Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Clarion, JVC, and Kenwood have introduced new CarPlay systems at CES 2017 this week in Las Vegas, providing iPhone users with additional aftermarket options for adding Apple's in-car software to their dashboards.

Clarion's new flagship NX807 unit is a 7-inch HD touchscreen with tilt control. In addition to CarPlay, it is SiriusXM ready and features an HDMI input, dual USB ports, support for Pandora and Bluetooth music streaming and calling, embedded GPS navigation, RCA audio and video inputs, rear-view camera support, and more.

Clarion-CarPlay.jpeg

For audio aficionados, the NX807 has optical digital output that enables plug-and-play integration with Clarion's Full Digital Sound processor. The unit also supports high-resolution 96kHz/24-bit FLAC audio and has a 15-band graphic equalizer with low-pass and high-pass filters and Dynamic Bass Enhancement.

Clarion said the NX807 will be available in early 2017 through retailers such as Amazon, Crutchfield, and Sonic Electronics. Pricing was not disclosed.

Kenwood-CarPlay-2017.jpg

Kenwood's new DMX7704S unit has a new clear resistive display panel with improved touch response and electronic viewing angle adjustment. In addition to CarPlay and Android Auto, it features dual USB ports, HD Radio, SiriusXM access, Pandora and Bluetooth music streaming and calling, rear-view camera support, and more.

The DMX7704S supports the High-Resolution Audio format and is able to play media encoded as 192kHz/24-bit WAV (Waveform Audio) or DSD (Direct Stream Digital) files. The receiver is also compatible with FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) and AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) files. It has a built-in 13-band equalizer.

JVC-CarPlay-2017.jpg

Kenwood said the DMX7704S is scheduled to ship in February for a suggested price of $550. Sound of Tri-State appears to be accepting pre-orders now.

JVC will be introducing seven new multimedia receivers for 2017, including two with CarPlay and Android Auto support. A new KW-M730BT model, for example, will feature a 6.8-inch screen with a USB port and support for 192kHz/24-bit FLAC-encoded media. Pricing will start at $280, with first quarter availability.

None of the Clarion, JVC, or Kenwood models appear to support wireless CarPlay. iPhones must be connected to the systems with a Lightning to USB cable.

Article Link: CES 2017: Clarion, JVC, and Kenwood Debut New Aftermarket CarPlay Systems

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
I applaud car audio manufacturers for making aftermarket CP/AA units available. I just wish car manufacturers weren't doing everything in their power to make aftermarket units so difficult or impossible to install/integrate. I remember the good old days when a car either had DIN or Double-DIN space and few required breakout boxes for door chimes, etc. Now there's so much integration of the car's onboard computer systems, climate controls, and other bells & whistles it takes custom dash and brace kits, multiple breakout boxes, and a virgin sacrifice to the car audio gods to get an aftermarket unit into a new vehicle. Which is a shame, because in my experience, the baked in "infotainment" software in most new vehicles is abhorrent.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Why are we not seeing any wireless CarPlay units?
Currently wireless CarPlay uses wifi, so I'm guessing these aftermarket companies have not yet figured out a way to jam all the gear including wifi into these double DIN chassis.

BMW has wireless CarPlay in many of its 2017 models, but they use a separate wifi module that is mounted away from the head unit.

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate

This was what I was hoping for out of CES. I want to do a custom multimedia install in one of my vehicles but it seems silly that all of the aftermarket units still require wired CarPlay. My hope was that Kenwood/Pioneer/Alpine would be announcing wireless at CES. Still hope for one of the others though I suppose.

On a related note, are there methods to still use the MB joystick with aftermarket receivers? Kind of like a steering wheel kit? I don't want that just sitting there as a useless interface (although as a UI I'm not a fan of it to begin with).

ortiz3m

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
Houston TX
See one of the most important things I'm looking for is 2.4a charging through the USB port. I only found one headunit last year that supported that but didn't have HDradio. It's hard to pull that information out of some of the specs too.

jschu22

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2008
Currently wireless CarPlay uses wifi, so I'm guessing these aftermarket companies have not yet figured out a way to jam all the gear including wifi into these double DIN chassis.

