"classic" FPS games for mac?

Discussion in 'Games' started by toezter, Aug 21, 2005.

1. toezter macrumors regular

toezter

i really miss the old school CS. wondering if there is something similar, preferably same engine as CS.

Thanks.

2. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

if you mean counterstrike, then sorry--valve has never, and most likely will never, release any mac games :eek: umm...there's marathon, but that only runs in classic mode. also quake 3 and its derivatives, and a lot more.

3. sambo. macrumors regular

sambo.

original UT

the greatest FPS EVER! :eek: :cool: :cool:

4. AppleAce macrumors regular

Definitely Marathon. And with AlephOne, Marathon will run natively in OS X. There were a couple of threads on this a while back.
    here
    and here
    There are also a bunch of high res textures available that make the graphics look a lot better.
    But yeah, on Macs, Marathon is *THE* Old School FPS.

And Unreal tournament is quite good as well.

5. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Marathon remains the best shooter ever made in my opinion.

6. toezter thread starter macrumors regular

toezter

for the record, i said something SIMILAR, not "oh i want CS on my mac". yes i do know that valve did not make a mac version.

i took a look at marathon, reminds me of doom and wolfenstein. too many days wasted on those.

anything with "real" guns, as in name wise, and performance? UT2k4 i might go back to if there's nothing else.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You should take a look at the mods for UT2004. There are several out there worthy and one similar to CS.

8. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

i can never get UT2k4 mods to work...they never come with directions on how to install.....i rele wanted to try the halo mod but never could get it working....

9. Schmittroth macrumors regular

Schmittroth

Santaduck has a OSX native mod installer that works pretty well. If you search the forums he's posted the link several times. The problem with the Halo mod is that when the Halo bots get put into standard UT game play they have shields automatically while you don't. An interesting alternative to raising the difficulty though.