Classic EF lenses you use or recommend

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by 840quadra, Dec 21, 2006.

1. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

After many hours of research on lens reviews online, I am looking into some classic lenses that will work well with my 30d. I never really considered them, until I read a review on a site that has reviews on mostly new lenses. Since then, I have looked into this topic much more deeply, and am impressed with some of Canon's discontinued glass.

I have already committed to buying a EF 35-135mm f/4-5.6 USM (ring style) locally, after reading some rave reviews, and seeing sample images. I am also fairly certain that I will end up with the MK1 50mm 1.8 Prime, as well as the EF 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5 Mark II.

These lenses can be hit or miss both in condition, quality, and price, so I want to be careful before I buy one or two of them. I was able to get the EF35-135 for under $100, so if it doesn't work out it looks like they go for over $100 on ebay daily.

Any thoughts, suggestions from the experienced masses ?

Thanks!

840quadra

2. coldrain macrumors regular

The 28-105 f3.5-4.5 USM and 28-105 f3.5-4.5 USM II are maybe a better choice than the 28-70. They have very good colour and contrast for a very low price.

Other lenses that are worth considering IF you come across them are indeed the 50mm f1.8 mk1... better build quality than the mk2.

And the 100-300 f5.6 L. But only if you find it very cheap, because the amazing new EF 70-300 IS USM outperforms it in every way.

And two lenses that are going to expensive always:

The 85mm f1.2 mk1.

And the amazing and rare 50mm f1.0.

3. 840quadra thread starter Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Thanks,

Actually have had that page bookmarked for a long time now, used it to help me decide to get a Digital SLR. :)

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am covered in the long zoom range. I have an order for the 70-300 IS USM in with my local camera shop to pick up in 2 weeks :) .

The 50mm is really high on my list currently, I am just watching for good condition / fair priced MK1 models. I will also look into some of the other suggestions on your list.

Thanks!