Probably because that would require too much investment on the manufacturer, for a category they aren't actually doing much R&D for. Don't let these annual "upgrades" fool you- They have done very little over time other than repackaging the previous year's HU with slight UI changes that could have been done via a software update. Cant do that though because how else will they get their 17 customers (I happen to be one) to buy something new.

Reactions: Weaselboy

critter13

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010

I think its because apple is asking them to wait until wireless charging is announced on the next iPhone. Im guessing wireless CarPlay will use a decent amount of battery, so users will want to plug in their phone to charge. If its plugged in then what is the point of wireless CarPlay? Wireless charging changes that. Power and data wireless is the goal. I wouldnt be suprised if some of these units have wifi chips that will just need a firmware update to enable wireless CP

anthonylambert

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2002
UK
These aftermarket systems need to make a break from the DIN and double DIN format. Modern cars are no longer plugable as there systems have other non music functionality. They need to produce Carplay units in two units, a screen interface unit and a box of tricks unit which can be put somewhere else in the car like the boot or under a seat.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
I've been holding off on CarPlay until offline maps are supported. Maps on CarPlay is very spotty at best where I live.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I think its because apple is asking them to wait until wireless charging is announced on the next iPhone. Im guessing wireless CarPlay will use a decent amount of battery, so users will want to plug in their phone to charge. If its plugged in then what is the point of wireless CarPlay? Wireless charging changes that. Power and data wireless is the goal. I wouldnt be suprised if some of these units have wifi chips that will just need a firmware update to enable wireless CP
There already is wireless CarPlay with existing iPhones. Like I mentioned, several 2017 model BMWs have it. So it has nothing to do with Apple.

rotax

macrumors regular
May 17, 2010
Why are there no single-din carplay units? Is there something in the specification preventing these from being made?

i think there is a minimum screen size requirement

Understood, but that is why they have the motorized screens that come out and flip up. So many older cars that have next to no new tech and out of date bluetooth can only use single DIN. Very much needed.

Bob Zimmerman

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2015
I applaud car audio manufacturers for making aftermarket CP/AA units available. I just wish car manufacturers weren't doing everything in their power to make aftermarket units so difficult or impossible to install/integrate. I remember the good old days when a car either had DIN or Double-DIN space and few required breakout boxes for door chimes, etc. Now there's so much integration of the car's onboard computer systems, climate controls, and other bells & whistles it takes custom dash and brace kits, multiple breakout boxes, and a virgin sacrifice to the car audio gods to get an aftermarket unit into a new vehicle. Which is a shame, because in my experience, the baked in "infotainment" software in most new vehicles is abhorrent.
For a lot of aftermarket head units, the only integration box you need is an iDatalink Maestro. Mine was about $90 and included a wiring harness that plugs into my car's wiring right where the factory radio originally did. All I had to do was crimp a connector on about 18 loose wires, then crimp a corresponding connector onto the wiring harness that came with my replacement head unit. Perfect integration with the wheel controls and everything.

Note: I definitely agree that car software sucks and the manufacturers are trying to go "smart" with too much. I only bring this up because it solves the specific problem you mentioned for a lot of cars and a lot of aftermarket head units.

jeffthechef

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2015

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
...I haven't owned a vehicle that I haven't replaced the head unit and speakers in.

You replace the head unit and speakers and luxury vehicles? Such as infinity, Mercedes, BMW or are you speaking to more economy cars?

Yuniverse

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2003
Well get it next year.

Apple will roll out wireless charging this fall on the iPhone 7s and next year CES we will see wireless carplay units :)

Actually, it's already here (almost).

Alpine iLX-107
[doublepost=1486591781][/doublepost]
Hey just saw the post from AppleInsider. Kenwood is debuting a wireless CarPlay iLX-107. Here's the alpine link

http://www.alpine-usa.com/company/p...in-dash-receiver-with-wireless-apple-carplay/
As your link already shows, it's from Alpine, not Kenwood

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.