classic not starting

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tommulligan, Apr 8, 2006.

1. tommulligan macrumors newbie

Just upgraded to OS 10.4.5 When I try to run classic, half way through startup I get a, "files cannot update" message. My only option is to quit. I can restart the computer (G4 Dual 533) under 9.2 but this doesn't help me since I cut and paste info between classic and OS X apps.

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Usually those error message are along the lines of "Classic cannot update files in 'System Folder' because __________." Were you lucky enough to get a because? That might lead to suggestions on what to fix.

3. tommulligan thread starter macrumors newbie

No, the message reads "There is a problem with updating the Classic-specific files. Classic was unable to update its files in "System Folder" on "Final Cut" ".

final cut is the name of the startup hard drive.

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Okay, you'll want to see what Disk Utility has to say about that drive (verify the disk; the permissions thing is unlikely to help in this case but it also doesn't hurt to check). If no errors are found, you'll want to peek at the ownership of the System Folder etc. to see if they are strange ("no access" icons etc.)

Classic problems can be less than fun to find, because problems that get in the way of Classic running often aren't important to OS 9 itself (a real older Mac can often boot from such "broken" system folders just fine). It may end up being easiest to rename that system folder safely out of the way, then reinstall the OS 9 stuff from your restore CD or DVD.

5. tommulligan thread starter macrumors newbie

Disk utility says everything is fine. I'm not seeing any icons. The problem with reinstalling from original is that it comes with Quicktime 4. When I use that i geet a message saying OS X needs at least Quicktime 6. So i change Quicktime and I'm back to the original problem. I'll check for icons but not exactly sure what to look for.

Tom

6. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Do you have the DivX codec installed? I had a problem quite some time ago with Classic and the DivX codec component for QuickTime. I've forgotten the solution at the moment... but it had something to do with the name of that component. Removing it or renaming it got Classic to load fine. Of course, it also broke DivX.

Then again, I don't even have Classic installed anymore.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Can you start Classic with the extensions off?