Clark to Quit Presidential Campaign

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Feb 10, 2004.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

2. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I saw the story too, and I'm sorry to see him go as well. I had almost convinced myself to vote for the general. I'll be surprised if it isn't a choice between Kerry and Edwards by March 2nd. Oh well, I can support either one.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

there's been some talk around here about a kerry/edwards ticket, which i think is possible, if not probable.

but if cheney _is_ dropped and is indeed replaced by mccain, i wonder if kerry would try to get clark on the ticket.

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Will democrats here in California have any choices left when the primary (March 2) rolls around?

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I was planning on voting for Clark too. Shame. I hope he returns to politics, he'd make a fine president someday.

6. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

There goes my top choice, on to number 2, Edwards.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Been expecting this for a couple weeks now, my sister kept using words like 'lackluster' to describe the Clark organization. Oh well, maybe another time. With the collapse of Dean and the rise of war-hero Kerry, Clark's reason for being in the race evaporated. It looks like his whole strategy hinged on Dean being strong coming out of IA and NH, and mainstream Democrats needing a candidate with a good military record to innoculate him from charges of being 'soft on terror'.

So now it's down to 5..... but Kerry has been annointed already. By the time I get to vote, it won't matter.

8. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It's certainly Kerry's race to lose now and short of a major stumble of some sort, I don't see how he can lose. If he was going to be vulnerable in the South, we'd have seen it this week. Edwards is still hanging in, but after yesterday he has to be thinking about what he'll say in his withdrawal speech.

I'm sure he'll try to keep his options open to be selected as Kerry's running-mate, but personally I don't see this happening. Kerry will need to find someone from the South, but Edwards presents the liability of also being a senator, and I suspect the party strategists are going to advise that it's not a great idea to potentially open two currently Democratic Senate seats. The question then becomes, "who's left?" It's not like the Democrats can reach out to a pool of rising young stars in the South. Kerry must have a short list in his own mind, but I'm stumped as to who could be on it.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Edwards will hang in a little longer in case something explosive comes out about Kerry. Slim chance, but it's all he's got at the moment.

10. wwworry macrumors regular

I would rather see an Edwards/Clark ticket and a longer primary process. I think it helps us all when there is more time for discussion. Plus all the states voting last have less choices.

Maybe if Edwards picked Clark now it would help him though a Kerry/Clark ticket would be good too. Anyone one of them would be better than the nonsence going on in the whitehouse now.

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Edwards speech about 2 America's is so true, just look at those Tyco executives,Enron,Martha, Cheney and Haliburton,Bush and Big business. The Democratic party should be hitting the Republicans a lot harder on this. Top Brass making millions while closing factories all across this land of ours and putting Americans into service jobs. Though Clark is out of the Race I think we will see him involved in the next administration in foreign affairs. Kerry Edwards would be a Great ticket. Edwards/Clark would be better.

12. DavisBAnimal macrumors member

Has this been discussed as an option? I hadn't seen that before.

Personally that would break my poor, little, political hear, McCain being probably my fav. politician around (so not caught up in partisan politics) and Bush perhaps being my least favorite. If it does happen I'd be shocked - McCain has been a very very vocal critic of the Bush administration this whole time out - criticism beyond just whinning cause he didn't win the primary. It would just be awkward to see him jump aboard a ship he has so many issues with.

That being said, I would be surprised if GW DIDN'T drop Cheney - he seems to cause a lot more problems than he helps (I always thought he was a weird pick anyway). A lot of moderates blame Cheney for Bush's hard line stance on foreign policy, and Halliburton sure doesn't make anyone more excited about their administration.

I had heard rumors of Bush dropping Dick and picking up Rudy Guliani - which I do think would be a worthwhile strategy for the Republicans, and could spell trouble for the Dems. Rudy's pretty well loved around, especially among moderates and independents, the key group here being attracted for a win. I don't know who Kerry could pick up that would be equally attractive - save for maybe Hillary?*

Time will tell.

Davis

*EDIT: I do realize the Repubs and Conservatives would have a field day with that.

13. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This primary process is about as long as we're going to get anymore. It certainly had more plot twists than most. Did anyone pick Kerry as the front-runner at the beginning? Nobody thought he was going anywhere at all until Iowa, and many figured he could still be beaten in the South until yesterday.

I'm as sorry as anyone to see Clark out (well, except maybe for Clark himself), but he entered the race late, missed Iowa, was an inexperienced candidate with inexperienced staff. That's just not a winning combination these days.

14. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Rudy Guliani had one, really fine moment after 9-11, but we should not forget, it was a moment of redemption. Before that, he was virtually a dead letter in New York City -- controversial and not well-loved by any means. It's not clear to me at the moment whether he'd be an asset or a liability at this point.

15. DavisBAnimal macrumors member

Oh no, I certainly realize that, and I haven't historically been a fan of Rudy by any means (his shining moment of piss-Davis-off came when he tried to ban that art exhibit at the Whitney which featured the Virgin Mary contructed out of elephant dung and cut-out pictures of vaginas. Sure, not tasteful, but trying to ban the exhibit seems to me to be overstepping the jurisdiction of being mayor).

