clamshell ibook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dorqiekat, Jan 30, 2005.

1. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

Jul 3, 2004
    I'll be studying abroad in France next year, and I'm a bit paranoid about taking my new pb with me. If I buy a clamshell ibook (not loaded), very cheap, and install OSX on it, will it run? And will I be able to run the basics? ie, word, powerpoint, internet browsing and chat? Slow processor won't be a problem since I'll be getting what I paid for. I know I'm dreaming, but I'm hoping to find one for 150-200. I don't think I'll be able to afford or spare any more. :rolleyes: Oh, and does the ibook play dvds?

2. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

Sep 23, 2003
    London, England
    I have a Tangerine ibook, 10.3.7 does run on it but it only has a 3GB HD so its gets very tight for disk space. The later clamshells had bigger HD & DVD roms
  3. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

Dec 26, 2003
    Las vegas
    i have a special edition clamshell with a dvd rom 10 gig drive. Its 466mhz and runs panther very nicely.
  4. svejar macrumors member

Jan 18, 2004
    Let me see if I get this: you bought a new PB that you won't be using for the next year? That doesn't make sense to me. If you're afraid of taking it with you, why not sell it and get a new iBook? Than you can get a new PB when you get home, and don't have to search around for an old clamshell. Sure: you're gonna have to take a loss on the PB, but if it's new it shouldn't be more than what you plan to pay for clamshell (200 GBP's).
  5. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2004
    Daddy said not to talk to strangers
    Well i would think saving your money and taking your PB with you is the best thing, just spend some money of locks and a better bag with a lock.
  6. cluthz macrumors 68040

Jun 15, 2004
    I have a 300mhz clamshell (with 320MB RAM/6GB HD) is runs OSX ok. Before i upped the RAM (from 128) it was almost unusable
  7. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Jun 9, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I've got a blueberry clamshell (300MHz, 192MB, 3gig) and it runs panther pretty well. Make sure you turn off all the "spiffies", like dock magnification and what-not, and you should have a very usable computer. I'd definitely second getting a larger hard drive, as 3gig is barely enough to house an ample install of Mac OS X. (And then you've gotta get Office and all that other junk on there!)
  8. vollspacken macrumors 65816

Oct 17, 2002
    Boogie-Down Berlintown
    why??? what are you afraid of that could not happen to you in the U.S.???

I don't get it...

take it with you, there is no reason why you shouldn't. you will want your machine with you, trust me. get the international adapter set for your power supply (just the plugs, the supply will switch between 110 & 240 volts automatically), take the money you saved by not buying the clamshell and get yourself a nice digital camera or a DV cam so that you can document your semester abroad and make yourself a nice DVD through with movies and pics on it...

I did that when I studied at an U.S. college and I recommend you do it too... you have the Powerbook so why not use it...

9. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 3, 2004
    Well, only because this is my second pb, 3 weeks or so after I got my first one, some bozo broke into my apartment and stole it. I just felt that I'll be living with a lot of students that I've never met, and won't be spending much time in my room to keep track of everything.
  10. vollspacken macrumors 65816

Oct 17, 2002
    Boogie-Down Berlintown
    vSpacken to the rescue:
    - open backpack
    - put powerbook in backpack
    - close backpack
    - take backpack with you​

- leave room
    - reach into pocket
    - pull out keys
    - lock door (behind you..!)
    - leave

- go to store
    - buy kensington lock
    - go home
    - put lock on powerbook
    - secure powerbook to immovable object
    - get drunk, bang some hot chick at her place...

now, here comes the amazing part:

you can actually COMBINE the second and third alternative in order to make sure your powerbook is even more secure... wow!!! ...but wait, there's even more... check this out: you can put the kensington lock into said backpack with the powerbook and secure the powerbook to any immovable object wherever you take it!

11. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2004
    Denver, CO
    might want to check out some pack-safe bags, they are essentially metal mech fences in bag form, which you can lock to heavy things, so as it can not be taken. but seriously, france is'nt any more dangerous than the US, and if you are careful, you should'nt have any problems.

PS: as you can see, Im running panther just fine.
  12. Orage macrumors newbie

Jan 23, 2005
    En Suisse
    Where will you be studying? What have you been reading about the French?

buy the lock someone mentioned above. Then buy a Lacie external HD large enough to backup your PB's HD (and then some for your music / videos). Then when you get here, get insurance to cover the theft of your PB, if it ever happens... If it gets stolen, you get dough to buy a new one... And don't forget to backup your HD to the Lacie every week or so (or as often as you like) and hide that..

The culture of fear that you live in over in the states does not exist over here in Europe. Granted, some places are better than others, but chill out some... You live, some people steal stuff, schit happens, and yes it's not enjoyable, but learn to live free and get on with your life..

13. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 3, 2004
    LOL! Now only if I weren't so attracted to my boyfriend.... hmmm. :p

I think I'll look into insurance for it. Now, where can I get laptop insurance? And do I get one here, or in France? I'll be staying at the UC center in Paris. I'm not sure if I'll be sharing a room in a dorm, or sharing a room w/fellow student with a family in Paris.

I guess I was just trying to justify my need to get my hands on a tangerine ibook. I mean, its simple math. I love orange + want ibook for france - don't want to take pb = buy tangerine ibook on ebay, let brother enjoy pb, justify it in MR. :( it didn't work.
  14. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

Jul 20, 2004
    I'm not sure how old you are but when I was away at school all of my stuff was covered under my parents homeowners policy. It may not apply if you're abroad, but its defintely worth looking into.