Classic OS 9 in Tiger won't quit...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iSaint, Jun 13, 2005.

1. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I have a couple of programs that run under Classic OS 9. When I quit the programs, I discovered by looking at the SysStat Widget and Activity Monitor that Classic was still running in the background and taking up an extreme amount of resources. It shows up in Force Quit, and I do force quit it there, though it doesn't show up anywhere else.

The only program I'm using that requires Classic is Starry Night Backyard. I'm sure there's a newer version that will run in Tiger, but I'm not spending any money for stuff like that right now.

Anyone else have this problem? How do I get rid of Classic of I want to?

Thanks

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Real Mac OS used to do that too (execpt you had to physically reset instead of using a force quit thingy). That's why we have OS X now :D

You might try playing with extensions in the Classic control panel, turning them all off, then only enabling the ones that are really required to get your program running (finding out which those are through trial and error). INIT hell is another reason we have OS X now...

3. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

I've had this problem since Panther, and I always would just force quite Classic. One thing you can do is open system preferences, then click Classic then tick "show Classic status in menu bar". This will let you stop (quit) Classic instead of force quitting it.