Class Conflict

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MonksMac, Mar 11, 2006.

1. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

I'd thought I would ask your guys opinion on something. My question follows.

Ok so next year I have the choice of taking either regular math like I have for the last two years or take Algebra. They reccomend that if you want to take algebra and are in a regular class you should make a 90+(A) and you have to take a district test. What should I choose? :confused:

Thanks,MonksMac

2. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

God. I thought the proletariat had risen while I was taking a nap.

What is regular math?

3. MonksMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

Math that goes at a slower pace. Algebra is supposed to be the advance course.

4. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

what grade are you in? im assuming 8th since you're in texas and algebra I is an advanced class. i say go for it--you're much more likely to regret not taking it than to regret taking it.

5. MonksMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

Thanks! I have done much better in math this year so it seems like good possibliity and it will probably give me the upper hand in HS.

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

So did I, I thought the next time I went to the states everyone would be wearing overalls and breaking wind in the palaces of the mighty.

Isn't algebra a part of maths?

You guys have weird classes if they don't teach you algebra in your maths class.

7. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

Definitely Algebra. My middle school let me take 'Advanced Math', the 3rd year of which was in fact Algebra IA. I got a high school credit for it and took IB my freshman year along with Geometry (Other people had to take IA and IB in high school). Now for my junior year I'm done with Algebra and going to take Pre-Calc, and possible a Calculus class my senior year, which should make College Calculus a breeze.

So.. yeah.. go for it haha.. Can't hurt, right?

8. MonksMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

Yes they teach algebra in all math classes although they may not call it that. I'm assuming it will go into a greater detail.

9. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

basically, at least in texas, in middle school you normally take 'math' which is everything before algebra, then algebra in 9th grade, then geometry, then algebra 2, then pre-calculus, then calculus ab, then calculus bc. at least, that's the entire order. most people only make it through pre-calculus by senior year but if you're on an accelerated path you can make it through calculus bc.
    btw, for some reason, it's only one math in america

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If you've done well in math, I think you should use the opportunity to take Algebra. I think that, other than knowing how to do the four functions of basic arithmetic, Algebra skills are the most important math skills to have. If you are logical and can work systematically, you are probably ready for it.

When I saw the thread title "Class Conflict", I was preparing to move it to the Mac Programming forum, until I saw that it was about school classes, not classes in object-oriented programming. :D

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yeah, we just lump it all in. We start doing very basic algebra in yr. 6, then just get more and more advanced as you go along. Calculus comes in in yr. 11. It's all just Maths there's no definitive delineation between the different disciplines.

12. MonksMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

Update, Took the test failed,but oh well schools over now!