dispatch for better threading.

10. macrumors 603

I expect we'll be seeing this even more when SteamOS is officially launched.

11. macrumors 6502

Aspyr is still doing this one.. But looks like they're also branching out into Linux. Don't forget about us :p

12. macrumors 6502a

Day 1. I have been day 1 with all the past Civs and a space one is going to be sweet if done right. Can be touchy sometimes.

13. macrumors 68040

petvas

I have spent many hours playing Civilization since I can remember, and in different platforms. I love this game and am definitely buying it. Are there any screenshots we can have a look at?

14. macrumors 68030

Analog Kid

Oooohhh… Pleeeeeze don’t suck!

15. macrumors 65816

Gudi

I convene the Planetary Concil.
    Agenda:
    Elect Planetary Governor

[​IMG]

Vote for me or else!​

16. slime73, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014

macrumors newbie

slime73

There are a few screenshots of one of the Biomes here: http://www.civilization.com/#screenshots

And an interview with the game's lead designers here: http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/12/c...-the-new-factions-aliens-technology-and-more/

Some fun trivia, Will Miller (one of the lead designers) used to be a co-host for the old official InsideMacGames.com podcast, almost a decade ago. I'm willing to bet he's part of the reason they're releasing the Mac version at the same time as on Windows.

17. macrumors G3

Renzatic

We must dissent!

18. macrumors 68040

petvas

That looks dark and cool! :) Thanks for the links.

19. macrumors 6502

SingularityG

The leaked screenshots shows new and improved Sid Meyer's Alpha Centauri. Hopefully, it won't be too combat oriented.

20. macrumors 6502a

seveej

Fully agree!
    Alpha centauri had the advantage of not needing to consider "facts" (such as national sensibilities) and could thus focus on the gameplay.

RGDS,

21. macrumors newbie

At the foot of a mountain and beside a river
    There goes my life

22. macrumors member

Lets just hope they don't spend the next several years nickel and diming us with DLC that should have been in the game from the beginning. If they do, I'm going to have to wait at least five years, when the complete package goes on sale for $30, before I can play this. I'm only just now getting into Civ V.

23. macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    Please excuse me while I use my next turn to deploy planet busters to each capital city on Planet. :D

24. macrumors 68020

Kissaragi

Exciting, I cant wait!

25. macrumors newbie

Well, game like this is probably developed upon a common OpenGL foundation, and then tweaked a bit for every platform. That's not necessarily bad, but it might not offer all bells and whistles Mac as a platform can offer; still, it will be most probably much better than any s*itty Cider ports other companies charge an arm and a leg for.