Civilization IV for the Mac, Any Rumours?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Zaid, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Zaid macrumors 6502

Anyone heard anything about the mac version of Civilisation IV? The lag is normally 6 months or so, but I've not heard anything (official or otherwise) about a mac version.

If this doesn't materialise, i may be tempted into buying a PC :eek:

2. Xenious macrumors 6502a

Yep, I'm guessing to play it on the mac you will need a PC. ;) I bet it will be ported eventually, but that could be a short or long wait. I always say its a darn shame that more companies aren't like Blizzard with dual OS format releases in the same box on day 1 release.

3. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Call of Duty 2 and Civ IV are the two games I would most like to see ported.

Instead all we get are games so buggy they shouldn't be released (X2) and games so stupid you don't even bother to look at the back of the box (Stubs the Zombie).

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I agree, I would love to see Call of Duty 2 & Civ IV ported over to Mac- and ASAP! :)

5. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

Still, we have an awesome Alpha Centauri Mac port thanks to Brad Olivier!

Everyone, do the Drone dance!

:D

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I used to really enjoy that game for PeeCee.

Do you know anywhere I could scoop it up for Mac?

7. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well if there is no annoucnment for a further mac port down the road i'm going to buy it as soon as its released fo my PC
    i hope they include a tech tree poster

8. Zaid thread starter macrumors 6502

Just read something in another newsgroup about the fact the the 3D engine used my Civ IV has not been ported to the Mac. Apparently this is also the reason why Pirates of the Carribean has not been ported. Anyone know anything about this?

On an aside, anyone know of a good gaming PC that is reasonably priced. All i'm really looking to do is play Sim City and Civilisation 4 on it :) Or alternatively anyone know a good place to look?

9. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

I bought a used Mac copy (in french), and scooped-up the english version from...
    :rolleyes:
    ... ((bittorrent)) ...

(ashamed)

10. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Actually I was just reading this review of Civ IV,
    http://pc.ign.com/articles/614/614551p1.html

and I am very disappointed to note there seems to be very little conceptual innovation. Just a 3D engine added - big woop. Sometimes a 2D birds eye view is more practical for this sort of game. Very disappointing...

11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Meh, Civ II is still the best one. Can't be topped in my opinion, there's just something "perfect" about it... :cool:

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

actually i found the ideas about custom government types, scrapping of armies-time periods, culture system and introduction of religion pretty interesting i think this civ will be much closer to civ 2 than civ3

13. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Yeah.. but as Steve Jobs would say, none of those things make you sh*t yourself.

14. cubist macrumors 68020

Last time I played Alpha Centauri and Civ 2, they were a little 'creaky' in the classic environment. Classic's improved, so they may be OK now. And I agree with Shard: altho Civ3 had a lot of improvements, Civ2 was much more fun to play. It had the advisor videos and lots of other fun touches; it didn't take itself so seriously. Civ4 seems to be headed down the complexity route too; I don't know if I'll be getting it.

I suggest you consider Rise of Nations as an alternative. It has many Civ concepts in it, and a better economic/diplomatic model than previous RTSs.

There are two major factors working against any new games coming out on the Mac: (1) The Intel transition is causing a great deal of uncertainty. (2) Lots of gamers are moving to consoles and handhelds, so the market for PC and Mac games is shrinking seriously.

15. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

True, CIV II is indeed still the best.

You just can't top it. :)

16. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Absolutely. I won't pass judgment on Civ IV until I know more about it, or play it, but I think it will be hard-pressed to top Civ II. :cool:

17. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Absolutely. I am willing to give it a shot first.

I was rather disappointed when I got Civ III, looks like Civ IV will improve on it though (hopefully :) ).

18. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yes, hopefully. After I played Civ III a few times, I actually started playing Civ II again. :eek: I wasn't a fan of Call to Power either. :(

I did enjoy Alpha Centauri though - any chance of making a sequel for that one?

19. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Correct, Firaxis used the same engine that was used in Pirates! (not Pirates of the Carribean) to make Civ IV.

20. Xenious macrumors 6502a

21. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

It was a very god game - I rank it second only behind Civ II as far as these games go, simply due to its "purity" as an excekllent game. Civ II is definitely in the top 5 of my all-time favorite games list though. :cool:

22. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Another great game. But sadly, I do not have high hopes for a sequel of it. :(

23. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yep, me neither... :(

24. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

Rise of Nations > Civ II > Civ III

in my opinion, but I'm rather a fan of real-time strategy games a la Starcraft/Warcraft. Screen shots of Civ IV looks kinda hokey. Are there any good real-time strategy-games on the PC you PC gamers can recommend? I just got a PC for work.

25. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Ah Starcraft, don't get me started... ;) One of my all-time favorite games along with Civ II actually. I cannot wait until SC2 comes out, but I fear it may be at least another year or two... :(