Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Malus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2005
Hi, sorry for all the questions...but,

I just installed classic OS 9, and was wondering if its possible to change to os9 instead of osx format. Is there a way to see the desktop like it would be in os 9?? Thanks :)

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
Malus said:
Hi, sorry for all the questions...but,

I just installed classic OS 9, and was wondering if its possible to change to os9 instead of osx format. Is there a way to see the desktop like it would be in os 9?? Thanks :)

OK. The first thing you need to know is that there's a difference between Classic and OS 9. OS 9 was the operating system that came before OS X. Early OS X machines could dual-boot in either OS X or OS 9. Classic, however, is merely a windowing environment that can run OS 9 applications. If you have a recent Mac (I'm assuming you do), you cannot boot in OS 9, but you can use Classic to run OS 9 applications. That's the long answer. The short answer is, sorry, nope. :)

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
stridey said:
.... Classic, however, is merely a windowing environment that can run OS 9 applications. ...
Ah, no quite. To say that Classic is merely a windowing environment is to imply that it is somewhat like the X Windowing System or an alternative to Aqua. It is not. Classic is MacOS 9 running on top of MacOS X with some limitations. If your computer is MacOS 9-bootable, then Classic is the same software that MacOS 9 uses when it boots--with some differences. To most users, the major difference is that Classic uses the MacOS X Finder. To others, Classic has only limited access to hardware compared to MacOS 9. To still others, there are some software incompatibilities.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
stridey said:
If you have a recent Mac (I'm assuming you do), you cannot boot in OS 9, but you can use Classic to run OS 9 applications.

And if you have an older Mac, go to System Preferences > Startup Disk, and select the OS 9 folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.