classic on panther + heroes iii

Discussion in 'Games' started by Thanatoast, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

aargh! i installed panther, and now i'm completely frustrated. all i want in the world right at this moment is to play heroes of might and magic iii. yet woe is me and my iMac because freakin' panther doesn't like classic for some god-forsaken reason.

so i dragged the 'ole os9 system folder to my drive. seems to work. classic preferences now admit to seeing a classic folder. but when i start heroes iii i get a "could not find otutilitylib" error and there's also a message about "quicktime streaming extras" not being installed.

i've re-installed quicktime 6.03 for os9, but this doesn't seem to have helped. can anyone, in very small words and short steps, explain to me what's going wrong and how to fix it? i would bless you and your firstborn if you could please, please help. thank you so much.

2. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

I'm sorry you can't play heroes III... I suggest going out and getting heroes IV. It works great in OS X and is a better game. Heroes III was a less balanced and slower game than both heroes II and heroes IV. Heroes can fight in heroes IV - what could be cooler than that?

3. Thanatoast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

heroes iv better than heroes iii? i not sure i agree with you. i'm a big fan of heroes iii, heroes iv was just weird (i played it on a friend's pc). additionally, i don't have the money to throw down on a new video game. :(

4. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

it isn't really new... I'm sure you could find it for real cheap on ebay. It is weird and took me a while to get into it, but after playing it for a while i realized how unbalanced heroes III was. It required too much micromanagement and certain races were much better on certain maps. Obviously it's a matter of opinion - I didn't like hmm 4 the first few times I played it but I adjusted. They definitely rebuilt the game from concept up.

On a completely separate topic - bittorent has a lot of mac games which can be illegally download. That would be immoral of course. ;-)