Clapper software

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by ibookster, Jul 29, 2004.

1. ibookster macrumors member

Does anyone know if there exists software that has the same function as a clapper switch for lights? I would love to have an app that would allow me to control scripts by the sound of my clapping hands. Imagine opening/ending itunes by clapping, or putting your mac to sleep. Does anyone know if such a product exists? Kinda like speech recognition for people who are too lazy to talk :D

To all you hardcore programmers...get moving. I need yet another app to support my lazy lifestyle. :p

2. FriarCrazy macrumors regular

I dont know why, but the thought of a clapper for you Mac is absurdly funny. I can see my grandparents running to the Apple store if that feature was ever implemented...

In terms of actually accomplishing this task, have you tried messing around with the speech settings much? You can control applications pretty easily with your voice, mayhaps there is a way to make new commands and then record sounds for them?

3. ibookster thread starter macrumors member

nope

Nope I have not tried to do it with speech. You have to hold down a button for the function to work right? That would kinda spoil the clapping part. Kinda hard clapping with one hand, although very entertaining to look at.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You obviously did a lot of research into how speech recognition works. :D

Looking at the screenshot, you'll see a place where you can put a catchword, such as computer, to make the computer listen to your command. Doing so eliminates the need for hands.

Attached Files:

5. ibookster thread starter macrumors member

Haha. As you can tell I have not really gotten intimate with the speech part of os x. Anyway I dont think it will help with the clapper thing. unless I make a new item that reads "clap clap" :p

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Uh huh. Back in 1997 and 1998, I used speech recognition extensively to control the computer. In the morning while I was getting ready, I would have it getting e-mail and going to websites, all by using just my voice. Now, since I don't have a reasonable microphone, I rarely use speech recognition.