clamshell ibook purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by masterjedi73, Mar 10, 2004.

1. masterjedi73 macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

Ok. I just purchased a clamshell iBook, but it doesn't come with any system software. What can I put on it?

Processor Speed: 300 MHz
    Hard Drive Capacity: 5.6 GB
    Memory (RAM): 192 MB

I thought I had a copy of panther on CD, but I only have it on DVD (came with my G5). I don't think I have any others.

If I buy software on ebay, do I have to make sure it's only for a G3? In other words, can I buy system software that came with an emac, or will it not work?

....I'm confused. lol

2. macrlz9 macrumors 6502

macrlz9

no the processor doesn't matter at all actually. you can even use your G5 dvd if you connect the 2 comptuers with a crossover cable and install the os that way...

3. masterjedi73 thread starter macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

so I could just connect everything through an ethernet cable? Will the G5 recognize the ibook? I don't think there's any software on it at all yet.

4. macrlz9 macrumors 6502

macrlz9

ooooh no nevermind you can't do that sorry wasn't thinking...you can't do firewire cuz that model ibook doesn't have firewire. i guess you would have to get a copy somewhere else then, but to you question no apple doesn't have specific versions of software for specific processors, panther is panther for example works on g3, g4, and g5

5. belf8st macrumors member

You can install a linux distro on your ibook.
    http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/ will probably run fine on that machine.