However that one shining moment he had after 9-11 is what people outside NYC remember him by. The guy was Person of the Year three years ago - I think that's the taste people have in their mouths that would make him an assets. New Yorkers may know better, but then again, not many New Yorkers would be voting for Bush/Whomever anyway - its the bluest of the blues.

Davis

16. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If he was chosen as Bush's running-mate, his 9-11 gloss would be quickly dulled. A lot of things would also come up for examination, not the least of which was his messy personal life. Which brings up another problem with Guilani: slipping his selection past the Republican party faithful. A New York Republican isn't exactly mainstream in the GOP these days.

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i read some right-wing column somewhere that mentioned it. wasn't really worth linking to (and now i can't find it).

i think the guiliani thing is dead.

18. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

"who's left?" very funny :)

we have been speculating on running mates only from the pool of those who declared candidacy which, clearly, is short-sighted.

i'm not sure max cleland is doing much of anything these days. another war hero, despite what the GOP was able to do to him in georgia.

i'm going to make a bold prediction: in consideration is PA governor Ed Rendell.

why? the dems need PA to win the election. rendell has military service, and it makes sense to not run a pair of senators.

the downsides: PA isn't in the south or the plain states, rendell is jewish (NOTE: i'm not anti-semetic, i'm implying the DNC may see that as a liability)

some info on rendell, from here

19. DavisBAnimal macrumors member

Rendell would be a great pick - I hadn't thought of that. Something tells me, call it a hunch I guess, that his pick (if Kerry gets the nod) has a good chance of being a minority or woman. I don't know why, maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. That's why I wouldn't be surprised if he went for Hillary (although I doubt Hillary would agree, and the right would go nuts). I remember too discussion of the latino governor of New Mexico as a possibility, but I'm forgetting his name.

But in all honesty, I'll take a page from Mike Moore's book and say flat out his running mate should be Oprah. I mean, if Arnold is right now gov. of one of our biggest states, then Oprah surely has a place in politics. And seriously, who DOESN'T like Oprah? It would be glorious! She'd have us jogging every morning and could host her own presidential book club from the Oval office with world leader and dignitaries (I'd love to see Tony Blair, Vlad Putin or maybe even Kofi Anan debating "The Bluest Eye").

She'd be perfect - unless of course she's a republican (although that didn't stop Wes Clark! Ha! I kid).

All in all I think all this talk is kind of funny, seeing as I'm sure not even Kerry knows who he'd pick, who's up for the job, and we probably won't know until Boston.

Davis

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

not sure who you mean, bill richardson is gov of NM. janet napolitano, though, is gov of AZ.

link

21. DavisBAnimal macrumors member

That's a good point, but I don't think the DNC would object much, seeing as Gore's pick of Lieberman wasn't objected to, and the majority of American voters didn't seem to have a problem with Lieb being jewish (although perhaps some of those supreme court justices did!). Also, too, three of the most prominent candidates of this race have strong jewish ties - Lieberman(obviously), Clark, who was raised by a jewish mother (is that right? I think so), and Dean, whose wife is jewish and whose kids were raised jewish as well. I don't think it would be a liability this time around.

Davis

22. DavisBAnimal macrumors member

Yeah, that's who I was thinking of - Richardson. He's not latino?

23. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

At the risk of changing the topic of this thread: Don't discount the amount of anti-Semitism out there, or the impact bigots can have in a close election. The last election was decided by far fewer voters than the number of anti-Semites in the US.

Anyway, Richardson is being mentioned, but I don't see it. First of all, he's not from the South; second, he's not from an especially valuable state; third, he's a former Clinton staffer.

As for Oprah, that's a laugher. Ok, I'll admit it: I don't like Oprah.

24. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i don't like oprah either..

i also didn't really like clark

can some clark fans explain what they found so appealing about him?

after i heard the various quotes about him supporting the war, then denying it, i though of him as a liar... i can deal with someone changing their mind on something, but why not admit it?

and he seems to basically just be a general.... from what i've heard/seen of him, he doesn't really stand for a ton (admittedly, i haven't seen a ton on him), other than anti bush and such...

just curious why you like him so much

25. DavisBAnimal macrumors member

That's true about biggots and close elections, though remember the jew did come out on top last time (in terms of appeal to Americans). But you're right, you can already see it with Kerry's wife - I've read conservative columns complaining about how she pronounces her own first name (Ter-ay-za not Ter-ee-sa).

You're right, too - NM only has a handful of electoral votes, although if I remember correctly, the last election came out even closer than in Florida (in this case with Gore on top) - so it is a bit of a swing state this time out.

I sometimes wonder about our criteria here, though. Gore chose a jew from the north and a state with 7 electoral votes that's pretty reliably democratic. Bush chose an unknown retired administration head from a non-south republican state with 3 electoral votes. I don't know if the must-be-south/must-be-big-swing-state is a great indicator for VP pick.

Davis

And PS - come on, what's not to like about Oprah?