Classic movie scenes

Discussion in 'Community' started by Thomas Veil, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    This week I had the pleasure of, not once, but twice, running across "Jaws" as I was flipping channels. It's been years since I'd seen that film, and I'd forgotten how good it was.

There were two scenes in particular that stand out in my mind, even now. The first was the one where Chief Brody (Roy Scheider) is tossing chum into the water, and the shark appears out of nowhere and comes close enough to take his arm off. Brody, having had the crap scared out of him, backs away until he reaches Quint and says, "You're gonna need a bigger boat."

The other classic scene is a spoiler. (Click and drag across the text to read.) It's the end, where Brody has tossed an oxygen tank into the shark's mouth, and the boat is going down for good as the shark moves in for the kill, and it looks like curtains for Brody...until he says, "Die, you son of a b----!" and fires and the shark explodes into a million pieces. I remember seeing that scene in the theater, and the audience just went wild cheering and applauding. :D

Anyway, those are two classic movie scenes I relived this week. Got any favorites of your own?
  2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Ice Age - "Look a dinner and a show..."

A Bugs Life - "It's our lot in life, it's not a lot, but it's life..."
  3. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    The Towering Inferno <-- DVD

Two scenes, one where the criminal's wife (I don't do well with names) leaps out of the building to a firey death...the other being most of the time in the outdoor elevator scene after its main cables break.

Man, those 1974 explosions sound real nice, even though their quality isn't what you'd expect today.
  4. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    Perhaps a little obscure, but there is a scene in the Vampire movie Nadja, where the protaganist, contemplating her existence walks down a city street with snow falling. Her facial expressions,combined with luscious B&W photography and a perfect Portishead song, it is beautiful...sorry for a lousy description

*edit* I forgot to mention, many scenes from 2001, Blade Runner and a different set of "classic", the ends of Casablanca and Breakfast at Tiffany's...
  5. Stike macrumors 65816

Jan 31, 2002
    Session 9 - When Gordon is speaking into his broken cell phone. Heartbreaking stuff.
  6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Though I remember standing in a a line that wrapped around the "uni-plex" at the time. And we were in awe of the reality of the film at the time....
  7. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  8. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Jun 3, 2002
    The scene in The Empire Strikes Back, when Luke finds out Darth Vader is his father NOOOOOOOOOO! :)
  9. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    Now that someone mentioned "Casablanca"...

One of my favorite scenes is in Rick's Cafe, when the Germans begin to sing some Nazi song and Victor Lazlo, incensed, goes up to the band and tells them to play "Le Marseilles" (sp?). They hesitate. "Play it!" he orders. The band members look over to Rick, who nods, and as the band plays, the entire cafe stands to sing the French anthem, completely drowning the Nazis out.

That was so cool.
  10. Oirectine macrumors regular

Aug 11, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan

The scene in Platoon in which the army guys kill those civilians and then burn their village. It was very moving to me the first time I saw it, and it is still really powerful every time I see it. Definitely the most powerful war movie I've ever seen.
  11. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2003
    that town east of ann arbor
    in terminator 2, when the governator says something like "no, there is one more chip that we must destroy... i know now why you cry..." lowers himself into the molten medal, theme music kicks in and a low angle shot of sarah and john conner with tears in his eyes. watches the terminator sacrifice himself. that always at least puts mist in my eyes. jim camerons best work!
  12. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

Feb 20, 2004
    in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Schneider's 'bigger boat' remark is certainly a classic moment of understatement.

Fav scenes of mine:

- Orson Welles window-lit doorway entrance on screen as Harry Lime in The Third Man.

- The very final walk-away scene to Hitchcock's The Birds.

- Withnail's bedraggled-appearance rock-top exclamaition to an uninhabited rain-soaked landscape that one day "I'm going to be a star".

- Morgan Freeman recommending to Paltrow in Se7en that if she chooses not to terminate she should spoil the child at every opportunity she gets; a brilliant shaft of positivity after 70 minutes of raw uncompromising despair.
  13. ecche macrumors regular

Dec 14, 2003
    a very kiwi place
    Peter Sellers in 'The Party' (1968), after feeding the caged parrot: 'Having their birdie num-nums'.
  14. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

Jan 4, 2004
    in the toe-jam of greatness (Fort Worth)
    The Graduate:
    Pool SCUBA scene
    banging on the glass at the back of the chapel during the wedding along with the back of the bus

The Swimmer:
    the public pool scene at the end as well as the final part when he returns to his empty home
  15. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Feb 19, 2003
    Planet Zebes
    2001 A Space Odyssey:
    when Hal sings 'Daisy' while being terminated/disconnected by Dave Bowman
  16. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    ooo i have to agree with you there that was kinda freaky
  17. Lyle macrumors 68000

Jun 11, 2003
    Madison, Alabama
    Here are a few that come to mind immediately. I will try not to give away any spoilers. If you've seen these movies, you'll know the scenes I'm talking about.

