"Classic" arcade games

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Moe, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Moe macrumors regular

Keeping in mind my switch from MS-DOS to the then new Mac SE occured in 1987, I picked up an LCIII when it came out, and then switched back to PCs and Windows NT in about 1994, my Mac experience is limited to 68K stuff up through System 7.

In entertaining another switch, my question is, can I run some of the old games from the LCIII and System 7 on a G4 with OS-X?

Does this depend on having OS9 on the computer?

What about the newer models that I read here won't boot OS9?

I see Maelstrom and Glider has been ported to OS-X, but Jewelbox's author says it's compatible with OS-X, but not "carbonized." What does that mean?

Anyone playing Diamonds (pre-3D), Scarab of Ra, Solarian II, Spectre, Leprechaun, Tetris Max, Glypha, or dare I ask, Bonk, on OS-X? Anyone remember Captain Magneto from pre-MultiFinder days? :)

Is it a matter of gathering up the old game disks and trying them at a Mac store?

Thanks,

2. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

For the really old games...

For the really old games (9" b&w) I would recommend vMac:

http://www.bannister.org/software/vmac.htm

It's a Mac Plus emulator that works in Mac OS X. Most of the really old games should run perfectly. Younger games (released before 2001) would have to be updated or rewritten in Carbon or Cocoa, and most shareware/freeware authours don't bother to do that.

3. Moe thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! That would be pretty ironic if I could play Captain Magneto and the later stuff wouldn't work!

4. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Try Basilisk for OSX - you can track it down at www.emulation.net

You'll need an original rom image (much like with vMac - the other excellent 68k Mac emulator) for the program to run.

Basilisk was originally written for MS-DOS computers (and, latterly, Win32). It's bloody good - so good in fact, that I loaded it onto dozens of PC's at work (all running WindowsNT...), and launched it in full-screen mode just for a laugh...

It pissed a fair few people off, seeing a Mac startup screen on their PC!

:p HA!

5. Moe thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! What Mac software would I need to grab the ROM image out of my SE and LCIII?

6. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

If you go to the Basillsk II homepage (you'll find a link on emulation.net), you'll find software to extract the ROM file. You'll need a Mac II ROM, a Mac Classic ROM or a Quadra 900 ROM. But you can easily find a Quadra 900 ROM on the net, although that's not the way you SHOULD do it...

7. Moe thread starter macrumors regular