Civilization IV on MacBook (Bootcamp)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by manic, Jun 5, 2006.

1. manic macrumors regular

May 29, 2006
    In the interest of many, can/ has a macbook owning bootcamper tried out the civ IV (either Full or Demo) on the macbook? Although macbook falls outside the minimum required specs (no discrete video), there is a chance it would run under lowest graphics settings on a 2GB macbook.

Can someone please step forward and tell us if the game will boot? Native 1280 would be bliss, though I guess we would be happy to know it just runs.
  2. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

Jun 29, 2004
    I have not, but I would like to ask any posters if they know when Civ IV is slated to be launched for Mac. I heard it was June 1st... Maybe middle of the month?
  3. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Jan 25, 2004
    Mountain View, CA USA
    According to, it's 30 June.
  4. manic thread starter macrumors regular

May 29, 2006
    After checking PC forums, Ive found posters claiming Civ IV runs a little choppy on integrated graphics, though still quite playable.

"Got my PC with Intel 845 G/GL 64 MB integrated video running Civ4 (patch 1.52). Runs a little bumpy somtimes, but otherwise completely playable.

esolution: 1024 x 768
    Graphics quality: low
    Render Quality: low
    globe quality: low
    X single unit graphics
    X frozen animations
    X effects disabled
    X low resolution textures"

He was not the only one, although they are far and between. I guess everybody has discrete graphics these days (wink, wink, apple). There is hope after all.
  5. manic thread starter macrumors regular

May 29, 2006
    Anopther relevant testimony at arstechnica forum
    "I play Civ4 on my MacMini Dual 1.66 under WindowsXP and the game is very well playable and enjoyable. Let's hope that those requirements are for the game at full settings (which I don't play, cause I don't like all the useless 3D stuff in there)"