Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I hope theres two of them because i surely won't buy a new phone if it doesn't finally finally support 2 sim cards. is it really hard to do this? geez....

Because two sims are tacky, and there is no need for it in the leading market (US). I know in Europe and other sides of the world people tend to get two phone numbers as calling the competing cell network is usually very expensive, so people opt for two phones or two simed phones to put cards from two networks.

Apple can barely fit one sim let alone two in the phone.

bdavis89

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
Stupid

Someone tell me why this isn't for the 4S? There is absolutely nothing indicating that this isn't a current production part. I think I'll buy an extra iPhone 4 screen, take a picture, and claim that its for the next iPhone and that the screen size will be the same! People will go crazy! :rolleyes:

Also, the next iPhone will be the 6th one, so there will never be an "iPhone 5." Chances are the next iPhone will be "iPhone 4G" or "iPhone 4GS" or even just the new iPhone. Keep it simple stupid.

That being said, I'm up for an upgrade in October from my DroidX, and screen size is a dealbreaker for me. The 4.3 on the DroidX is a little too big, but 3.5 is too small. I truly believe 4 inches is the sweet spot. (thats what she said)

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Well, the Mac Pro hasn't been redesigned in years it wouldn't be surprising if the phone stays the same. Although I would be disappointed and wouldn't buy.

Apples and Oranges, the competition is not cranking out desktop re-designs at a furious pace like the mobile device market. Every time you turn around Samsung has a new phone with a new form factor and a bigger screen.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
I can easily see Apple recycling the same 2 year old design and calling it the iPhone 4GS, 4G data and Speed with the new A5X processor. They will continue to sell it and rack up the profits.

As for Apple being in it for the profits, of course they are and if you thought otherwise you are sorely mistaken.

Well of course they are in it for the profit. But it's not like they are Thrashing all the money out.

And they make money because they design things that people want. And they design is simple and elegant. And the most important thing is the UI... everyone can use IOS. Android is a mess of inconstancy and incompatibility - windows phone is a great UI but largely overlooked ( well in the UK )

You only have to look at the way the competition do it. Lets make 100 different variations with slightly different specs and confuse the hell out of non-power users. OR I can just buy an iphone - Same with the computers - 1000's of dells or 3 diff models of Mac

It's getting crazy in the phone market - Nokia used to have about 6 phones per year now about 60! No wonder it's hard to make a profit with all that tooling.

Apple keep the design because it is good and works. That said we all look forward to a new design. Mainly as Tech gets better an they can make it thinner - poss with a bigger screen and other tech.

I reckon the big one will be NFC payments via apple for anything - probably with some sort of Connection with Visa. None of the current NFC systems have really taken off and I can see this being massive. Apple of course taking a cut along with visa.

As for other new innovations what can you add to a phone? Projector?

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
No other company

could create such a hype about upcoming products ;)

Don't get me wrong, but a leaked Home-Button and now a SIM card tray???
Somebody at Apple must be laughing like crazy.

"Look, someone wrote about out 0,0025 cent SIM card tray !!!"

(That's probably what it's worth....)

tfitzsimons

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2008
i think it will mimic the macbook air. sharp edges, tapered design. they are not mutually exclusive.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
The metal frame of the 4S with the improved antennas was leaked before the Verizon iPhone 4 was released. Back then it was thought it was an early design, but later one it was proved to be from the iPhone 4S. That was in January or February if I recall correctly.

I'm a little confused by your post. The 4S antenna is identical to the Verizon 4's chassis albeit a sim slot. I wouldn't exactly deem a sim cutout being a leak of a design when apple was playing it the idea of making the Verizon iPhone 4 a world phone all along

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
People sure like to jump to conclussions...first even if this IS a part for the next iPhone, why does it mean the phone wont be a redesign? are sim cards and try suppose to be a different shape and size just because the phone looks different?

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Im going to be p/o if the iPhone 5 is not a completely different design

What's wrong with the current design? I think it's perfect the way it is.
Design change for the sake of design change is a waste of money.

----------

Well, the Mac Pro hasn't been redesigned in years it wouldn't be surprising if the phone stays the same. Although I would be disappointed and wouldn't buy.

Really? You wouldn't buy a new and improved iPhone simply because it looks the same? I guess that's your choice to make. Personally, I buy for features, benefits, and value, not 'new looks'.

----------

It's amusing that people still refer to the next-generation iPhone as the "iPhone 5" when it is pretty damned certain that it will never be called that nor is it the fifth-generation device.

Could you immagine the Ford Motor company coming out with a car called "Model-T 106"? At some time you just have to drop the generation numbers, or start looking stupid.

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
we are in the minority

I dont get peoples lust for thinner/smaller/lighter/different with every updated iphone.

