Classic mode in new PowerBooks

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by macphoria, Feb 12, 2003.

1. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

Has anyone tested Classic Mode (OS 9 within OS X) with new 12inch or 17inch PowerBooks?

2. moby1 macrumors 6502

Yes.

I have started up Classic on my new 12" PowerBook several times.

It starts very fast and runs almost imperceptably - even with the stock 256 RAM - although I did just update to 640.

There are still a couple of utilities I like that are classic only. The only app' left (for me) is TypeStyler.

moby1

3. moby1 macrumors 6502

Now that you mentioned it...

How does Classic install on these machines?

I usually set up several partitions. Classic must install as a package with the OS X install CD for this machine...?

4. KingArthur macrumors regular

Now that Macs are not able to boot into "classic" (ie OS9), X and classic must be installed on the same partition. You can't even start-up norton Systemworks from the CD anymore b/c it is an OS9 system. Essentially, if you want to be able to unmount a system disk (as is done with SpeedDisk and DiskDoctor when problems are found and other utilities), you must install a system on TWO partitions, both with OS X and Classic, and boot from one and optimize the other, then boot to the other and optimize the first one. If you have three or four partitions or more, then all you need is two of them with a system. It really sucks, but we can just hope that Symantic and other companies that make bootable CDs are going to find a way to get a stripped down version of OS X on a CD along with their programs, and we also must hope that they are willing to put forth the resources to do this.

5. bellis1 macrumors 6502

My experience

My 12" has no option of booting in OS9 and I have not tried booting an OS9 disc but I will bet that it does not work. But the classic seems to work very nicely and is integrated very well. I can hardly tell the difference b/w the programs. I am very impressed with it so far. However I am a little apprehensive that I dont even know where a system 9 system folder is. What if you need to manage extensions, etc.? I have not ran into that problem yet but am not sure what will happen.

6. KingArthur macrumors regular

That is what I am saying. New macs are not ABLE to boot into OS9. There is a lock from that. I am sure there are hacks, but I don't know where.

OS X isn't as easy to manage the extensions with as OS9. If you are referring to the "classic" mode's extensions, um, probably the best idea is to search for a known extension and find what folder it is kept under and that is probably the OS9 extensions folder. It'll take some looking, but I bet you can find it.

Isn't there an OS 9 apple-menu that you can access when using a classic app? If so, check to see if it has a "control panels" menu and if so, just use the extension manager (unless you are someone like me who would rather do everything manually b/c it is more fun and thurough;) ).