Clarke Urges Terrorism Testimony to Be Made Public

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Mar 28, 2004.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=615&e=1&u=/nm/20040328/pl_nm/security_rice_clarke_dc

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm in the middle of reading this August 2002 Times article that details Clarke's struggle in 2001 to get the bush administration to take his plans seriously.

3. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

It is amazing how the attack dogs of this administration are frothing at the mouth about Clarke. However, in the final analysis it doesn't matter if Richard Clarke said one thing at one moment and another latter on. Personally, I can't give much credibility to the various White House and GOP Congressional critics who are on overdrive in their contradictory statements, but none of it deals with the substance of Clarke's criticism. In his interview on Meet The Press, he has this to say,

It is these kind of critiques that must be answered, not if Clarke is making too much money from the sale of his book or if he spun things in the past to make Bush look good.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

imo, that bush's approval rating is above 10% is indicative of the fact that such tactics work

5. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I think the key is right here:

Bush ran as the anti-Clinton, which is why during the 2000 campaign he made absolutist statements in opposition to nation-building. He eventually had to disown them because they never made much sense beyond domestic political strategy. He also walked away from the Middle East peace process because it was a "Clinton thing." If ever the limits of political gamesmanship driven by ideology was apparent, it is here and now.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Unfortunately, character assasination seems to work. First impressions and all that. Team Bush is proving quite adept at smearing those who have previously served them but provided inconvienient information. Loyalty is regarded higher than the truth it seems.

7. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

mac and zim,

I agree that these tactics do work to blind people to reality. They may even be successful in getting Bush reelected. I hope not and the shrill character of them makes me think they are not working. More importantly they won't deal with the problems caused by the invasion of Iraq that Clarke raises and they won't lead us to any kind of solution to the causes of terrorism in the Islamic world.