Classic Mac Folding

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by dpaanlka, Aug 12, 2006.

1. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Is there any utility out there that I can add to System 7 Today so that my visitors can get in on the folding fun?

If not, somebody should make one.

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

3. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I would hardly say it's *just for me* :rolleyes: The SETI@home FAQ says this:

However, the link is broken.

4. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

5. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Do they have a 68k client? I remember that distributed.net had one, and it was funny comparing an SE/30 to a (then top-of-the-line) 4-way 550 MHz Pentium III Xeon system at work.

And to think, the Mac Pro 3.0 GHz has five and a half times the processing power of that old system, for less than the cost of a SINGLE processor from that old system. (A 550 MHz/2MB cache Pentium III Xeon was $3,692 at intro, compared to an otherwise-stock Mac Pro 3.0 GHz at $3299.) The old server also only supported 4 GB of RAM, max. (In 16 PC-100 DIMM slots, each supporting a max 256 MB.) Compare that to the Xeon Xserve, which also has 16 DIMM slots, but supporting up to 4 GB in each slot, for a max of 32 GB of RAM.

6. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Sadly it doesn't even seem to want to connect any more...

Frown :(

Shame... I have soooo many PowerPC Macs just lying around being sad.

7. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

Do you have the link to the download? Maybe if you posted a link to the download on your site, or hosted the download on your site, people could play around with it to adjust settings to see if we can work together and get it to work.

Also, I haven't forgotten about you! I will be looking at the specs of that 5300 today and get back to you in my other thread. I went outta town for awhile.