Class Action Lawsuit Accuses Apple of Crippling iPhone 4s With iOS 9 Update

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 29, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today was hit with a class action lawsuit seeking over $5 million in damages for deceptive trade practices and false advertising, as noted by AppleInsider). Plaintiff Chaim Lerman says he and other iPhone 4s owners became unable to use their devices after upgrading to iOS 9 as the update "significantly slowed down" their iPhones and "interfered with the normal usage of the device."

According to the lawsuit, the plaintiffs were forced to either live with a "slow and buggy" device that "disrupts every day life" or shell out hundreds of dollars for a new iPhone.

[​IMG]
    The plaintiffs argue that Apple failed to properly warn iPhone 4s users that the update would "significantly interfere" with the performance of their phones. When Lerman and other plaintiffs upgraded their devices, they noticed a significant drop in performance in both third-party apps and basic functions like using the Phone app. Because Apple does not allow iPhone users to easily downgrade their devices to a previous iOS version, the plaintiffs feel they're forced into either using a slower phone or purchasing a new one.

Apple's advertising, the plaintiffs allege, does not mention the potential of slowed performance for iPhone 4s users, instead focusing on performance improvements. The lawsuit points towards Apple's iOS 9 website, which says the update brings "faster performance, improved security, convenient updates, and longer battery life." The plaintiffs argue that Apple must have known about the iPhone 4s' slower performance from internal testing or other means and did not warn users about potential headaches in their advertising.

This isn't the first time Apple has been accused of planned obsolescence, as the company was hit with a lawsuit in 2011 regarding the iPhone 3G and iOS 4. That case was thrown out by the judge who ruled the iOS 4 update was not a "good or service" and dismissed claims of false advertising and deceptive business practices.

Article Link: Class Action Lawsuit Accuses Apple of Crippling iPhone 4s With iOS 9 Update

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Agreed.

You buy a license to use their software on their terms.

3. BasicGreatGuy macrumors 68040

BasicGreatGuy

4. Altis macrumors 65816

Just reverted my iPhone 4S back to iOS 6 a few months ago. It's one of the few devices that can do it (via jailbreak) and it's absolutely amazing how well it performs now.

At navigating the OS, it's faster than my iPhone 6 now.

The updating business is my biggest complaint about Apple.

5. Romy90210 macrumors regular

LMFAOOOOO 5 millions????? Why not sue for 5 Billions... Hahaha Only in America!!!

6. tYNS macrumors regular

I wish my iPad 2 could go back to iOS 6. They literally destroyed the device forcing us to move to iOS 7 without the ability to go back. Biggest mistake I ever made was upgrading the iPad 2. Now it is a slow mess of crashes.

7. ThatGuyInLa macrumors member

I never upgrade my OS. We learned this "slow down" issue long ago with the 3Gs. I get a new OS when I get a new phone. I do point releases, but NEVER a full.

8. sfpbth7 macrumors newbie

sfpbth7

Christ!, who holds on to such relics these days?

9. Altis macrumors 65816

What happens when that software ruins your device? Too bad, so sad?

That's a pretty awful precedent to set. At the very least, the only thing Apple would need to do is allow you to revert back to an older version of iOS. That would solve this whole issue for once and for all.

10. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

What a joke. As if Craig Federighi tells his engineers to insert code that will intentionally slow down older devices. People sue for anything and everything these days. Only in America. :rolleyes:

You're not forced to upgrade. Up until last October my sister was using an iPhone 5 with iOS 6. Her iPad 2 is still running iOS 6. I can't believe for one second that iOS 9 runs worse on the 4S than iOS 8 did so how far would you let people revert back?

11. TMRJIJ macrumors 68000

TMRJIJ

More Conspiracies about software planned obsolesce. #Funny

12. TMRJIJ macrumors 68000

TMRJIJ

Nobody forced you to move to iOS 7.

13. LovingTeddy macrumors 6502a

LovingTeddy

LOL... How does plaintiff prove Apple intentionally cripple their iPhone 4S? People should grateful for Apple even provide iOS update to iPhone 4S.

However, that's being said, Apple should provide users options to downgrade firmware.

14. TechZeke macrumors 68000

It's funny, because people in the Andriod camp complain about the lack of support from manufacturers. Apple tries to get an OS that's designed to run on a device with 2-4x the RAM and 10x the CPU/GPU performance to run on a 4.5 year old smartphone and they still get sued.

Apple should at least give the option to downgrade at least to the previous version of iOS, though.

15. tekcor macrumors member

No, they did not literally destroy the device. But they did not come to your house and break it. It still functions, just not how you prefer. That is the opposite of literal. You mean they figuratively destroyed the device.

When Apple's update bricked my first gen iPod, that would be closer to a literal destruction of the device, but still not correct.

16. Rogifan, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015

Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Can non-business customers who upgrade to Windows 10 downgrade to Windows 7?

Are they suing to be able to revert back to a previous OS or arw they suing because they believe Apple intentionally make the software perform worse on older devices to get you to buy a new device? If it's the latter, what's next, is someone going to sue because the 6 Plus only had 1GB RAM?

For anyone that thinks Apple intentionally does these things....do they not realize a poor user experience will make someone less likely to purchase Apple products in the future?

17. LovingTeddy macrumors 6502a

LovingTeddy

LOL... If you can get ride of the annoying red update badge and iOS not automatically download. The annoying badge is constant reminder that there is update for you and you'd better Fuxxking update you idiot.

Yeah, no one physically force you upgrade. But when you need do service at Apple store, when your iOS 6 no longer functioning correctly or when you need to do DFU reset, users will have no option but upgrade. If this isn't forced upgrade, then what is?

18. NissanGuy23 macrumors member

Its really not that expensive at all to move to a new phone. Normally you can sell your old phone so if you upgrade lets say every 2 years your looking at $500 every two years. If you finance it with your carrier its ~$25 a month. Pretty low cost for such a advanced and high usage device IMO.

19. scottsjack macrumors 68000

They may have a point if they can show that the OS makes the phone less efficient or slower. In that case Apple should design a method for easily reverting to previous iOS that worked well.

20. apolloa macrumors 604

apolloa

Now THIS will be a story worth following. Will be looking forward to Apples response in court.

Apple could be found guilty of false advertising, it doesn't state anywhere that your device will run like poo after updating, and it also does NOT state you will not be able to roll back after 2 day's of the release of the new update.

21. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Apple should allow users to download and install whatever iOS they want. I don't see this as a big problem for Apple.

22. jimbobb24 macrumors 6502

On one hand this lawsuit is stupid.

On other - Apple broke face time and would not fix it unless you upgraded the iOS and deal with the degradation. I think their policy of forced software upgrades therefore deserve some negative publicity. They don't optimize well new iOS for old devices and make them very poor experiences. I have an old 4S and an iPad mini and both are horrible when updated. Shame on Apple for that.

23. khaosuser macrumors member

khaosuser

Wow the comments on this article are insane. The plaintiff has a case if they can find a way to compare the performance before and after updating.

It's great that Apple updates devices but they shouldn't do it at the expense of the devices slowing down.

24. TheGreenBastard macrumors 6502

TheGreenBastard

How about suing Android manufacturers for neglecting to patch major vulnerabilities?