Clark Gaining on Dean

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Durandal7, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

It should be an interesting primary, it may have an unexpected outcome.

2. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

The major problem for Dean in New Hampshire is that the expectations are so high. He has to now blow away the rest of the field or there will be pundits crying over "what happened to the Dean campaign?" In Iowa it is not quite as bad but a close race with Gephardt will start whispers of Dean's vulnerability. I'm certainly considering voting for Dean, but it will be interesting to see how he handles the minefields of the next few weeks.

For Clark it is very different. Anything in Iowa will be a surprise and in New Hampshire a second place or a strong third will be a victory. His test will come in South Carolina and Arizona. Clark will have to win at least one of those states.

edit: I just read where Madonna has endorsed Clark. The heck with Gore and Bradley! :p Seriously, I'm surprised she endorsed anyone in the primaries.

3. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I think Clark has a legitimate chance of beating Bush, but for now Dean is too liberal for most. However, history has proven that candidates always move closer to the center during the real election, so we'll see what happens pretty soon.

In an election, it's bell curve, bell curve, bell curve. Moderate's generally do better as presidents anyway because they annoy fewer people. Take Clinton for instance, his policies and actions were very moderate, and he enjoyed rather high success.

Clinton did the liberals some favors and the conservatives some favors, and few can say much about his presidency... his personal life on the other hand!!!!;)

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Re: Clark Gaining on Dean

New Hampshire primary with an unexpected outcome? Nah!!! Never happen.

Lol, it wouldn't be NH without the unexpected.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Im starting to like Dean more and more, i do agree with his healthplan for America. Clark was a general in the military establishment and though he has the credentials Dean has ran a state for a while just as George did. Clark on the otherhand is use to giving orders rather then listening. we do hear how Dean is constantly a liberal but i dont see it. He was a fiscal conservative and i like that compared to George whom i voted for is a spending Liberal no matter how you look at it. talk about jumping the fence. i guess im a social liberal and fiscal conservative. lets focus on Iowa.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Seriously, I'm surprised anyone cares who Madonna endorses.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm sure Dean will be easier for the Bush campaign to portray as "too liberal," even though his record and his positions don't seem to support that label.

8. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

IJ, it was a joke! I don't care who she endorses. I'm surprised mainly because Clark doesn't seem like the "Material Girl" kind of candidate.

In Iowa, I hear that it is getting closer in the polls with Dean losing ground and Kerry and Edwards gaining ground. Gephardt is still within striking distance of Dean for first. This may play to Gephardt because Iowa, as a caucus state, is more dependent than other states for on the ground old fashioned organization that the trade union movement specializes in.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Then that makes two. Right, I'd never have suspected that Madonna had a thing for men in uniform. Well, ok, maybe entire regiments...

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

11. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Ok, IJ don't read this - it's about another celebrity endorsement of Clark. ;)

full text

Oh, and IJ, I liked the post about Clark. The more I find out the reasons Cohen, Shelton and other folks in the Pentagon didn't like Clark, the more I like him.

12. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

McGovern endorses Clark

I found this endorsement fascinating!

full text

I don't think McGovern will sway many people, but the fact he would choose Clark and not Dean is very interesting.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Re: McGovern endorses Clark

If only because the RNC strategy is to paint Dean as the second coming of George McGovern. We could do much worse of course -- say what you will about McGovern, but it's tough to argue today that he was wrong about the Vietnam War and Nixon was right, or that Nixon had the character and integrity to be President and McGovern didn't.