Clamshell and Panther

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by unage85, Nov 4, 2003.

1. unage85 macrumors newbie

Installed Panther on my Blueberry 300 mHz iBook and it was shocking! It looked like someone got paint thinner and took the colour out of Aqua. The background image displayed fine at a setting of "millions of colours" but dam aqua was strugling to display 3 colours as it was way over exposed!

I went to http://discussions.info.apple.com/ and thank christ Im not the only one. Hmm... I would've spend $229AU for nothin! Hopefully Apple will release software when its fully mature and not give into public pressure and release buggy, uncomplete (and expensive) versions of what has the potential of being a good OS.

The way Apple is treating the G3 really sucks espcially its this line which looks the funkiest! :p

And whats with the new font in the system? Its looks like the GUI went on a diet...

BTW, iBook - 300 mHz, 288 RAM and 20gig

2. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

I haven't noticed any significant change in the color or fonts on my Powermac G4.
    Feels faster and more dynamic than Jaguar here, and I have yet to run into any problems at all.

Without Altivec support and a modern video chipset, you're probably not going to be as thrilled with Panther as those with G4/G5 systems.
    Panther is a stunning upgrade with the right hardware.

BTW, The new "classic" menubar item is a very nice touch; just like having the old OS9 Apple menu again!
    This OS is literally teeming with little hidden surprises.

3. sparks9 macrumors 6502a

Is it really advisable to run Panther on a G3? :rolleyes:

4. unage85 thread starter macrumors newbie

It works but dam its ugly!

Panther will run on G3s but it really looks ugly. And when you have to looks at the screen all day it does get annoying. I dont see why it shouldn't work becuse I am running 10.2.8 and the screen looks better than on my eMac. Ive never had problems with the screen before just with Panther.

5. agesaun macrumors newbie

Panther looks fine on my G3

I am running a iBook 700 G3 and Panther looks as good a Jaguar did, if not a little better graphically. I have millions of colors and everything looks beautiful (the display quality puts my roommates Campaq laptop display to shame) . So, the G3 is probably not to blame but it sounds like a video card issue. Maybe Apple didn't optimize Panther graphics for your model or could just be a bug.

6. DeKa macrumors member

I did a clean install on an iBook 300 last night (320mb ram and 6gb HDD) and it seems to run Panther perfectly. I haven't noticed any weird colours, and I did the install next to my 17" iMac so I should have noticed anything strange going on.

All in all I'm very impressed with the speed that the G3 300 runs Panther! I copied music files back over the network, at the same time as the iPhoto library at the same time as installing Office X and it didn't mind at all :D

Derek.

7. McToast macrumors member

I'm running Panther on my iMac G3 500mhz with 640mb RAM and it runs fine and it looks fine. It does *not* look ugly.

8. iEric macrumors 6502a

Re: Clamshell and Panther

Its your fault for still having a clamshell! LOL J/K

9. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

So no one recommends putting Panther on a clamshell iBook?

I managed to shoe-horn Jag on a couple clamshells with 160M RAM and 3 Gig drives. Works but.. debateable whether its usable.
    I could only getto about 600 Meg disk space available after the install.
    At WWDC, I same clamshell running Jag with 1.3 G available. Must of stripped all the fat off.

10. janmorren macrumors newbie

Clamshell Blueberry works PERFECT

I'm installing an iBook clamshell Blueberry G3 300 MHz, with 288 MB RAM, 4MB VRAM, and Panther is behaving just like a pussycat. Sweet and gentle, and it runs Photoshop 7, Office X, so guys, I proved that Panther is definetily working on these machines, and I think it runs a little smoother than Jaguar.
    I must add, that I installed from scratch, maybe that's something that you have to take in account.

:D

11. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

G3 iMac 128 here and it works and looks fine to me bit slow at times but blame that on memory issues.

12. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

What do you have for a hard disk?
    How much space left?

13. macrlz9 macrumors 6502

macrlz9

yea i noticed the same thing on my clamshell when i installed it, i had to mess with the colorsync profile in the displays pref pane

14. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

HERES THE SPECS

ATA-4 Bus:

QUANTUM FIREBALL lct10 6.8A:

Capacity: 6.38 GB
    imac:

Capacity: 6.38 GB
    Available: 1.56 GB
    ATY,Rage128VR:

Type: display
    Bus: AGP
    VRAM (Total): 8 MB
    Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
    Device ID: 0x524c
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    ROM Revision: 113-XXXXX-115

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 75 Hz
    Depth: 32-bit Color
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Main Display: Yes
    There ya go hows that lol :D

15. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    1.68 gigs available, yikes, thats like a GAME

16. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

10.3 runs fine on my 300mhz clamshell ibook & 233mhz imac.

17. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

i like to think of it as a small but easil controlled enviroment of which i struggle to deal with every day. but stil most of the space has been taken by vidoe and audio files and very little else.

18. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

What are your HD stats?

19. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

the ibook is 3GB. if you install 10.3 without all the printer & extra fonts the install is under 2GB. . I have photoshop elements installed at 147MB and a few shareware apps
    app folder = 411mb
    library = 124mb
    system = 794mb
    users 569 mb

free space = 761mb

the imac is 4GB and with 2GB free,

20. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

I'm running Panther on a 233MHz iMac (the Original iMac) with 256MB RAM and it runs faster than Jaguar. There are no color problems either. No problems at all.

I'm also running Panther on a 500MHz iBook (Dual USB) without any problems at all. In fact it runs much better with Panther.

The person who originally posted this might want to re-install Panther, putting a fresh copy of Panther and NOT an Upgrade. Doing an upgrade from another version of OS X just screws everything up royally!

21. martinol macrumors newbie

i am using panther 10.3.2 with no problems, i have changed the hard-disk though, now have a 20gig IBM travelstar, rather than the original 3gig and have maxed ram at 288meg.

The HD upgrade isn't too bad to do as long as are careful, does anyone know anything about how hot the new 5400rpm drives get?

22. bondipete macrumors member

Re: Clamshell and Panther

Hey! I still have my clamshell graphite SE and people still coo over it. it's a classic. a slow classic, but a classic nonetheless. Even if it is big, and heavy, and fairly slow, and with a trifling hard drive. :)
    but I have panther on it. it doesn't run it fast, but it copes. just. a bit better than jag was.
    and, being the glutton for punishment that I am, I'm about to give panther a crack on my Bondi iMac. Wish me luck!

23. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Re: Re: Clamshell and Panther

Just did that. Works well. But there is a firmware upgrade that needs to be done in OS 9. If you don't it make rebooting more difficult. OS X messes with the NV ram.