Clamshell Hard drive replacement

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Wes, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Hey, I'm looking to replace the 6 Gig hard drive in my clamshell 366 SE. Anybody done this before? What hd specs required? Any websites that detail the process? Was it worth it? Basically everything to do with the process.

Thanks!

2. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Clamshell Hard drive replacement

there used to be sites on this type of thing but of course, they have all been updated to reflect newer macs...as for getting old mac stuff, some of it really old pre '98, check out www.sunremarketing.com

of course, everyday something really old becomes totally unsellable and stuff that is used, or off the shelves, falls off that site

there are some enthusiasts out there who like to tinker with the old mac classics and apple IIe models and scour the country's garage sales and make them work just for the challenge

also try www.woz.org because there are enthusiasts who like to tinker with older stuff, too...and check out the links woz puts on his site for mac and apple users

also try www.lowendmac.com and look at the sections and links related to ibooks

i hope these links help you out

3. Wes thread starter macrumors 68020

Wes

Re: Re: Clamshell Hard drive replacement

Maybe it's just me, but I can't get that link to work.

4. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Re: Re: Clamshell Hard drive replacement

it seems to be down right now...i hope not out though

but try www.lowendmac.com because they have the most info and help for us older mac users...i hav rev a ibook as my main machine and it turns 47 months old tomorrow...i have no idea how many days that is since i have booted the thing up almost every day and sometimes up to three times in one day

man those original clamshell ibooks are built like tanks:p

5. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

I have actually done this. I replaced the 10GB drive with a 30GB drive. It's an all day event, and it requires literally taking apart the entire computer. The hard drive is just about the last thing you can get to. PM me if you want some instructions. I'll try to walk you through it as best as I can, but go with a FireWire drive if you have any question about your ability to put it all back together properly. And also make sure the dimensions of the drive you want to replace it with are correct.

6. Wes thread starter macrumors 68020

Wes

That's the problem, this has no FW port.

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I recommend OWC for all your upgrades. Go to that page, and you'll see a selection of different computers, select iBook, then Show Models, then just select iBook and Storage Upgrades. OWC lists all the Firewire and external drives first, but after that they list all the externals. They have good prices and excellent support.

8. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i was just there at other world computing's site just minutes ago and they are great...wow, great stuff

i second that recommendation:D

9. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

www.xlr8yourmac.com has probably all the pictures and a good story that walks you through it. Goodluck with your adventure!