Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Glad that they're keeping "Space Gray" despite the ridiculous name. My Retina iPad Mini is Space Gray and I love it, but since I carry it everywhere and it doesn't quite fit in my pockets I have it in a red leather Smart Case. My iPhone 5 is black and I'd much rather have the gray as people have said it shows less scratches, which is why my black iPhone 5 is in a case. I've kept every iPhone in a case except the original. I think part of the reason is I dented the corner of the original (which I still have) which gave me iPhone drop PTSD because that thing was $600 and magical back then. The other part is that I would resale every year so it needed to be in good shape. Now that I'm on a two year cycle I don't mind scratches as much, so I might go naked with the iPhone 6. That and the iPhone 6 won't have the chamfered edge, which also scratches easier, and the new glass is supposed to be better too.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Love my gold 5S. So classy.

ImageImage

It's interesting when you see the "ample evidence" of people trashing the gold iPhone when it was announced just to drool all over the new - almost surprising - trend to offer gold as a standard colour on most current and announced flagship models...

UK-MacAddict

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2010
Currently have the gold iPhone 5S and slate iPad Air but this year I'm going back to the white and silver combo on both devices :D It really is the best combo and very classic Apple colouring :apple:

Still undecided on the screen size though. I'm going to buy both the 4.7 and 5.5 versions and then send one back once I've held both.

imtom

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2014
Space grey is far too light in my opinion, it's only a few shades off silver and seems pointless considering we already have a phone with silver housing! I think darkening the grey slightly more would be better from a design aesthetic point of view but not as dark as the black housing on the 5. A happy medium between the two. But I do think the space grey on the iPad Air looks a lot better, it's not as garish as the iPhone.

Last edited:

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
If silver/white is more silver than white, I'm finally going grey on purpose for the first time. (Went black on the 4 because the white took so long to release)

----------

It's interesting when you see the "ample evidence" of people trashing the gold iPhone when it was announced just to drool all over the new - almost surprising - trend to offer gold as a standard colour on most current and announced flagship models...

To be fair, when we trashed it, we expected GOLD. We got a champagne type of color. Still not a huge fan, but it's a million times better than gold.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I wasn't really expecting any different colors. For one, the scratch resistance on these is far superior than their predecessor, the 5. I imagine we will see the same (maybe better) with the new phone.

Hopefully they actually have a decent supply of gold phones at launch.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
I think they will take the internals of the 5s and put it into a "new" phone called the iPhone color (same colors and form factor) and charge 99 for it. This way there will still be a 4inch option that is "new".

ratigator

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
Michigan, USA
I went to white/silver a few devices ago and I haven't looked back. For some reason, black just looks dated to me. Personal preference, I guess.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Although I think Bono's recent comments regarding Apple's approach to branding for his Red project were childish and smacked of ingratitude (regardless if how his handlers walked back the statements), I would like to see a Red iphone 6.

Zinthar

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
I think they will take the internals of the 5s and put it into a "new" phone called the iPhone color (same colors and form factor) and charge 99 for it. This way there will still be a 4inch option that is "new".

They might be able to just do another internal upgrade to the 5S (i.e. update to A8, faster RAM, new modem, etc.) and keep it on as the 4.0" iPhone 6.

I have a hard time seeing them abandon the 4" form factor. Three sizes of iPhone is very reasonable and should cover a good 98% of the market. I wouldn't expect a new enclosure for any 4" iPhone any time in the next year, at least, though.

It's hard to predict what Apple will do, though. They took their sweet time going to 4.7" and larger, and now that they're doing it, the battery leaks make it seem like they're going too thin to have any more than a moderate improvement in battery life over the 5S.

A 20nm A8 in a 4.7" iPhone with a ~2500mah battery could probably get two full days of moderate use and a whole day of very heavy use... or they could let the A8 have a slightly higher TDP and really destroy the performance of Qualcomm's Snapdragon 800 series.

touchdown100

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2014
No IPHONE 6!

