CL2 vs CL3 RAM??

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by bluetrepidation, Mar 12, 2004.

1. bluetrepidation macrumors member

I want to get some more PC133 RAM for my 466 Digital Audio G4. Now I could get CL3 cheep or get CL2. My question is does the computer take advantage of the shorter clock cycle to access data? Or doesn't it matter? Got any links of test results for such a comparison?

A.J.

2. briankonar macrumors regular

i doubt the ram's latency will noticably affect your computer use. you should attempt to match it with the latency of any ram you currently have installed for the sake of consistency (i believ apple uses CL2), otherwise the difference will be negligible IMO.

3. bluetrepidation thread starter macrumors member

Seems like everything in it now is CL3. I know my iMac has a mix of CL2 and CL3. This woks because the RAM slots doesn’t require "pairs" to be installed. I think I have a stick of CL2. Maybe I'll run some x bench tests on that stick and post the results just to entertain the curious.

A.J.

4. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

Apple's computer pretty much have the memory timings built into them. You can get low latency ram, but it will not run at those timings.

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I've done a bit of research on CAS latencies, and based on your setup, I don't think it will make much difference at all- I wouldn't worry about it either way. Plus, as the previous poster said, Apple essentially controls memory timings in their machines, so I don't think it should make a difference either way.