classic preference pane missing?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by louis_sx, Jul 13, 2005.

1. louis_sx macrumors regular

Running Tiger 10.4.2, my Classic preference pane in the system preferences went bye-bye. Along with it, Classic doesn't start up anymore. Both an eMac 1.25GHz and a 12" PB 1.33

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

How did you install Tiger? Has Classic ever worked under Tiger and suddenly stop working or is this the first time you've tried to start it under 10.4.x?

If it stopped working after the 10.4.1 -> 10.4.2 update, have you tried repairing permissions and the rest of the usual wonder-drugs?

3. louis_sx thread starter macrumors regular

Tiger was a clean install on the PowerBook and an upgrade from 10.3.8 on the eMac. I know classic worked on the eMac because my wife uses Word Perfect 3.5e and it was working. I don't know about the PowerBook.

However, after rebooting both and repairing permissions, it eventually works...I went to the System Preferences screen and at first it doesn't show up, but after a couple seconds it shows up on both. Weird. Must just be me panicking.

4. freiheit macrumors 6502a

I for one would like to know how to get rid of Classic from the preferences pane and even remove all files for Classic from my system. I've never run a program in Classic. I never intend to run a program in Classic. Any app in 2005 that isn't MacOS X native either has an OSX counterpart that's good enough for me or isn't an app I"m too concerned with using (but since I came in straight to OSX without owning an older Mac, I may be an exception).

I did not specifically install Classic and I think even if I do go and try to launch it, it tells me it's not installed or something -- but the pref. pane is still there.

MacOS X 10.4.2 (from 10.4.1 from 10.4.0 from 10.3.9 from...)

5. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

Same here. What I've noticed is that when I were to open up the System Prefs, the Classic icon isn't there for a second or so, and then re-appears. It seems like the computer scans for a trace of OS9 and if it finds it, it shows the pane again?
    How can we get rid of this?!? :)

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

How can you get rid of what?

7. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

All you have to do to get rid of Classic is delete the Classic System folder (To do this, you'll probably have to make sure Classic isn't running) and Applications (OS 9) folder. Then, go into Macintosh HD:Library:preference Panes and delete the Classic preference pane. Just be careful and don't delete the OS X System or Applications folders.

8. louis_sx thread starter macrumors regular

You'll get "System Folder is needed by the system" when you try to delete the OS 9 folder. To get around that, simply safe boot...hold shift key from the chime until you get a login prompt (which will say "Safe Boot")...then you can delete it.

FWIW, the PB is classic-free since now my wife can use WP again (she hates MS office and the freeware Aqua stuff like NeoOffice, so she's using an OLD word processor out of spite, I think). Weirdness.

9. freiheit macrumors 6502a

Reveal Codes, baby!

Well I can kind of relate. Absolutely nothing in the world beats WordPerfect's Reveal Codes feature. I love OpenOffice.org and NeoOffice/J (most of the time -- it's a little too MS Office like) but Reveal Codes is the one feature I will always fondly remember and wish I could still use.

And thanks to louis_sx for that tip on getting completely rid of Classic.

10. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

11. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Or just drop into the terminal and do a
    Code:
    sudo rm -rf /System\ Folder
    That'll take care of it.

12. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

13. louis_sx thread starter macrumors regular

how'd you get it back Plymouthbreezer?

freiheit, that's one of about a thousand things that WP does that she loves. Good call! :D

14. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I have NO clue. I think it might have been the 10.4.2 update.