I KEEP TELLING YOU PEOPLE THERE WILL BE NO AND I MEAN NO IPHONE 6 THIS YEAR!!

Tim Cook has not got what it takes to keep Apple going and keep then success up that Steve Jobs helped to create.
I think there were plans to have an Iphone 6 but there were too many problems so they are no just stalling.
I mean you lot get so excited about these leaks but you don't see that the leaked dummies are just that dummies...as are you!
They are simple mock ups so are not official at all.
No Iphone 6. No new hardware at all.
Apple have too many products to launch all in the last 3 months or so of the year.
Yet Tim Cook said that there would be new products throughout the whole of 2014. How on earth is the last 3 months of the year the whole of the year??

Tim Cook has not got a clue and should leave now while he can.
There are too many things to do.
New Macbooks, Iphone's, Mac mini, Ipad, Ipad mini retina, Iwatch or whatever Apple are meant to be working on.
Apple do not launch several different products all at same time as they want all the focus on one main product.
Apple won't hold 2 or more events so close together as again one can take the shine away from another.
So I see that there is too much work to do with too many products to launch with little time to do it all in.
Apple will just stall and hold things up and when the end of the year arrives, Tim Cook will just say "we have great products coming wait and see" and every time you ask him about them he will just repeat himself.

SO GET IT IN YOUR SILLY HEADS

NO IPHONE 6 OR NEW HARDWARE AT ALL THIS YEAR

Zinthar

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006

Tim Cook has not got what it takes to keep Apple going and keep then success up that Steve Jobs helped to create.

[cutting off the rest of this because it's pointless ranting]

Is this just a bad joke? I guess someone forgot to tell Foxconn and the rest of the Apple supply chain that the iPhone 6 is cancelled.

pocketpenguin

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2012
Is it just me or...

Is it just me or do those SIM card trays look out of proportion. I mean that they look like they hold a regular sized card, not a micro or nano size.

Zinthar

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Is it just me or do those SIM card trays look out of proportion. I mean that they look like they hold a regular sized card, not a micro or nano size.

The outside part is noticeably wider than the housing, and the left and ride sides of the housing are of equal length (IIRC, the left side of the housing is wider on micro and regular), so it appears to be nano sim to me.

Edit: By "housing", I'm referring to the piece that holds the sim card.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
This is becoming awfully boring. Apple's predictability and extreme focus on profit taking insures these same colors will be used for many years ahead.

exizeo

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2014
This is becoming awfully boring. Apple's predictability and extreme focus on profit taking insures these same colors will be used for many years ahead.

iPhone 4 added White.
iPhone 5 replaced glossy black and white with matte black and matte silver.
iPhone 5s replaced matte black with matte dark grey, and added champagne.

I'm sure we'll see more colours in the future.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix

I think there were plans to have an Iphone 6 but there were too many problems so they are no just stalling.
I mean you lot get so excited about these leaks but you don't see that the leaked dummies are just that dummies...as are you!
They are simple mock ups so are not official at all.
No Iphone 6. No new hardware at all.
Apple have too many products to launch all in the last 3 months or so of the year.
Yet Tim Cook said that there would be new products throughout the whole of 2014. How on earth is the last 3 months of the year the whole of the year??

Tim Cook has not got a clue and should leave now while he can.
There are too many things to do.
New Macbooks, Iphone's, Mac mini, Ipad, Ipad mini retina, Iwatch or whatever Apple are meant to be working on.
Apple do not launch several different products all at same time as they want all the focus on one main product.
Apple won't hold 2 or more events so close together as again one can take the shine away from another.
So I see that there is too much work to do with too many products to launch with little time to do it all in.
Apple will just stall and hold things up and when the end of the year arrives, Tim Cook will just say "we have great products coming wait and see" and every time you ask him about them he will just repeat himself.

SO GET IT IN YOUR SILLY HEADS

Dude not sure what apple / cook did to you but im sorry.

NO way they miss releasing an iphone every year...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.