Civilization IV patch is here!!!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Atlasland, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Atlasland macrumors 6502

http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ID=13738

It's a Beta. Supposed to make the game much better. I'm downloading it now.

Enjoy!

(Apologies if this is a repost - couldn't find it anywhere)

EDIT: It has actually been mentionned somewhere else, but I still think it deserves it's own thread

2. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

The patch helps, the sound problems are lessened if not abated and the pre-turn delays aren't quite as bad. But I think Apple's going to have to fix some problems in 10.4.7 before everything's back to normal, at least that's what the Civ IV developers say.

3. 17luv macrumors member

Thanks for the info, that game is definitely on my 2buy list :) Good to see it is still being updated and supported, hopefully by the time I get it all the kinks will be ironed out!

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

does this patch help with the speed/responsiveness of game play? I ask because I'd love to play it, but I'm on a macbook, and from what I've heard, it would be agonizingly slow. But if this patch speeds things up then I'd reconsider...

5. atmenterprises macrumors regular

I downloaded the patch over the weekend and i did notice a speed improvement.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

a substantial improvement? Like they really really fixed it up? Or one of those "oh yeah, safari feels a little snappier" improvements? ;)

7. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

It's not fixed ... it will take Apple fixing the problems with 10.4.7 for the game to truly run properly. But it is a little better. It is now playable on my iMac G5 2.1 ghz, which hits all of the recommended specs.

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

hmm. Has anyone tried it on 10.4.6? is there a big difference?

I'd love to play this game, but not if it's going to take 5+ minutes per turn.

9. alec macrumors regular

the game plays a lot better. im running on a macbook 2 ghz with 2 gb of ram, and the game is very snappy. not perfect, but getting much better!

10. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

"It is now just about playable on a 1.42 G4 Mac Mini with 1 GByte of memory" kind of improvment. Even though the game pops up a warning that it will not run - it does (if you crank all the settings down it is not too bad on the medium sized game I played through).

Think there is still room for more optimization.

11. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

that's extremely impressive, given that when it first came out we were seeing comments that it choked dual G5s and intels... I may have to check it out soon.

wonderful, just what I wanted to hear! Thanks! :)

12. Atlasland thread starter macrumors 6502

It is very playable, though not perfect.

Scroll speed is a little too jerky for my liking. However, seeing as how my machine is at the bottom of the recommended spec, I can hardly complain.

There are also a few other minor-ish issues not yet fixed - such as faulty globe view, some sounds not playing correctly etc.

And I've only played 50 or so turns. By 1500 AD I don't know what the performance would be like.

A fuller patch is due soon (i.e. the above patch is a beta - full patch should be official soon).

13. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

14. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

Yeah, I read on another forum about the beta patch coming out, and the speed improvements people reported, which finally pushed me over the edge. I ordered a copy from Amazon for delivery on Wednesday. :)

15. Greebazoid macrumors regular

intel graphics?

I'm intruiged - the aspyr website mentions nothing about the intel chipset being supported, yet quite a few posts here are from people running macbooks, which have that very chipset.

I tried to run command and conquer on my core duo mini and it was completely unplayable. I suspect thats largely due to it being a non universal binary, but how much of that dreadful performance is intel graphics related?

16. Atlasland thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I've just played a game nearly to completion.

Small map, 4 other civs, normal speed. This is with the beta patch. This is on the iMac in my signature.

Initially it was pretty decent and playable...
    • but when I reached around 1200 AD, then things began to get slower, though still reasonably playable.
    • by 1750 AD it was pretty slow, and not particularly enjoyable.
    • by 1900 AD it was bad, and I only played on to finish the game.
    • in 1965 AD I stopped playing because I couldn't take it anymore.

However I should say that the slow speed experienced during the 1900s is still probably faster than the 4000 BC speed pre-patch.