Civilization IV

Discussion in 'Games' started by dotdotdot, Nov 28, 2005.

1. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Does anyone here have any experience with Civilization IV?

Before Edit:I liked CivIII a lot, because of the times I'd say, ok, I'll play for 20 minutes, and it ended up being over two hours, meaning the game was fun, good, and addicting. So I ordered Civ IV and installed, and so far I have not been impressed.

Sure, I played for ten minutes, and only in Duel mode, but the overall gameplay seems to have changed.

Also, the controls are much different.

I definitely need to read the manual on this one, because so far I'm so lost in it its not even funny.

Edit: I began a regular game at 9:45. I finished the game at 11:00. I can officially say this game is good!

The graphics are great, but take some time to get used to after the CivIII and below games, because at first glance, theres too much going on, with everything and everyone being 3D.

Some features are missing, but some are added, and the added features help a lot. When I played, on the easiest setting only once, by the way, there were "reccomendations" of what to make and everything, and for the first time ever, I finished the game fully, after being in wars and although I began with three powerful cities and ended with one, I still was able to beat the game.

I give this game a 4/5.

2. Uma888 macrumors 6502

i agree with 4/5

this game is waaay tooo addictive

i spent 5 hours playing this game on the space race victory setting:eek:

^^ then i lost:(

3. CSUNdude macrumors newbie

Is it out on the Mac? Where?

You guys are talking about Civ IV on the P.C, right? I was told its not out for the mac yet.

In any case, as a mac only gammer, do you think its worth waiting for Civ IV on the mac, or to get Civ 3 complete? Is the gameplay much better, or is it really just a graphics update?

Thanks!

4. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020

I personally like Civ IV better but Civ III is great too...

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I just got it on Saturday, and it ROCKS! I loved Civ II, thought Civ III a bit weak, and Civ IV is just plain awesome. The game play is so addictive, hours pass like minutes. :) Since the Mac version is yet to be released, I have to play it on my parents PeeCee that I built for them (3.2GHz P4, 1GB DDR400, 128MB GeForce 6600 GT). Highly recommended! :)

6. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

nothing will ever defeat Civ II and Colonization as the best games EVER. I still play both on VPC all the time, barely tasks my G5 :cool:

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Completely agree - Civ II is the best Civ game IMO and one of my all-time favorite games in general. Civ III was a disappointment for me compared to Civ II, but I am willing to give CiV IV a chance, as I have heard it is better.

But hey, to each their own!

8. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

agreed again. Civ III just wasn't what I was looking for, I had high expectations and wasn't impressed, went back to Civ II. I'll have to try IV before I pass judgement on it, but it sounds well received around here

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yes, from what I've heard, there have been some improvements made over Civ III, some of the aspects I didn't care for, so I'm definitely willing to give it a chance. But I did the same thing as you - played through Civ III, was disappointed, and promptly went back to Civ II. ;) :cool:

10. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020

Maybe it's because I've never played Civ II and began with Civ III, but I loved CivIII, so can anyone please explain why they didn't like it?

11. CSUNdude macrumors newbie

When you play Civ II on your G5, are you playing in OSX Tiger? Or is that what that VPC is for? (whatever that is :D)

12. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

no, you play it in classic. YOu could play it in virtual pc if you wanted to though.

civ III is a much more well balanced game than II was - that is the strategies for winning weren't so clear cut and there were less little cheats. It is also less addictive and has a steeper learning curve.

I personally enjoyed Civ3 much more than 2 but I gave up then came back to 3 at least five or six times before i really was able to enjoy it.

I heard on another thread somewhere that civ IV is coming in january for mac. I bought it for PC but my PC wasn't up to snuff for the graphics so I just sold it because I didn't feel like investing in and putting a new card into my vaio just to have the game run annoyingly slow.

13. CSUNdude macrumors newbie

Wow, Civ 4 in Jan? Can that be right? Companies dont usually release new products right after christmas.

In any case, I think I'll wait until Civ 4 is out before deciding. Looks like many people were not happy with 3. How about the expansion packs? Did you like them?

14. benpatient macrumors 68000

i'd be surprised it if made to for a January Mac release...but yeah, the game itself, for PC, was released to be a good holiday-time game...unfortunately that means the Mac version will be spring at best, usually.

15. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

if I had the mac version I could play in classic, but I have the PC version from back when my brother bought the game and I stole the CD from him, so yes I play it using Virtual PC. seems to work just fine :)