Classic Environment?! New iBook user question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by soccerfan, Jul 3, 2004.

1. soccerfan macrumors member

I have a G3 and a ton of legacy software - ie I still use (religiously) Photoshop 4.

If I buy an iBook, then how do I handle the older stuff? I know that I can run it with the "Classic Environment" but a couple of questions:

1. Can I run OS9 with the lastest version of OSX?
    2. Is it possible to "boot into" OS9 on a modern iBook?
    3. Could I even keep a mirror of my current setup on a partition on my Hard Drive so that I could boot into it?
    4. If you're running something with classic (ie photoshop) what happens with all the extensions, control panels, added filters, etc.?

I guess I'm just not altogether sure how that all works.

Any advice is appreciated!!

2. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Neither am I, but my school has a lot of ancient programs that require OS9.

1) Yes. When you open Photoshop 4 for example, OS9 will load. The toolbar will change to OS9 and you will be able to run your program.

2) I think so. I have read on eBay a lot of people stating that their computers can Dual-Boot.

3) Not sure.

4) Not quite sure as to what you mean so...basically to my knowledge it should stay the same...I mean if that is your default program I wouldn't think anything would change...not really sure...sorry.

Mike

3. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I do not believe that the newest iBooks can boot directly into OS9. So I wouldn't count on that. I think that the G4 towers that are left are the last of the dual-boot computers. Someone else can correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure the new iBooks are not dual boot. Good luck with whatever you do.

4. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

1. You can run Classic Mode with OS X. It should handle everything just fine.

2. No.

3. No.

4. Classic Mode acts like an OS 9 install with the exception of power management and some other aspects. It has its own extensions, preferences, etc. You might even have to rebuild your classic desktop. It acts like OS 9 within OS X so it follows all the usual OS 9 rules.

5. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

contrary to whatmost have said i believe yu can dualboot but you must clean install osx and pick the option for it

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....not on the latest G4 iBooks. If you look at the iBook Manual posted at Apple it states - "Note - Mac OS 9 cannot be installed as a primary Operating System on your iBook G4." End of story.....oh yeah!

7. soccerfan thread starter macrumors member