Has your hand spontaneously changed its shape in the last year? Has the physiology between your ear and your mouth somehow altered?

Ergonomics are the limiting factor, people.

The iPhone 4 is the perfect balance of size to hold, carry, read and watch.

Give me more power and functionality over a redesign anyday.

If I could thumbs up this multiple times I would.

Dades

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
To those offering *rolleyes* to people calling it the iPhone 5... it's just a frickin' reference to whatever the next iPhone is called.

People using the term iPhone 5 aren't all assuming that's what it's going to be called. They - like you - just have to call it something.

(I would have been inclined towards the "new iPhone" - but where would that leave them in 12 months? The "new iPhoneS"?)

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
To those offering *rolleyes* to people calling it the iPhone 5... it's just a frickin' reference to whatever the next iPhone is called.

People using the term iPhone 5 aren't all assuming that's what it's going to be called. They - like you - just have to call it something.

(I would have been inclined towards the "new iPhone" - but where would that leave them in 12 months? The "new iPhoneS"?)

I wonder when people will quit thinking the word "new" in "new iPad" or later this year "new iPhone" is not actually part of the name. It just distinguishes it from older iPads/iPhones. This year the iPhone will be just "iPhone" but will be marketed as "the new iPhone." then the 2013 iPhone will be the "new" iPhone...etc. but the actual name of each product will just be iPhone.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Someone tell me why this isn't for the 4S? There is absolutely nothing indicating that this isn't a current production part. I think I'll buy an extra iPhone 4 screen, take a picture, and claim that its for the next iPhone and that the screen size will be the same! People will go crazy! :rolleyes:

Also, the next iPhone will be the 6th one, so there will never be an "iPhone 5." Chances are the next iPhone will be "iPhone 4G" or "iPhone 4GS" or even just the new iPhone. Keep it simple stupid.

That being said, I'm up for an upgrade in October from my DroidX, and screen size is a dealbreaker for me. The 4.3 on the DroidX is a little too big, but 3.5 is too small. I truly believe 4 inches is the sweet spot. (thats what she said)

I have a 4S and can confirm that the sim card tray is different in the areas arrowed on the first post in this thread. I will not post a picture up as it has my IMEI and serial number on the sim tray

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin

How about the 'Newest New iPhone'? The following year it could be called the 'Very Newest New iPhone', and so on. :D

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
I have a 4S and can confirm that the sim card tray is different in the areas arrowed on the first post in this thread. I will not post a picture up as it has my IMEI and serial number on the sim tray

How about...

Attachments

• blur.png
    blur.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 368

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
Could you immagine the Ford Motor company coming out with a car called "Model-T 106"? At some time you just have to drop the generation numbers, or start looking stupid.

Google Chrome seems to be doing okay despite slowly reaching stupidly high version numbers. I'm disappointed Mozilla followed suit with Firefox. At their rates, they'll hit Chrome 106 in no time!

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Im going to be p/o if the iPhone 5 is not a completely different design

Man, Apple just can't stop counting that cash from NOT re-tooling, can they?

----------

I dont get peoples lust for thinner/smaller/lighter/different with every updated iphone.

Has your hand spontaneously changed its shape in the last year? Has the physiology between your ear and your mouth somehow altered?

Ergonomics are the limiting factor, people.

The iPhone 4 is the perfect balance of size to hold, carry, read and watch.

Give me more power and functionality over a redesign anyday.

What don't you get? A larger percentage of people enjoy new clothes, new cologne, new shoes, new decorations for their homes/apartments-even though the ones the currently have work fine. This percentage is much higher in the tech world. People want something with newer updated look. Can't blame people for wanting the iPhone to look different after having used it non-stop for over two years.

lifeguard90

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Chicago
who gives a ***** about s sim card holder, guarantee this week will also be a dead week for mac news. getting really annoying

iMaci7

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2011
For all we know, they are going to call it "The new iPhone"

Im hoping for a design change as well, even thought i love the look of the 4.

Slayter

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2009
The Czech Republic
Sorry but.. If Apple wont show us a new complete redesign of an iphone I'm going to buy my next phone somewhere else, most likely some WP phone. If in 3 consecutive years Apple deliver still the same ( for me not that great ) design, I will see it as arrogance. Arrogance to customer. And please dont compare it to Mac, thats a different class. Cellphone needs to evolve each incarnation. Because iP4/4s is far from perfect. ( for example: ergonomicaly wrong- sharp edges, glass is fragile,slippery, and you get fingerprints all over the phone etc etc...)

I will not buy a basically almost identical phone over and over. And as I see I'm not only one. Last year my friends switched after 4S fiasco to SGs2.
They had enough of Apple ignorance already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.