Claimed Front Panel of White Next-Generation iPhone Surfaces

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 16, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple.pro points [Google translation] to a photo posted to a Photobucket account that appears to show a white version of the next-generation "iPhone 5" front panel. This appears to be the first time that a claimed photo of the white version of the device has been seen.

[​IMG]

Front (top) and back (bottom) of claimed front panel from white next-generation iPhone
    As with previously-leaked photo and video of the black version, the new photo seems to show the front-facing FaceTime camera centered on the device, located above the earpiece rather than to the left of it as seen on current iPhone models. The small black window to the left of the earpiece on the white panel is likely to be the proximity sensor, which is visible above the earpiece on current white models.

The panel also shows a display with an aspect ratio of close to 16:9, in line with rumors of a taller screen measuring four inches diagonally. Overall, the front panel appears to match up closely to a previously-leaked design drawing showing details of the front panel.

Notably, the Photobucket account hosting the new photo is the same one that previously posted leaked measurement comparisons between the rear shells of the third-generation iPad and the iPad 2, showing roughly how much thicker the new iPad would be over the previous model.

Article Link: Claimed Front Panel of White Next-Generation iPhone Surfaces

2. macrumors regular

caligomez

Nothing really new here..

Although looking forward to it! :)

3. macrumors 68020

applesith

Tim says Apple is doubling down on secrecy for new devices. This is all fake leaks to throw us off, or Tim was too confident.

4. macrumors 6502a

At this point I just want the longphone to be the next iPhone. Although I was skeptical at first, the design has grown on me with every subsequent leak.

5. macrumors 6502a

garylapointe

It'd be great if notations like this said "correctly" leaked measurements to give us a better feel of the reliability of the information. I believe in this case it was correct and truly leaked, but just remind us of that.

Thank you.
    Gary

6. macrumors member

When I first saw this post I thought it might refer to a new MS challenging name 'iphone-surfaces'

7. macrumors regular

why is the home button, and the sides, larger on the black version?

8. macrumors regular

9. macrumors 6502a

Looks like a bigger home button. guess someone sneaked it out of foxconn.

producing 100k units a day from now until oct should mean close to 10MM units on launch day?? But no one knows how many countries will be included in the initial launch

10. macrumors 68030

Blows me away why people still buy these things. It literally looks like the very first iPhone from the front. Sure the backing sides etc have changed but lets be honestly.. Apple has completely run out of ideas.

- A slightly larger screen that is years behind the competition.
    - Basically the same UI it has had for 5 years. Sure some additions to it, but it looks the same and you still cant customize it without jailbreaking.
    - Last company to the market with LTE - argument here is battery life. I get great battery out of my Nexus with LTE on. Copout.

Its just the same phone, a little bigger.

11. macrumors 6502

dokujaryu

We won't really know if its correct until the product is announced, right?

12. macrumors regular

Also the front camera has moved to the middle now? I'd prefer that - the symmetry is nice.

Edit - Or is that the proximity sensor in the middle? Just noticed the smaller hole just to the side of the earpiece of the black front face.

13. justperry, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

macrumors 603

justperry

You just beat me to it.
    First thing I noticed, this must be fake then.

EDit: I realized this before others reminded me.
    I realize now that the white one is the front while the black is the inside, you can also see a bit of white line surrounding the black hole so from the front it may look different.
    Also, The screen on the white one "seems" quite a bit smaller, 3.5 "

14. macrumors 65816

100k units a day. That's a little ambitious.

15. macrumors 6502a

garylapointe

I'm okay with whatever Apple does (usually). I'm just not due for an upgrade this year so I don't need it to have any new features that's really going to make me want this :)

A new shape / size screen I can wait for....

If they make the back of the phone with an eInk display so that I can see info (and read books) in the bright sunlight, that's when I'll be super excited.

Gary

16. macrumors regular

17. macrumors 68030

Polish version without a home button.

Just a hole to holed it.

18. macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

This design is a flop IMO, the screen needed to be wider to keep up with the current market and it seems Apple has failed to do that. I think that decision it will come back to bite them.

19. macrumors 6502a

agree, but I thought it was 60-80k per day for iphone 4, thought it would be even better now.

20. macrumors member

Before everyone starts bickering about the XL home button slot, take a closer look and notice that the black "front panel" is actually the back of a white/black panel.

The home button slot isn't bigger, you can actually see a faint rim around the slot on the backside of the plate, probably used to hold the home button in place.

Again, the bottom plate is the back of a white/black plate.

21. macrumors 6502a

Could he have meant the new, new devices, ie the TV or some other product we haven't even dreamt of yet? Think it's very difficult when thousands of people need to produce this for months before launch day.

22. macrumors 6502a

That's not the black version. It's the backside of the white one.

23. macrumors 65816

Both images are of the white front. The black is the back face of the front, but doesn't go all the way to the edges. I assume the black is there to stop light showing through the white paint.

24. macrumors regular

Might just be a different camera angle. I dunno for sure though.

25. macrumors 6502a

It's one panel, the black one is just the white one upside down. You can see there is a white outline around the black home button which is why it appears a different size when upside down.