Classic-AppleTalk connection error

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by sturm375, Apr 26, 2002.

1. sturm375 macrumors 6502

Every time I start Classic, I get an error message saying:

"An error occurred while trying to start up your AppleTalk connection. The built in LocalTalk port will be used instead."

Running OS 10.1.4 & Classic-9.2.2

Anybody have an idea as to what this means, and how I can stop it?

By the way, as far as I can tell, appletalk still works, as I have a classic application (4D) that talks just fine over appletalk to the server.

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Which system are you running it on??? Check the TCP/IP settings under classic to see if they are still correct. Does it do it under OS 9.x, or just from the classic mode?? If it still doesn't work, toss the Appletalk and TCP/IP preferences and reboot (make sure you write down any important settings first, so that you can redo it after the reboot).

How long since you ran maintenance/utilities on your system??? Things that should normally work no problem, that start failing is one of the signs that you should schedule up some utility time. If nothing else, get norton utilities (latest version, not version 5.x or earlier, as I am sure you know) and run them. NUM is good all around, with Diskwarrior and TechTool Pro 3.x doing some things better, while NUM does some of what they do better. That is why I run all three. :D

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Classic vs. OS 9.2

this is why I don't even bother with Classic...

seems Apple is going to have to dedicate a troubleshooter's guide to Classic before long (unless there is and I just haven't seen it!)...

I can't even get Classic to run Freehand for tiny tasks...so I just startup from my 9.2 partition...

4. sturm375 thread starter macrumors 6502

Checked-Tried-Failed

I checked all the settings, tried booting into native 9.x and cleaning house, used Norton Utilitites 6.0. All to no avail. The fortunate thing is within about 6 months, I hope, I will have full confidince in the carbonized version of 4D, which is the last app I use classic for.:)

By the way, after using Norton Disk Doctor, I found something strange. It alerted me to some "errors" on my disk, and so I had Norton fix them. After returning to OS X, I found that some of my preferences, like how to display the contents of a drive, and the Pictures I assign to drives were gone. Just a minor annoyance. Does Norton have an update to allow us to run in OS X yet?

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Checked-Tried-Failed

Did you also run speed disk??? I always have norton fix the errors, and I have set it to never ask before fixing them. How long ago did you run Norton on that computer/hard drive before this??

6. sturm375 thread starter macrumors 6502

Norton

The last time I ran Norton on this computer was months ago. I hadn't done so because the last time I ran all the optimizations, it really screwed up OS X. On the next load of OS X, it said something about fixing some things, then rebooted. Finally when all was running, I lost a lot of preferences in OS X. Bottom line is I don't think Norton understands what OS X does in the file system.

7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I suggest getting the newer version then. They released it not too long ago, and since you purchased the one you have now, you can get it for less $$. NUM 7 is OS X native, which could eliminate the lost preferences issues you described. I never encountered those on my own system, but can see how it could be annoying for you.

Do you use a single partition, or do you subscribe to the multiple partition's party??? I go one big one (some things are just better when they are larger :D ).

Oh yeah, I never installed any versions of NUM, until version 7. I always run them from a cd that I boot from. How about you???

8. sturm375 thread starter macrumors 6502

NUM for OS X

I had heard that Norton was going to release an OS X native version, however the beta that was released was reported to be very buggy. I am glad to hear that they have fixed it.

Yes I subscribe to the partition school of thought. REALLY helped when I upgraded my Hard Drive in my TiPB. As I only had to re-install OS X. The OS 9 partiton and other just copied with no trouble.

That and I eventually plan on installing a version of either Yellow Dog, or SuSE linux on my PB.