Classic "Hold Click" in OS X

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Rantipole, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Rantipole macrumors 6502

Rantipole

Hello, I just converted to OS X this weekend. ( I know....)

Anyway, in Mac Classic, instead of Control-Click, you could "hold click" to get the Control Click menu. This does not appear to be the case in OS X.

Is there a setting somewhere that I can't find that will enable the "hold click"? Or is that gone for good?

Thanks.

2. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

From what I know. You can't do it except in a few rare cases like hold-clicking an application in the dock.

3. Rantipole thread starter macrumors 6502

Rantipole

Yep, so far I have found hold-click only still works in, of all things, Netscape! :O

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

At the risk of sounding stupid, can you explain what this 'hold-click' is?

5. brap macrumors 68000

In older Systems, instead of getting contextual menus by control-click, all you had to do was hold the mouse button down. Simple, yet sucky for productivity.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Thats a cool feature. It may be less productive, but its nice for those few instances that you only have one hand available. I see it works for the dock and firefox. I wonder why its pretty much gone.

7. Rantipole thread starter macrumors 6502

Rantipole

Well, now that I've gotten used to the fact my new keyboard has Control on BOTH sides of the keyboard, I have to admit it is less of an issue. My old keyboard only had Control on the left side. But, I kept my mouse on the left side! So, it would be a royal pita.

But, now I can do Control with my right hand, and click with my left. Still, it is odd why they got rid of it! :confused:

8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I am guessing that because of the availability of two+ button mice for macs now vs. when OS 8 came out.

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

As far as I know, hold click only worked in web browsers and wasn't supported in any other applications.

Why not get a 2 or 3 button mouse or trackball?

10. live4ever macrumors 6502a