Civilization IV requirements

Discussion in 'Games' started by anrake, Feb 11, 2007.

1. anrake macrumors newbie

May 1, 2006
    I really enjoyed Civ II when I played it eons ago, and now wanted to try Civ IV, but my iBook (1.42 Ghz, 512 RAM) is not up to spec for this game (1.8 ghz). Does anyone know how poor the performance would really be on my iBook? If I max out the RAM would make up for the speed difference?
  2. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Dec 9, 2004
    The performance would be lousy. Even my dual 2.5GHz G5 + X800 doesn't do so great later on in the game, so an underspecced iBook is hopeless. Civ III would work fine though.

3. anrake thread starter macrumors newbie

May 1, 2006
    Thanks, I guess I'll try Civ III for now and wait for my next computer upgrade for IV.
  4. colocolo macrumors 6502

Jan 17, 2002
    Santiago, Chile
    I second Eric.

I got a hold of a friend's copy to find out if it would be playable on my ibook 1.33, and it was completely and utterly unplayable. And I'm not picky; I'm content playing WoW in it :)
  5. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

Jan 16, 2007
    So the base MBP would not run CIV IV well, even though it is above the req?
  6. colocolo macrumors 6502

Jan 17, 2002
    Santiago, Chile
    I have never tried it, but I would assume any MacBook Pro would run Civ IV just fine. Certainly worth a shot.
  7. MikeyTree macrumors 6502

Jan 5, 2007
    What causes the slowdown? Is it heavily 3d Graphics intensive, or is it simple processing power? Would a CTD 2.0 macbook be able to run it?
  8. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Jul 26, 2005
    On my eMac 1.42/Radeon 9600 64 MB/1 Gig RAM, performance is almost unplayably bad - from very early turns. Aspyr has a demo so you can try before you buy.

Civ III indeed should work great on your setup. I also needed a Civ II update and found III to offer plenty of "oh-crap-it's-been-8-hours-already" gameplay. By the by, Civ II itself is one of the few games to run well under Classic on OS X.

Mainly graphics-intensive, and I'm sure there are threads here dedicated to performance on Intel integrated graphics like the Macbooks - performance is not great. Part may also be Aspyr's resource-hungry port of the game.
  9. Magnus Reftel macrumors member

May 16, 2006
    It is heavily 3D intensive. No, the macbook is not likely to be able to run it. A Macbook Pro will, though.
    See the system requirements for details, or download the demo and try it out for yourself =)
  10. topgunn macrumors 65816

Nov 5, 2004
    In my opinion, Aspyr does a poor job of porting PC games for the Mac. Civ IV is no exception. Having said that, even the PC version slows down in the late game on large maps. There are simply so many calculations to be done between rounds that it just takes a long time. So, on a middle-aged iBook, it would be agony waiting minutes between rounds. But, if you are a warmonger and you typically win games by 800AD then maybe it will work for you.