Class Rings

Discussion in 'Community' started by Steradian, Jan 25, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502

As I am senior (in high school) I have been Mulling over the decision to buy a 2004 class ring. I have heard from many different people, all of which tend to say that while it would a good-thing to have, the ring that I should get is the one after i graduate from a university as I will most likely just loose the HS class ring. What are your thoughts and Opinions, I have already set aside some cash for it.

2. macrumors 604

MacBandit

Class rings are a total waste of money.

There are free forms of sentimental objects like photos that are much more valuable.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha I know what you mean about the pictures, I have quite a few that I would deem priceless, however it is quite easy to customize a class ring. Anyone else have some thoughts?

4. macrumors P6

wdlove

I purchased my high school class ring, because it was the thing to do at the time. Have also lost that ring. Didn't get a college ring. My most precious ring is my wedding band.

5. macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i wear a signet ring to match my father's and my grandfather's... beats the hell out of any class ring and means so much more... in 3 years you won't remember high school anyway...

6. macrumors 68020

revenuee

I got a class ring ... i wore it around grad time and now it just sits in a box .... i wasn't going to get one because there were so ugly ... but i found one at the end that i really liked .... totally different then the other one's ... very simple

i like it ... i'm glad i have it ... i don't think any of my friends from highschool wear there's either ... but i met an upper year girl who wears hers ..

i like the idea of having it ...

7. macrumors 604

MacBandit

Agreed. Seems to me those that dwell on High School aren't busy enough creating there future.

8. macrumors 68020

revenuee

In all fairness high school helped me start my future ....

we had closed circuit television at our school and we would do the morning announcements in a news style format ...

It was part of the requirements for the Broadcast class ... i learned by basics in production

My teacher helped get started in freelance wedding videography.

I sparked my interests in film in highschool with the help of a few teachers ...

9. macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

eh, better that way- no divorce! :D

10. macrumors 604

scem0

I want to get one, but I keep putting it off.

I don't think I'll get one though because my mom will pay for it but it won't be worth all the crap she'll give me for it, and it will be replaced by a college ring soon enough.

scem0

11. macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

when i was in high school, the only people that got class rings were the kids who struggled and were very very lucky to graduate from high school... them and the kids who never wanted to let go of high school.

also, letter jackets were a waste of money... seriously think about when you would ever wear it after high school. i've seen a lot of people get made fun of in college for wearing their high school letter jacket around.

sure... high school is fun, but there is a time in life when you need to forget about it and move on to more mature things in life... like college! (ha... i just called college mature)

12. macrumors P6

wdlove

That is sad to hear scem0. :( You should try having a serious discussion with your Mom. She might suprise you with her actual thoughts!

13. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

They're fun to have your senior year, but are quite useless past that. If u are going to get one, don't go all out & buy an expensive one. If u think about it, u will only wear it around 9 months, and after high school u won't want to wear for the sake of not looking like a high school student since u will be a college student.

I stopped wearing my class ring about a month before graduation. Since then, it's sat in a drawer for 9 years. I'd have spent the money on something else in retrospect, but I wanted to be like everyone else back then. ;)

14. macrumors 68040

I never understood the point to them. What's the point of wearing a ring that massive and tacky unless it's a sign of Dukedom or something?

15. macrumors regular

Im in high school-
    Its way cool to have a class ring, but I said to myself- Why do I want to spend 3 or 400 dollars on an ugly ring Im only going to wear for a year or two and might lose anyway? Its sad when people are such slaves to fashion and tradition- If you're not rich then

Save your Money

16. macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

I didn't get one, and I don't regret it a bit. Class rings are nice for a year or two but eventually, you notice nobody wears them.

The guy from Jostens (evil school propaganda crap) came to our school to sell our graduation gear, and managed to sell "bling bling" tassles to half the class. They were six bucks, and you could only buy them with cash on the spot. He forgot to mention that the bling bling tassles were in addition to the FREE ones we get with our silly little hats.

You don't need the ring. Use that extra money for good senior pitures.

17. macrumors G3

Counterfit

I got one, there was a choice between gold (almost $500), there was the one I got, I forget what it's called, but it looks a bit like gold, but it's stronger and a bit darker, and one that was called "White gold". We also had the choice of red or blue stones, cut or smooth. I was the only guy that got blue and smooth :confused: I don't know why, but that's what happened. But, um, if you think you've enjoyed high school so far, go for it. Otherwise, save your money and buy some RAM :p

18. macrumors 65816

Dippo

EVERYONE I know that bought a class ring stopped wearing it within a year. Some of them spent over $500+

If you goto college, it would be kinda childish to still be wearing your high school ring.

Don't waste your money.

19. macrumors regular

Yeah- We too had one of those evil school supported propaganda guys :mad: come and pitch these things. Its sad the school lets them come and try to make commercial business with their students- like those Coke sponsorships (You can't get a Pepsi product at our school). He was slick. Also if they try to sell you "Ultrium"- be aware- its made of some nearly free metals like Aluminum ad bronze. Their profit margins must be insane :rolleyes:

20. macrumors 65816

Dippo

At least our stuff was real gold and silver. No Plantinum back then though. I wonder if they have it now?

21. macrumors 6502

Wow...

I bought a class ring as a sophomore in high school. I like it, it's very customized to fit me well. I'm now a junior in college and still wearing it, because I've gotten used to having a weight on my finger, mainly. I got it through Artcarved www.artcarved.com and they offer a trade-in rebate to get a college ring.

I didn't have the best experiences in high school, and I definitely didn't want to "hang on" to high school. I wouldn't say that I am not looking toward the future, either. I got a class ring because I liked it.

(I also had a letter jacket - one of like 5 out of 500 in my class - shows how popular they were at my school - warmest jacket I ever had...wore it for 3 years in high school, and never again)

22. macrumors 68020

revenuee

23. macrumors 6502

Pismo

My parents wanted to buy me a high school ring but I didn't want one because I hated my school and didn't want anything to do with it once I graduated.

I won't be buying a college ring because my dad gave me his college ring (same college) and that means a lot more to me than buying a new one.

24. macrumors G3

Counterfit

25. macrumors 68020

revenuee

*takes foot out of mouth*

sorry