Clark and voting rights

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Wesley Clark is in Birmingham today and gave a speech at the Sixteenth Street Baptist Church there. What impressed me about the speech was the upfront criticism of tactics of the Republicans to deny the vote to african americans. Clark makes no bones about the fact that he thinks in 2000 the only "vote that George W. Bush won was the one that took place in the chambers of the United States Supreme Court." I like the fact he went to what is hollowed ground for many who lived through and remember the days of the civil rights movement. I like the fight in this speech; it might even convince this middle-aged lefty to vote for a General.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Nice. Clark has the fire in the belly to be CIC. Notice how he now has a campaign ad in NH showing him receiving a medal from Bill Clinton. Finally someone not afraid to run from the Clinton legacy. This kind of civil rights stuff will play well in the southern states where getting the minority vote out can decide which way the state votes.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its time to can the electoral college, simply add up everyones vote and who ever has the most wins.

4. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Don't Hurt Me,

You and I agree completely on the electoral college. What do you think of Clark's speech? His focus is on the southern states, and I would be interested in how his campaign is playing, especially in South Carolina.

mac, I hope this speech wasn't just for the benefit of a black audience. If he mentions nothing about the 2000 election and voter intimidation in front of white audiences, I will be very disappointed. Wouldn't be the first time a candidate has done that, but it would not bode well. I expect candidates to tailor their speeches to some degree, it is just matter of how great a difference there is from audience to audience. I'll be keeping track.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

A lot of what he says is true everyone should be treated equal period. but the black population has a very big culture problem and that is a majority of the children dont live with a mother and father. they grow up with out a dad around because dad is gone. I live in South Carolina and its everywhere kids born out of wedlock. I think its between 50-70% now think about that. How are you going to mold a child into a person without Mom & Dad. sure it can happen but what is happening is these kids grow up and start getting into trouble hence the large population in jail.
    I dont see any leglislation that can change a culture and not having a nuclear family i believe is the biggest roadblock to turning these numbers that Clark talks about around.

6. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

You raise a very different, if interrelated, problem than what the thread is about. First, let me say that there are all kinds of reasons for the growth of single parent households. I think it is just not correct to say that this growth in the Black community is a reflection of some kind of defect in Black Culture. Having said that, I do think that there is a problem of hopelessness and marginalization of young urban youth that effects young black men disproportionally to others. If one grows up in a life where little hope of a meaningful job or inclusion is on the horizon it has a powerful effect on how you view life and others. I don't think it is possible to solve the problem of fatherless households in any area of our country without keeping that in mind for young men of whatever ethnic background. I think the only way forward is to acknowledge that these young men are our sons and as such we, as a society, have to show that their futures are important to us.

Does that mean that there is no individual responsibility on the part of young men who father children and then leave them for others to care for? I don't think so for a minute. If my own son did so I would be all over him concerning his responsibility to his child and my grandchild. I'm all for the enforcement of deadbeat dad legislation. I'm also for early education about the responsibilities that go along with sex, and sexual education in general. It is not only in the black community in which we celebrate the "player" who is involved with many women.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that it will take a multitude of approaches to turn the problem around. Moral condemnation alone will not get us anywhere, especially if it is by way of the stigmatization of an entire culture.

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Clark is trying really hard to endear himself to minorities, courting many of Clinton's old voters. I'm helping grassroots campaign for the Iowa primaries, taking place in a few short weeks :eek:

Dean may be able to take the primaries, but Clark is the only one that'll win against Bush.

paul

8. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I hope you're wrong about that Paul. Let's make a determination about that when we see how well Clark, Dean, and others actually do in the primaries.

I'm glad the Clark campaign is reaching out to minority voters. I noticed the first two national chairman are black. I didn't even think Andrew Young was interested in national politics anymore.

Lastly, Paul, I thought Clark had pulled out of Iowa -- what are you doing there?

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm not implying that the speech is soley aimed at blacks or anything like that, I think Clark is better than that, but it should help him in an area where the Dems are weak right now, the south. I sure hope he continues this kind of talk, the issue of voting rights needs airing.