Classic doesn't boot!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Plymouthbreezer, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Get gets stuck just after I go to launch it. In the menu bar, the OS 9 icon is flashing as if it's starting, but it never does get past this point (see screenshot).

Any rough ideas. I'll provide more specific info upon request.

Attached Files:

2. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

Hi,
    I've been having this problem too. Starting Classic with Extensions disabled seems to fix it (hold down Shift as Classic starts up). Unfortunately I don't use Classic enough to warrant finding anything more than a quick-fix, so hopefully someone else can come up with a long-term solution.

Tim.

3. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Ditto. I'm having the exact same problem. Sorry I cant help. :eek:

i'm running a latest revision ibook with tiger 10.4.1. Plymouthbreezer, you might want to list your specs as well. It usually helps out.

Attached Files:

4. H&Kie macrumors regular

I know a few years ago (don't know exactly when, but I believe it was in the 10.1 period) Apple stopped ability to boot in OS 9 on their new models. I know this isn't a solution, but it might be the problem...

5. Mac-Xpert macrumors 6502

This has nothing to do with that. The dropped support for OS-9 only meant that the machines that came after that could not dual boot in OS-9 and OS-X, but only boot in OS-X. Classic should still work on every machine.

I suggest removing classic, and reinstalling it from the disk that came with the computer. You might like to move the extensions and control panels folders before you remove classic, so that you can put the extensions and control panels back in the new classic.

6. Plymouthbreezer thread starter macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I'm running Classic under 10.4.1 on a 1GHz G4 iMac.

It's really bothering me... I guess I'll try the re-install of the system folder?

7. Plymouthbreezer thread starter macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Errr... you can't install Classic without installing the other, original software?? :confused:

I turned off extensions, but still nothing. :mad:

8. Mac-Xpert macrumors 6502

Can't you remove classic and reinstall it from the "Additional Software & AHT" disk that came with your computer?

9. phreakout13 macrumors 6502

phreakout13

OOH! I had this exact same problem after I got Tiger! I reinstalled the classic support software several times, and it never worked. I spent a whole day using weird programs to fix and such, but nothing worked. I finally gave up and reinstalled OS X, and it works fine. I know you may not want to, but it might be the only way:(

10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Have you tried ditching the preference files:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.classic.plist (where ~/ is your user's home folder)

and

/System Folder/Preferences/Classic Preferences (I think that's the path, I have installed classic and OS 9 in Norwegian and OS X in English, don't ask :rolleyes:, but it should be something similar...)

11. Plymouthbreezer thread starter macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I don't have that disk. I only have a Hardware test CD and the Restore CD.

I don't have that first file anywhere on my computer. :eek: Ditching the second file did nothing, so I put it back.

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

if you don't have an installer disk then you're prossibly trying to just copy a system folder from somewhere without running the installer?

If so, that folder may be missing some piece of software that you need for your particular computer and that's why your computer hangs up when you try to boot OS 9

13. Plymouthbreezer thread starter macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

No... It (Classic) has worked for two years on my computer. It just stopped working yesterday.

14. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

How convenient

I, too, have been having trouble with Classic in the last few weeks. I'm not sure exactly when the problem began (I don't use Classic often, but there are a few little apps that still have no equivalents in OS X), but I think it all went down after I installed a new 1GB stick of RAM in my PowerBook. The timing of the Classic problem also corresponds with broken games 4x4 Evolution 2 and Solitaire Forever. I've tried removing the RAM, but no luck in making things better. I've tried booting from an external backup (from before I installed the RAM in the first place), but to no avail. Classic is what I really want to get working again, so I've concentrated most of my efforts on that. The error message I get when trying to start Classic is:

There is a problem with updating the Classic-specific files.
    Classic was unable to update its files in "System Folder" on "Calvin"

I've tried everything I know to make it work, including messing with user privileges and complete re-installs of the Classic software. Nothing works. :(

The two games that broke both rely heavily on OpenGL. When launching 4x4 Evolution 2, it always starts with an Options screen where you can set resolution, detail, select graphics cards, et cetera. Funny thing is that my nVidia graphics card doesn't appear in the options anymore. System Profiler still recognises its presence, though. Is it possible that there might be a connection?

In case anyone's interested, I'm running Mac OS X.3.9 on a 1.33GHz 12" PowerBook with 1.25GB RAM. The 1GB stick I added is from OmniTechnologies. I think I might have to whip out the AppleCare soon...

15. Plymouthbreezer thread starter macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

16. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

so just to clarify....it was working fine for two years....you didn't change a thing, delete anything or install anything new; for example, you didnt install any new software that required Classic.... and then out of the blue it stopped working?

17. Plymouthbreezer thread starter macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Sí.

18. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

how about after you installed the OS 10.4.1 upgrade? have you been able to use Classic since then?

19. Plymouthbreezer thread starter macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

It worked fine since the upgrade to 10.4.1, which has been a few weeks. :(

Classic has been used on a daily basis since this computer was brandy new. I didn't seem to do anything that would knowingly cause it to not boot.

20. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

since it stopped working relatively soon after installing 10.4.1, maybe it's something that's gone wrong with 10.4.1 classic support and not a problem with Classic itself??

have you tried the "repair permissions, etc"?? that's the usual recommendation for OS 10 issues and maybe worth a try

21. Plymouthbreezer thread starter macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Yeah, I did all the basic stuff first...

It worked for a few weeks with 10.4.1, so I don't think that 10.4.1 is the cause.

22. TyWahn macrumors 6502

TyWahn

Wow!

All of a sudden (since yesterday) I can not get my Classic to boot on my G5 at work. I tried repairing permissions as well, but it did nothing!
    I didn't invest too much time into troubleshoting because I had work to do, but this is freaky!

23. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

well, that's the thing.....it worked fine for like two years and then you made a significant change to your set up by installing a new OS......so it's logical to suspect a connection somehow

it's possible that you've stumbled across a bug in 10.4.1, or maybe classic support in 10.4.1 isn't as stabile as it was under earlier versions of OS 10 and that somehow something got corrupted in the new installation.......

LOL, or yeah, it might not be the fault of 10.4.1 at all.....but the timing is suspicious........don't suppose you've tried reinstalling 10.4 yet?

24. Plymouthbreezer thread starter macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

No, no... You're misunderstanding me I think.

I updated to 10.4.1 when it was released a few weeks ago, and I have used Classic daily since. Don't you think if it was to break due to 10.4.1, it would do it right after I upgrade and not four weeks later? :rolleyes: :eek:

No... I haven't (nor do I want to) reinstall Tiger. I already had to do that once back in May, I don't feel like doing it again.

25. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

no, I understood that..............

well, bugs don't always break things instantly......could be that you took four weeks to do the "wrong thing" as far as 10.4.1 encountering the problem and then it broke........ If it's reasonable to think that Classic would work fine for TWO YEARS and then suddenly break, it doesn't seem out of the question to think that it might only take four weeks for 10.4.1 to break something.

You said you hadn't made any changes recently but it turns out you had....you'd installed a new operating system! :rolleyes:

If you want to ignore that....then fine, ignore it