The tearjerker scenes:

• "I'll be right here," from E.T.: The Extraterrestrial.
    • "You had me from 'Hello'," from Jerry Maguire.
    • When Debra Winger's sons come to see her in the hospital in Terms of Endearment.
    The ROTFLMAO scenes:

• John Belushi pleading with Carrie Fisher to spare his life, near the end of The Blues Brothers.
    • The over-the-top car chases in The Blues Brothers and Raising Arizona.
    • It's hard to pick just one line, but maybe when Evelle asks H.I.: "What's he need, his dip-tet?" from Raising Arizona.
    • Inspector Clouseau declaring, “I was the Pavlova of the parallels, you know," in The Pink Panther Strikes Again, right before he plummets down the staircase.
    • Let's just make that most every scene in every Pink Panther movie.
    All-around great scenes:

• The scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark, when Indiana Jones is confronted by a swordsman in the marketplace.
    • The final duel between Obi-Wan Kenobi and Darth Vader, towards the end of Star Wars.
  18. P-Worm macrumors 68020

Jul 16, 2002
    Salt Lake City, UT

• Oh yeah! Totally awesome part. What about in The Temple of Doom when they play off the same thing, but Indy doesn't have his gun? :D

A great scene:

Fight Club at the end where he watches Tyler Durdens master work bring the city to dust. Totally awesome.

19. sushi Moderator emeritus

Jul 19, 2002
    Brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it! Especially when she finally forgives him, and he drops her and runs off. So funny! :D

Some additions:

Black Rain When the plates are revealed (under the shirts) at the end.

North by Northwest Chase scene on Mount Rushmore.

Billy Jack during the major confrontation, when he discusses what he is going to do with his foot, then does it. "And you know what? There isn't a thing that you can do about it." "Really" "Really" Wap!

20. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2002
    The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    Pulp Fiction: "Oh I'm sorry did I break your concentration?"

Pulp Fiction: "mmmm hmmmmm, this IS a tasty burger"

Pulp Fiction: "Oh man I shot Marvin in the face"
    "Why the f*#k'd you do that?!"
    "I didn't mean to do it it was an accident"

Pulp Fiction: "What does Marselous Wallace look like?"
    "What country you from?
    "What ain't no country I ever heard of, do they speak English in What?!?"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... man i love that movie. every scene from that movie should be on this list! ;) :D
  21. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    Another Clouseau moment, after he has allowed a phony "blind beggar" to escape:

Chief Inspector Dreyfuss: "The beggar was a lookout for the robbers."

Clouseau: "That is impossible."

Dreyfuss: "Why?"

Clouseau: "He was blind! How can a blind man be a lookout?"

Dreyfuss: "How can an idiot be a policeman? Answer me that!"

Clouseau: "It's very simple...all you have to do is enlist..."
  22. iBook macrumors regular

May 3, 2004
    On a tugboat
    The English Patient

One of my favorite scenes is in the English patient. The film version is different than in the book, so I have may have the characters confused, but....

There's a great scene where Kip takes Hana to a very dark old church and lifts her on a rope up toward the ceiling. She holds a torch that illuminates the church walls and reveals in glimpses the paintings as she swings from one wall to the next. It's a beautiful, mystical moment.
  23. parrothead macrumors 6502a

Sep 24, 2003
    Edmonds, WA
    One of the best is when Jack Nicholson does his speech at the end of A Few Good Men. "You WANT me on that wall, you NEED me on that wall.... all you did was weaken a country today"

Another one of my favorites is from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Basically it is all the scenes where Steve Martin's character plays Ruprect. I don't think I have ever laughed harder at anything.

And of course when Forrest Gump tells about how Lt. Dan invested his money in "a little fruit company!"
  24. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Dole bananas? :rolleyes:
  25. kgarner macrumors 68000

Jan 28, 2004
    Nope. Chiquita!